1920's Italian stiletto

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
noodle

1920's Italian stiletto

Post by noodle »

Upon the recent death of my father, a WW2 Army vet, I was given a switchblade owned by my grandfather. He served in the US Navy aboard the USS Alden during 1920-23. In addition to the stiletto I was given photos, a naval diary, and other souvenirs of his trips aboard that ship. (In addition I was also given a 1890-1920 era Bowie type hunting knife with stag handle) The ships record and his diary confirm being in Italy numerous times. My grandfather had told my father, older siblings, and myself that the stiletto knife was acquired at that time.

I admit I am no expert in knives. I would appreciate any info I can get from those in the know about this type of piece.
The only marking I have found is Maniago on the base of the blade. As you can see one side is missing a layer from the stag.
The knife is exactly as I received it. It is tight and works well.
I would appreciate any info related as to the specifics about this knife, as to care, opinions about restoration/repairs (if any), value range, and whatever else is deemed pertinent. To me it is a sentimental piece but I would appreciate knowing as much as possible.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
msf1.jpg
msf2.jpg
msf3.jpg
msf4.jpg
msf5.jpg
msf6.jpg
msf7.jpg
msf8.jpg
msf9.jpg
msf10.jpg
noodle

Re: 1920's Italian stiletto

Post by noodle »

More pics
Attachments
msf11.jpg
msf12.jpg
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You have a very fine example.
It does not need restoring, but you should wipe the steel parts down with WD 40 and a cloth. The little chunk of missing stag is inconsequential.
What is the length, open?

There are people who troll these forums looking for exactly what you have. Be careful dealing with them. Your knife is very valuable-more so than you might think.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
noodle

Post by noodle »

Thank you sir. I should have thought to include dimensions, its right at 9" when open.
As for value, I have no interest in selling my family heirloom. But I would like a range for insurance/loss purposes and general knowlege.
You confirmed what I suspected that originality is likely better to preserve than repair. I mess with old guns a little bit
as well as old cars and that general principle is not unknown to me, I just wasn't sure about knives.
Anything else you can tell me is very much appreciated!
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

noodle - just an FYI in case you did not know, the first response you got is from one of the foremost experts on automatic knives, Bill Deshivs. It doesn't get much better than Bill! http://billdeshivs.com/bd/
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
noodle

Post by noodle »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 pm noodle - just an FYI in case you did not know, the first response you got is from one of the foremost experts on automatic knives, Bill Deshivs. It doesn't get much better than Bill! http://billdeshivs.com/bd/
Good to know.
I am interested in learning anything I can about my grandfathers knife.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Noodle-

You can clean the blade and backspring with 0000 steel wool. Use it dry, and wipe blow off any residue. Then give it a spritz of WD 40 and wipe clean and dry. Occasionally do the WD 40 thing (or light oil) again to keep new oxidation down.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Sticks of Fire

Post by Sticks of Fire »

Great knife!

I wouldn’t trust anything you read on the interwebs about this type of knife. Nor clean it in any way nor get advice from people who have never bought or collected this type of knife.

Talk to real collectors first.
noodle

Post by noodle »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:45 am Noodle-

You can clean the blade and backspring with 0000 steel wool. Use it dry, and wipe blow off any residue. Then give it a spritz of WD 40 and wipe clean and dry. Occasionally do the WD 40 thing (or light oil) again to keep new oxidation down.
Thanks for your help and info. Its appreciated.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The older knives were made from 1095 Carbon Steel. Those made from Stainless Steel had softer composition. Use light solvents to clean knives of this vintage and keep them oiled with a Teflon and oil based lubricant. I like the new corrosion-resistant steels. They can be made to perform as desired and hold a great edge.

I want a 10.75" Fishtail Picklock Automatic (the old Sicilian style from the 1930's). If I could have one with either an CPM-S30V or Elmax steel and Brazilian Cow Horn Scales. THAT'S the stuff!
noodle

Post by noodle »

Captain O wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 pm The older knives were made from 1095 Carbon Steel. Those made from Stainless Steel had softer composition. Use light solvents to clean knives of this vintage and keep them oiled with a Teflon and oil based lubricant.
Thanks!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”