No one will build one for me!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

Re: No one will build one for me!

Post by Captain O »

I sent Jeremy a picture of the 9.75" Fishtail Picklock (sold by Grindworx) of which I own an example. I old him of how this needs to be a "working" automatic knife and not a display piece. Modern materials and proper engineering can resolve the shortcomings of the original carbon steel (1095) version that father bought 82 years ago. The Brazilian Cow Horn scales should hold up quite well. If this material is less than practical, I could have him use a "marbled" version of Micarta.

https://www.grindworx.com/imgs/knives/i ... -large.jpg

Who knows? ::shrug::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Did you offer $1800 for the build? That would get my attention if I could do the work!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

After some thought, $1600.00 is more in line with the cost of labor and materials.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Good news! I have almost reached an agreement with Jeremy Kreis to recreate my father's original 10.75" Latama Fishtail Picklock It will have a 4mm thick blade, nickel silver hardware and a 1095 satin finish blade and back spring. It will be a exact duplicate of my late father's knife (complete with the original clip point blade).

I have been waiting 45 years for this opportunity!

Huzzah and excelsior! ::groove:: ::ds:: ::tu:: 8)
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Jeremy said that he would begin building my knife by August 14th. ::ds:: ::tu:: 8)

The wait begins.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Congrats Captain, can't wait to see the finished product ::tu:: ::ds:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I have the finished product but can't post pictures. (Before you ask, I have no way of posting any).
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Perhaps Jeremy could post them for you , congrats!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well done mate, put a great feather in your cap ::tu:: .
Do you have a laptop pc? You can, if your fine with doing it, take a picture with it's screen camera. ::shrug::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Go to the Talkblade Forum and read the thread by the same name. Jeremy posted pictures on page 4 of the thread.
tommyw68

Post by tommyw68 »

Captain O wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 am No luck reaching Picklock Pat (Havlin).
I actually got an email from Pat Havlin this morning. Sadly, he said he stopped making knives about two years ago. Not sure what happened, but its a sad loss to knife collectors. I'm glad I had one made before he stopped, just wish I could get my hands on another...
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tommyw68 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:00 pm
Captain O wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 am No luck reaching Picklock Pat (Havlin).
I actually got an email from Pat Havlin this morning. Sadly, he said he stopped making knives about two years ago. Not sure what happened, but its a sad loss to knife collectors. I'm glad I had one made before he stopped, just wish I could get my hands on another...
::welcome:: to AAPK Tommy, ::handshake:: and congratulations on being an owner of a much coveted Havlin knife, wish I was! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”