Switchblade

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
NicoRombo

Switchblade

Post by NicoRombo »

Hello everyone , I found this knife in South of Italy , at the vintage market. It’s a real one or fake ? How can I clean it from the rust ? Thanks
Attachments
0B03DA04-DC46-49E2-B237-00C1AB9F580C.jpeg
33901471-E660-4813-B516-4BE3ABC70AF6.jpeg
CF55D4D1-A344-4A76-ADA3-9654C2F4447D.jpeg
E908DE3F-9408-4ABD-ADD6-B06F7010E8D9.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Switchblade

Post by Madmarco »

Hey Nico! ::welcome:: to AAPK! I'm a switchblade lover too, but I'm not terribly experienced with all the makers and brands. There's special forums to ask questions regarding cleaning and maintaining your knives, "Knife Related Q and A", it's on the "Index" page 4th. link from the top. Nice knife you have there, wait for some answers to be sure you don't do anything incorrectly and damage or de-value the knife! Be sure to stick around as you'll find a great bunch of very experienced and inexperienced collectors and enthusiasts! Again, WELCOME! 8)
8)
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Well if it works it must be a "real" switchblade!! It is not a really old one since it has the rocker bolster to release the lock and the acrylic scales. To remove the rust from the blade a little 0000 steel wool and light oil will do. I'd use a fine cut file on the pivot pin and the push button will be harder but the steel wool will likely be best there too. Tape off the acrylic so the wool doesn't dull the finish while working on the button.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Gunsil! What makes you say his knife is a swivel bolster release? Could it not be a picklock? Thanks! 8)
8)
NicoRombo

Post by NicoRombo »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:13 pm Hey Nico! ::welcome:: to AAPK! I'm a switchblade lover too, but I'm not terribly experienced with all the makers and brands. There's special forums to ask questions regarding cleaning and maintaining your knives, "Knife Related Q and A", it's on the "Index" page 4th. link from the top. Nice knife you have there, wait for some answers to be sure you don't do anything incorrectly and damage or de-value the knife! Be sure to stick around as you'll find a great bunch of very experienced and inexperienced collectors and enthusiasts! Again, WELCOME! 8)
thanks a lot! :D
NicoRombo

Post by NicoRombo »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:52 pm Well if it works it must be a "real" switchblade!! It is not a really old one since it has the rocker bolster to release the lock and the acrylic scales. To remove the rust from the blade a little 0000 steel wool and light oil will do. I'd use a fine cut file on the pivot pin and the push button will be harder but the steel wool will likely be best there too. Tape off the acrylic so the wool doesn't dull the finish while working on the button.
thanks for the advice ! ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 pm Gunsil! What makes you say his knife is a swivel bolster release? Could it not be a picklock? Thanks! 8)
The front left bolster is curved, this is a swivel bolster. Pick locks will not have a curved bolster. Unless yours is frozen due to rust if you pull back on the top of the front guard (on the curved bolster side) the bolster will lift the lock bar. Also no antique pick locks had acrylic handle scales. That rust on the backspring will be tough to remove, likely need a file there too.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:11 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 pm Gunsil! What makes you say his knife is a swivel bolster release? Could it not be a picklock? Thanks! 8)
The front left bolster is curved, this is a swivel bolster. Pick locks will not have a curved bolster. Unless yours is frozen due to rust if you pull back on the top of the front guard (on the curved bolster side) the bolster will lift the lock bar. Also no antique pick locks had acrylic handle scales. That rust on the backspring will be tough to remove, likely need a file there too.
Thanks Gunsil! I never knew how to spot a swivel bolster from a picklock, and your points make it clear! I'm looking at a S/B and a P/L in my collection right now and I definitely see the difference. 8)
8)
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

You're welcome sir. If the bolster were square cut it could not swivel.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Gunsil wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:00 pm You're welcome sir. If the bolster were square cut it could not swivel.
Exactly! 8)
8)
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

That is an Italian swivel bolster with a set of blue acrylic scales. It is an intereting collector's piece that should be a wonderful first knife for any collection. I hope that you gently remove the rust and lube it properly so that the cancer (rust) doesn't destroy the blade, back and kick springs.

Welcome aboard, mate!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”