Modern Gravity Knife

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Modern Gravity Knife

Post by 1967redrider »

I picked this up at auction, wasn't even sure it had a blade, but it functions perfectly. Kind of Art Deco looking, sharp on one edge, stainless. Anyone heard of Eagle?

Let me know what you think, thanks. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Modern Gravity Knife

Post by Madmarco »

I'm not sure about Eagle brand John, but Edgeco use to makes these back in the 80's. I believe they come in 2 sizes. There's an ebay seller called eprague who sells them in his online store for about US$75., so if you did better than that, ya done good! Fun knives! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

7 3/4" closed (*edit -open), Mark. $23.77 + shipping. ::tu:: ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:57 am 7 3/4" closed, Mark. $23.77 + shipping. ::tu:: ::tu::
I think yours is the larger one John, and you can't beat the price you paid! ::tu:: These knives are highly coveted by some collectors, so if you tire of it don't just give it away, do some research and you might get some good bucks for it! ::groove:: Very nice toy, congrats on the score! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

These are copies of an earlier Anton Wingen, Solingen gravity knife.
My theory is that the Asian company that made these actually made the later Wingen knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I had Anton Wingen in the back of my mind when I was thinking about Edgeco Bill. And I wouldn't doubt that your theory is 100% accurate. 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info, guys, greatly appreciated. ::handshake::

Mark, that's 4 1/2" closed, 7 3/4" open. ::facepalm::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

If that's the case John, I'm not sure if you have the larger one! ::shrug:: Ask Bill, he will know! ::idea:: And I just went to the eprague site, and yours is definitely an Edgeco product. ::huff:: I was wrong about the price though, it's US$59.95, but you still did very well! Don't know what the "Eagle" has to do with it though! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

As Bill said this is a copy of an Anton Wingen knife from the 1950's.Here is an ad and a picture of the two different sized knives I have. The larger is an original Wingen that was gifted to me by a good friend.He was the curator of the Witch Museum in Salem Massachusetts and it was found inside a wall when they were doing renovations.Who knows how long it had been there.
Attachments
GravityKnifeAd2.jpg
RZCDrawer1R-1 006.jpg
RZCDrawer1R-1 008.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like yours are 4 1/2" & 5 1/2" closed, Ray. Thanks for the info and picture! ::handshake::

DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

Eagle is an Asian knock-off of the Anton Wingen, Othello, gravity knife. I had one of the Othellos and now I'm sorry I sold it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DG Ralph wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 pm Eagle is an Asian knock-off of the Anton Wingen, Othello, gravity knife. I had one of the Othellos and now I'm sorry I sold it.
DG, are you the "Ralph" that designed the Madd Max" knives? ::shrug:: Thanks! 8)
8)
DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

Madmarco,
No I am not. Just a new guy to the forum. I collect mostly auto knives, particularly Italians, and some French Laguioles.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool knife John! ::tu:: And a fair price. ::nod:: Congrats on the nice find! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

TPK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:48 pm Cool knife John! ::tu:: And a fair price. ::nod:: Congrats on the nice find! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Thanks, Tom. ::handshake::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DG Ralph wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 pm Madmarco,
No I am not. Just a new guy to the forum. I collect mostly auto knives, particularly Italians, and some French Laguioles.
I think I welcomed you in another thread DG, but just in case I didn't, ::welcome:: ! I'm a fiend for autos, and living in Canada has made their acquisition kindda difficult, but I have so far managed to receive 30, with plans for many more. I also have about 150 usual and unusual manual folders from around the world. I've included a pic of my all-time favorite auto. It's an 11 1/4" oal lockback "Icepick" built by Ruben "Chad" Blades from the now defunct Roadsideimports.com , and has a 5mm bayonet blade riding on roller-bearing washers, solid brass hardware, black composite covers, and 5mm 1-piece spring. All the brass on this knife gives it a weight of nearly a pound, it virtually twists my wrist when fired, and locks-up as tight as a fixed blade. A real monster! I also own some AGA Campolin models, as well as a couple of Frank B.'s, Pro-Tech's, Ganzo's, and a bunch of cheapos for my "click therapy"! Nothing as satisfying as hearing an automatic knife "crack" open, don't ya think? 8) P.S.-Sorry to have sidetracked your thread John! ::handshake::
WIN_20210402_13_35_52_Pro.jpg
8)
DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

John,
Thanks for the welcome. That knife is a real prize. I've been deep into Italian stilettos for many long years. Love the Campolins and Frank Beltrames. I'm trying to find a Campolin 13" flat guard wasp,5mm, at a fair price. 😂. I look forward to following your posts.
DG Ralph
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DG Ralph wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 am John,
Thanks for the welcome. That knife is a real prize. I've been deep into Italian stilettos for many long years. Love the Campolins and Frank Beltrames. I'm trying to find a Campolin 13" flat guard wasp,5mm, at a fair price. 😂. I look forward to following your posts.
DG Ralph
DG! Thanks for the compliment on my knife. It really sounds like you know your knives, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn from you. I'm sure you already know this, but, if you go to www.3knives.com and search for the 13" Campolin you want, when you find it and click-on the knife, it will open in a new window with info telling you to sign-up for email notification when it's back in stock, and these guys actually do let you know. BTW, my name is Mark, the line where I said "sorry to sidetrack your post John", was directed to the fella who started this thread, I was just referring to him by name. Not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know. ::handshake:: Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DG Ralph wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 am John,
DG Ralph
I just checked www.3knives.com DG, and they have in stock, 13" AGA Campolin wasp body's with stag covers/E$360., or, US$424., and with cow horn or ebony covers/E$345., or, US$406. They also have abalone covers for E$510., or, US$600. Don't know if you consider those fair prices, but they've got em' if you wanna have a look. Also, being new here I don't know if you're aware that you can click-on MOST pictures and they will open in a new larger window, and if you click-on that pic it will enlarge so you can see details. 8)
8)
DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

Mark,
Sorry our posts got crossed. I'm a slow typist
Thanks again
Don
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DG Ralph wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 am Mark,
Sorry our posts got crossed. I'm a slow typist
Thanks again
Don
No problem Don! ::handshake:: I've only had my laptop for about 2 years, the first one I've ever owned, and I'm 67 years young, so I'm well acquainted with typing slow, not to mention "senior's moments"! LOL! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”