Simmons HDWE CO - Switchblade

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
cincitime
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Simmons HDWE CO - Switchblade

Post by cincitime »

I purchased this about 1979. At the time I was told that it was considered an "American Push Button" but made in Germany for Simmons Hardware of St Lewis. One side of the blade reads Simmons HDWE CO and below Germany. On the other side is O.R.G.M. FOREIGN. The knife is in mint condition. The knife is spring-operated but it opens by pressing down and moving the handle slightly sideways, no button, no indication of how to open it. Unlike a two-way knife that is similar in how it opens, this one can not be opened by hand. The movement of the handle is actually like the depression of the button that releases the blade. I'm not able to find another knife like it making it hard for me to establish a value for the knife.
Attachments
Simmons.jpg
IMG_20210211_103833_183.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Simmons HDWE CO - Switchblade

Post by Madmarco »

cincitime wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm I purchased this about 1979. At the time I was told that it was considered an "American Push Button" but made in Germany for Simmons Hardware of St Lewis. One side of the blade reads Simmons HDWE CO and below Germany. On the other side is O.R.G.M. FOREIGN. The knife is in mint condition. The knife is spring-operated but it opens by pressing down and moving the handle slightly sideways, no button, no indication of how to open it. Unlike a two-way knife that is similar in how it opens, this one can not be opened by hand. The movement of the handle is actually like the depression of the button that releases the blade. I'm not able to find another knife like it making it hard for me to establish a value for the knife.
Hey Cin! I can't help with your questions regarding your knife, ::shrug:: but I can say it's totally cool! ::nod:: Just wait patiently and someone will be along who can help. And, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

This is a backspring release type knife. It can be found in Meyers introduction to switchblades circa 1980.Page 69 its value in the book is 120.00 I cannot tell you the value today except that it is rare I do not have one and would offer 500.00 lt632ret@frontiernet.net. either way good luck with it.LT Lt632ret@frontiernet.net
Attachments
MVC-013S.JPG
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife was made by Wilhelm Weltersbach in Solingen, Germany.
The marking is "D.R.G.M." which is a post WW2 patent-type marking.
The mechanism is known as a "scale release."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
cincitime
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by cincitime »

Thank you for the updates. I had no idea what it was called. It's one of my favorites. I'm inventorying all my knives and considering selling the entire collection. I collect mostly American Switchblades but I have a few from others as well. I have been collecting since 1970. I'm shocked at the prices people are asking. Not as much fun as it used to be when you stumble on something at a flea market or tradeshow.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello I have been involved with switchblades for 65 years I am always looking for unusual pieces which I may not have. There are not many . I wrote the book The collectors guide to switchblade knives. That was around 2000 I own everything in the book. There is a lot more now. Please keep me in mind should you consider selling. I do not lust for these as I used to now it is more just filling in spots in my collection like a puzzel. At this stage i have no idea what will become of my collection so I understand the situation of valuation. and disposition of these iconic bits of history. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me. Highest regards LT
Attachments
big book1.JPG
big book 2.JPG
Card Redone 2.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

lt632ret wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:13 pm Hello I have been involved with switchblades for 65 years I am always looking for unusual pieces which I may not have. There are not many . I wrote the book The collectors guide to switchblade knives. That was around 2000 I own everything in the book. There is a lot more now. Please keep me in mind should you consider selling. I do not lust for these as I used to now it is more just filling in spots in my collection like a puzzel. At this stage i have no idea what will become of my collection so I understand the situation of valuation. and disposition of these iconic bits of history. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me. Highest regards LT
Hey LT! Would you kindly tell me where I can acquire a copy of your book? Thanks! Mark! 8)
8)
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou for your interest.They do come up on ebay every so often. However i do have a few copies left . I had them on my store LT LTD cutlery collectibles ( right here on AAPK ) However the ad is from 2016 so I just renewed it and activated it for one copy. I only have a handful left from the second or third printing. My publisher Paladin Press is no longer around. Thanks again and please let me know if you would like it personalized ( signed). Regards LT
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

lt632ret wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm Thankyou for your interest.They do come up on ebay every so often. However i do have a few copies left . I had them on my store LT LTD cutlery collectibles ( right here on AAPK ) However the ad is from 2016 so I just renewed it and activated it for one copy. I only have a handful left from the second or third printing. My publisher Paladin Press is no longer around. Thanks again and please let me know if you would like it personalized ( signed). Regards LT
TYVM for the info and link LT! I'll need to put some funds together, and when I do I'll likely buy a copy. Thanks again! Mark! 8)
8)
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I understand thankyou again for your interest. LT

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”