Vintage stiletto, keep closed or open ?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Vintage stiletto, keep closed or open ?

Post by zed6309 »

Hi guys as some know i got a old Italian stiletto switchblade recently and i restored it and put stag covers on it, i did a lot of work as it had blade peak and would not stay in , its now spot on and locks in perfectly, i keep it in a roll with my other pocket knives, but is it ok to keep it fully closed , im just worried about wear and tear, thanks for any advice ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage stiletto, keep closed or open ?

Post by edge213 »

zed6309 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:32 pm Hi guys as some know i got a old Italian stiletto switchblade recently and i restored it and put stag covers on it, i did a lot of work as it had blade peak and would not stay in , its now spot on and locks in perfectly, i keep it in a roll with my other pocket knives, but is it ok to keep it fully closed , im just worried about wear and tear, thanks for any advice ::tu::
If you can find the threads this has been discussed on AAPK in the past.
I leave my autos in the closed position. No problems so far.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Samb

Post by Samb »

The experts say it really doesn't matter so whatever floats your boat.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks guys ::tu:: ill leave it closed ::tu::
Paul,

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I usually keep mine closed as I don't really have the room in the drawer to store them in the open position. That being said about once a year I remove all the non automatic stilettos to another storage area and open up the spring operated ones. Some of them I have had for over 50 years and they show no evidence of any problems. Just gives me time to play with them for awhile! :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I would suggest keeping all automatics stored in the open position. The exception to the rule being the OFT knives which function to open and then with draw the blade into the closed position with the same button. The reason for this is to take the pressure off the spring . This is especially true for the older autos. The OTF knives I mentioned have pressure on the spring in either position. Should you ever have a knife which does break a spring and you happen to have it nearby or in your hand when it goes, You will never forget the destinctive TINK sound it makes. If it happens to be a 1800s Wolstenholm or Lingard Peacroft that sound makes me physically sick to my stomach. Newer knives have much less risk of this do to the newer metals they are made of. With newer knives ( less than 50 years old ) it is your call but why risk the TINK. LT
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

lt632ret wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:34 pm I would suggest keeping all automatics stored in the open position. The exception to the rule being the OFT knives which function to open and then with draw the blade into the closed position with the same button. The reason for this is to take the pressure off the spring . This is especially true for the older autos. The OTF knives I mentioned have pressure on the spring in either position.
You can relieve the pressure on the spring in an out-the-front knife by holding the blade while in the open position and pulling the button towards the close position.This will effectively disconnect the spring tension and the blade will float back and forth. To re-engage,simply pull the blade to the full open position and it will function normally. As far as I can tell it does not hurt the mechanism to do this.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Of course, you can eliminate spring breakage entirely, 100%.
Just never close your knives. They can't possibly break if you never close them!

Springs are not alive, and they don't need to rest. They don't care if they are open or closed.

It doesn't matter at all whether they are stored open or closed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

i never realized that steel 150 years old was just as strong under continuous pressure as when relaxed. Also that continuous pressure over many years has no effect upon . its strength. I suppose it is a matter of opinion. I respect everyones thoughts and realize that it is a personal choice. Whatever you preference best of luck. I do know that over 60 years I have seen a lot of broken springs I never saw one break in the open position. LT
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I agree, I never keep my old auto's closed.
AAPK Janitor
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

So that’s a good question, for me on knives that I can easily put a spring in I keep them both ways, some I like to fire from time to time so I don’t fret…. But the rare and not easily fixed knives like Mr. Langston mentioned I leave open ,,, I know very well that gut punch feeling hearing that “ tink “ of a broken spring …. plus, repairing such an old or rare knife requires a custom made spring that could affect its collective value.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks everyone, ive decided to leave it open , my main concern was this old stiletto switchblade had bad blade peak so going on advice i re worked the hole in the liner, its peak that i worry ::hmm:: sadly switchblades have been illegal since 1959 in the uk so it want come out often over than to flick :D
Paul,

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Of course, to each his own, BUT, we must also consider the constant tension on the sear-pin from holding the blade in under pressure from the spring. Personally, I have the room to store my knives open, and, I ALWAYS depress the button while I am folding the blade closed so as to not put any extra wear on the pin. The builders who "ramp" their sear holes definitely have the right idea.! Just my 2 cents! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I store all of my old autos open, new or OTF I don't. Nor do I relieve the springs on OTF knives, but it is easily done. The closed Presto had a broken spring and I "fixed" it by jamming a specifically sized piece of spring steel under what was left of the broken piece, so I'm not worried about it.

Just my 2¢. ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_20210826_193534710.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Same debate I see over and over with spring steel, be it pocket knives stored partially open on old display boards, pistol magazines, or automatic knives. Even trailers with leaf springs. Some think leaving tension on the spring is a horrible idea. Others say the springs are made for that so metal fatigue is no problem.

I suppose if a spring was not properly tempered to begin with, it will fail eventually regardless. Having years of experience (more than I care to admit :lol: ) with all those scenarios I cited, and never having seen a problem, put me in the camp saying it’s not an issue. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm I store all of my old autos open, new or OTF I don't. Nor do I relieve the springs on OTF knives, but it is easily done. The closed Presto had a broken spring and I "fixed" it by jamming a specifically sized piece of spring steel under what was left of the broken piece, so I'm not worried about it.

Very cool little group John! 8)
8)
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

On the new OTFs, i believe the spring(s) are static whether open or closed and are "loaded" as you push the button either way. When the pressure reaches a certain point, the sear releases the blade to open or close. Therefore, it doesn't matter on them because there's no pressure on the spring(s) when open or closed. There is only the slightest pressure, enough to keep springs in place. To take "all" pressure off, fire your blade against something soft, not letting it open all the way. At this point the blade is "floating" in the frame. Slide the blade in, not all the way, and store it that way. To restore function, carefully slide blade open until it clicks in place. It will now work as it should. Basically what "knife7nut" said...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:35 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm I store all of my old autos open, new or OTF I don't. Nor do I relieve the springs on OTF knives, but it is easily done. The closed Presto had a broken spring and I "fixed" it by jamming a specifically sized piece of spring steel under what was left of the broken piece, so I'm not worried about it.

Very cool little group John! 8)

Thanks, Mark. I figure better safe than sorry. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”