Vintage stiletto, keep closed or open ?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage stiletto, keep closed or open ?

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm I store all of my old autos open, new or OTF I don't. Nor do I relieve the springs on OTF knives, but it is easily done. The closed Presto had a broken spring and I "fixed" it by jamming a specifically sized piece of spring steel under what was left of the broken piece, so I'm not worried about it.

Just my 2¢. ::nod::
Very cool little group John! 8)
8)
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

On the new OTFs, i believe the spring(s) are static whether open or closed and are "loaded" as you push the button either way. When the pressure reaches a certain point, the sear releases the blade to open or close. Therefore, it doesn't matter on them because there's no pressure on the spring(s) when open or closed. There is only the slightest pressure, enough to keep springs in place. To take "all" pressure off, fire your blade against something soft, not letting it open all the way. At this point the blade is "floating" in the frame. Slide the blade in, not all the way, and store it that way. To restore function, carefully slide blade open until it clicks in place. It will now work as it should. Basically what "knife7nut" said...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:35 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm I store all of my old autos open, new or OTF I don't. Nor do I relieve the springs on OTF knives, but it is easily done. The closed Presto had a broken spring and I "fixed" it by jamming a specifically sized piece of spring steel under what was left of the broken piece, so I'm not worried about it.

Just my 2¢. ::nod::
Very cool little group John! 8)

Thanks, Mark. I figure better safe than sorry. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”