Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

Post by Captain O »

1. 154 CM and,

2. S30V CM

We all know that the former is a tad more "pedestrian" Than the latter. However, 154 CM may perform nearly as well at a lower cost.

a. Is the lower-cost steel as efficient as the S30V without excessive compromise of corrosion resistance and edge-retention?

b. Is S30VCM steel worth the extra money. When one carries the knife into more severe environments, the knife has been relied upon to carry out its required duties. Is it worth the added cost and more intensive sharpening requirements? :?:

This is a question relative to a "useful" knife rather than a "wall-hanger".
FRJ

Re: Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

Post by FRJ »

If I may ask, how do you sharpen and what are you thinking of when you refer to "intensive sharpening" to
promote the usefulness of a cutting edge?
Joe
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

FRJ wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:50 pm If I may ask, how do you sharpen and what are you thinking of when you refer to "intensive sharpening" to
promote the usefulness of a cutting edge?
I use a Spyderco "Tri-angle Sharpmaker". I should have referred to it as "frequent" resharpening. If the proper heat-treatment of either steel has been achieved, either steel will withstand routine use for reasonable periods between brief sharpening sessions.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I like to freshen mine up before it gets dull. I'm not a grinder man. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:58 pm I like to freshen mine up before it gets dull. I'm not a grinder man. ::nod::
I don't "grind" on mine either. The "Sharpmaker" gets the job done without removing a lot of material. Even 7Cr17Mov takes a quick edge and is useful for cutting fruit and cured meat (Kielbasa, Pepperoni, Salami, Bologna, and Frankfurters).

A Spyderco "Sharpmaker" is less than $80.00 (USD) and can last a lifetime. (Think of it as an inexpensive investment in keeping every knife you have "perpetually prepared".
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Holding a blade at a proper angle has always been a hassle. Been thinking about getting the Sharpmaker.

In my opinion, 154CM, and especially it's powder metallurgy variant, CPM154 are every bit as a good as S30V. Provided, I have just one S30V knife, a Spyderco Para 3(which is a factory second; but with no noticeable issue); and just two CPM-154s (both Bucks), but both perform equally in my use. To me, while I feel that all the charts and tables based on highly controlled lab tests are a good way to figure out how a certain steel theoretically should perform, it has nothing on real-world testing.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:46 am Holding a blade at a proper angle has always been a hassle. Been thinking about getting the Sharpmaker.
You still have to be aware of the angle while using a Sharpmaker, do you not?
Joe
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

FRJ wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 am
cody6268 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:46 am Holding a blade at a proper angle has always been a hassle. Been thinking about getting the Sharpmaker.
You still have to be aware of the angle while using a Sharpmaker, do you not?
You just have to make certain that the edge of your blade is vertical (perpendicular) to the unit's base. This requires a steady hand and a little concentration, nothing more. The 30-degree angles of the aluminum-ceramic triangular rods work just fine. Light pressure and a steady stroke yield the best results.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”