Help me ID this Automatic with a squirrel?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Absinthe

Help me ID this Automatic with a squirrel?

Post by Absinthe »

Okay, I know she's in a really bad way. But most of the parts are there and the mechanism works (or at least it will when I add a stop pin that is missing in the top)
This looks like it was either lost in the mud, or tossed away so as not to be caught with it. Funny, the majority of the knife is made from stainless. Except the screws and pivot are all of something that seems to rust quite well. It is a button release, and has a nice lock mechanism. It appears to use a coil spring. The blade looks like someone tried to chop though a whole bunch of wires with it. The only markings I can find are an animal that looks kind of like a squirrel and the word Stainless in script font. Pictures follow.

Any info or pointers would be welcome. It is 3.25" closed and has a 2" blade.
sb1.jpg
sb2.jpg
sb3.jpg
sb4.jpg
sb5.jpg
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help me ID this Automatic with a squirrel?

Post by Gone2Three »

Absinthe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:45 am Okay, I know she's in a really bad way. But most of the parts are there and the mechanism works (or at least it will when I add a stop pin that is missing in the top)
This looks like it was either lost in the mud, or tossed away so as not to be caught with it. Funny, the majority of the knife is made from stainless. Except the screws and pivot are all of something that seems to rust quite well. It is a button release, and has a nice lock mechanism. It appears to use a coil spring. The blade looks like someone tried to chop though a whole bunch of wires with it. The only markings I can find are an animal that looks kind of like a squirrel and the word Stainless in script font. Pictures follow.

sb1.jpgsb2.jpgsb3.jpgsb4.jpgsb5.jpg
If you do a search for Panther knife you might come across some information, I found one with a similar stamping on the blade, picture below for a Panther Horn Ergonomic II auto
There might be a better match but at least it's a start ::tu::

Randy
Attachments
COLTELLO-A-SCATTO-PANTHER-HORN-ERGONOMIC-II-IN-SIMIL-CORNO-CON-L-extra-big-19272-555.jpeg
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Chinese gas station/flea market knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Gone2Three wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:54 am
Absinthe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:45 am Okay, I know she's in a really bad way. But most of the parts are there and the mechanism works (or at least it will when I add a stop pin that is missing in the top)

sb1.jpgsb2.jpgsb3.jpgsb4.jpgsb5.jpg
If you do a search for Panther knife you might come across some information, I found one with a similar stamping on the blade, picture below for a Panther Horn Ergonomic II auto
There might be a better match but at least it's a start ::tu::

Randy
That certainly matches the crappy plastic jigged scale material, and the mechanism looks to match as well. Thanks!
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:04 am Chinese gas station/flea market knife.
I seem to have found them in "Russia" .ru .ua .kz and some from Alibaba that is a Russian vendor. I am not seeing anything to do with China. The only online store that isn't covered in Cyrillic writing seems to be that MilitaryWorld which seems to be Italian according to their phone number. So I am not really seeing much pointing to China.

Of all the images I have seen online, the scale and bolster Philips screws seem consistent. But almost every one has a different pivot head. Some Philips, some torx, and some hex. However, it seems odd to me why someone would go through the motions of manufacturing a knife from almost all stainless steel, leaving only the screws to something like plain steel that simply rusts like mad.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The only thing stainless in that knife is the blade-and it's a very cheap stainless. The liners and bolsters are plated steel.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Samb

Post by Samb »

Like Bill said, cheap Chinese knife.
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

I have it all apart now. I don't know how to tell stainless from plated steel apparently, but the only thing that took any rust were the screw heads and the pivot. Well, both springs look like they are pretty rusty. So, I will try to locate and find replacement springs. Since I don't have the bolsters off yet, I am not sure I understand the spring cage. It is made of something black and I am not sure if it is glued/staked/or soldered in place, but it might simply be held in place from beneath the bolster. Will find out later when I can get some very calm drilling time in to get those little M2 rusted screws out.

I guess, ultimately, I don't really care about its country of origin other than to know if it is a ripped off design. So that is a red herring and a rabbit hole all at once. I didn't mean to start an argument over its Chinesity, I guess China, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, it's not made in USA, so it is "other". As for any hints or tips as to the internals, or how to buy a spring, that would be great. :) The one in the release button that looks like it came from a ball point pen is dark and flakey, so I would be happy to replace that. The coil that operates the blade still seems to function with plenty of life. But again, I see lots of rust down inside there and would like to replace it. I assume when I get these out, I can measure ID/OD and material thickness, and count the numbers of turns and measure the little legs that catch the blade and anchor to the bolster. I also assume the twist direction is important also. I've never had to buy a spring before, this will be an adventure!

I have no thoughts that this is a jackpot of value. However. it is the first switchblade mechanism that I have come across that is in poor enough condition in a good enough way that I feel I can actually repair it!! And, the pattern itself is kind of cute, in a way that makes me want to make a pattern and try to do it from scratch as well.
sb6.jpg
sb7.jpg
Samb

Post by Samb »

Didn't mean to cut down your knife but it is what it is. You have taken it apart and that's more than a lot of people would try. Good luck!
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Samb wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 pm Didn't mean to cut down your knife but it is what it is. You have taken it apart and that's more than a lot of people would try. Good luck!
Nah! Not your fault, I keep forgetting how to use the internet. :) I neither specified my intentions correctly, nor asked the question in such a way that I would get good answers. It's like making a wish with a Genie. I keep forgetting that.

I figured if it were a brand, or something well known or common, I might be able to find some decent pictures from some angles that might help be figure out what I was seeing. Or if it were a well known mechanism, I might have gotten some advice as to how it worked, what to do to mod it to perhaps goose it up, or perhaps some pitfalls to avoid.

FWIW, I am probably in the wrong sub of this forum as well.

No matter, I will continue and when it is completed, I will post some more pictures. Oh, yeah, and when I get the bolsters off, I will shoot some then too. :)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Sounds good, we like pictures!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Absinthe! First of all, I love your username, I was watching Van Helsing over the weekend and there's a scene where the monster is carrying the Dr. up the stairs of the windmill and there are Absinthe bottles scattered all over the stairs, and every time I see that I want to try the drink! Please don't feel that anyone was criticizing your knife, they are simply trying to give you accurate information, but some are better diplomats than others. Your knife is a very inexpensive auto that truth be told, you'd be better off simply junking it and buying a brand new one from one of the Chinese sites, www.dhgate.com , or, www.aliexpress.com . It might not be the exact same knife, but it'll be very similar and will only cost you under US$25. I have a few of them, and I use em' for "click therapy" so as to save the wear n' tear on the springs of my higher-end models. The knife in the pictures is one such model! If you click-on a picture twice it will expand so you can see better! 8)
WIN_20221024_18_47_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221024_18_48_31_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221024_18_49_53_Pro.jpg
$20./delivered from Etsy.com ! I think the stamp you called a squirrel is actually a cat, but I could be wrong too! I have come to realize that auto knives with that kind of safety positioned where it is, are usually inexpensive knives! 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Don't remember seeing that one but I like it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yep, it's posted in "Some of my autos" Sam, as well as in "Comfort Knives"! Not surprising you overlooked one, I was posting a lot of knives back then! Thx for the compliment! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:57 pm Absinthe! First of all, I love your username, I was watching Van Helsing over the weekend and there's a scene where the monster is carrying the Dr. up the stairs of the windmill and there are Absinthe bottles scattered all over the stairs, and every time I see that I want to try the drink! Please don't feel that anyone was criticizing your knife, they are simply trying to give you accurate information, but some are better diplomats than others. Your knife is a very inexpensive auto that truth be told, you'd be better off simply junking it and buying a brand new one from one of the Chinese sites, www.dhgate.com , or, www.aliexpress.com . It might not be the exact same knife, but it'll be very similar and will only cost you under US$25. I have a few of them, and I use em' for "click therapy" so as to save the wear n' tear on the springs of my higher-end models. The knife in the pictures is one such model! If you click-on a picture twice it will expand so you can see better! 8) WIN_20221024_18_47_58_Pro.jpgWIN_20221024_18_48_31_Pro.jpgWIN_20221024_18_49_53_Pro.jpg$20./delivered from Etsy.com ! I think the stamp you called a squirrel is actually a cat, but I could be wrong too! I have come to realize that auto knives with that kind of safety positioned where it is, are usually inexpensive knives! 8)
I have knives that I bought for fun. $12 and $18 in these pictures
ct1.jpg
ct2.jpg
ct3.jpg
ct4.jpg
ct5.jpg
That wasn't the point. I am trying to learn knife making. So "repair" is also part of the game. Most of the slipjoints that I find to repair, are a whole lot of work, for very little payoff. Broken blades, or blades sharpened into literal toothpicks, broken back springs, blades ripped out by the roots. This little find, however, was cute and delicious. It was mostly working, and seriously was just missing the stop pin and maybe 1 or 2 screws. I could have oiled it up, replaced or rigged up the stop pin and put an edge on the blade and had a fun knife. Instead, I am going to replace all the rusted parts with something that won't rust, and give it new springs, and add a stop pin. However, once it is all completely apart, I will make a nice pattern of it, and perhaps even make one of my very own from the ground up. It feels like a nice pattern. And, Chinese or not it has a nice feel to it.

I build some musical instruments. And I spent good money on a nice 6 string Eastman guitar. But you know what I play most? This guy right here [youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/j2WecJ1OxNA?feature=share[/youtube] and this one too [youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/B6RKM0jYsjY?feature=share[/youtube]

Anyway, when it is complete, I will have something that is truly mine, and if I make a copy I will have something that was made completely from the ground up. It will be a long time before I can say anything like that about the little $12 OTF or the $18 Stilletto. At some point, I will make something similar to both of them. But, neither if them are quite within my comfort zone. This little squirrel thingie, well I feel comfortable that I can do that. So it's not about the cost, I love my Stiletto, it's no F. Beltrame, but it is also unlikely I will ever own a F. Beltrame... And, I don't even know who makes a good OTF. The mechanism is cool, but they don't really do it for me. What I'd love is an old Imperial push button, or the new Buck auto. But, it is unlikely I will pay for the Buck, or find a working Imperial.

The squirrel is cute, and she will do for now. She is a fun little knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

To each his own, I always say! 8)
8)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:57 pm Absinthe! First of all, I love your username, I was watching Van Helsing over the weekend and there's a scene where the monster is carrying the Dr. up the stairs of the windmill and there are Absinthe bottles scattered all over the stairs, and every time I see that I want to try the drink! Please don't feel that anyone was criticizing your knife, they are simply trying to give you accurate information, but some are better diplomats than others. Your knife is a very inexpensive auto that truth be told, you'd be better off simply junking it and buying a brand new one from one of the Chinese sites, www.dhgate.com , or, www.aliexpress.com . It might not be the exact same knife, but it'll be very similar and will only cost you under US$25. I have a few of them, and I use em' for "click therapy" so as to save the wear n' tear on the springs of my higher-end models. The knife in the pictures is one such model! If you click-on a picture twice it will expand so you can see better! 8) WIN_20221024_18_47_58_Pro.jpgWIN_20221024_18_48_31_Pro.jpgWIN_20221024_18_49_53_Pro.jpg$20./delivered from Etsy.com ! I think the stamp you called a squirrel is actually a cat, but I could be wrong too! I have come to realize that auto knives with that kind of safety positioned where it is, are usually inexpensive knives! 8)
BEGIN OFF TOPIC RESPONSE
Thanks! I have been using it on the internet since before the WWW. Like 1989 :) Anyway, the real kick to Absinthe is that is is made to be 140 proof. The concern that the wormwood (thujone) content was going to make one hallucinate is very likely unfounded. It exists in many things such as sage (perhaps the real popularity behind pumpkin spice) but also Vermouth which is based on a German name for wormwood. However, none of these other things where actually threatening the French Wine industry ... so it got banned as a dangerous substance. It has since reemerged, since it was determined that the test for thujone content was so weak, that probably even pre-ban versions would actually pass it. I am personally a fan of Single Malt scotches and American Rye whiskey. But I do enjoy some Absinthe from time to time. I am a particular fan of the drink called Sazerac. Here is a little recipe https://www.liquor.com/recipes/sazerac/ be sure that if you order one they don't use simple syrup or it will be way too sweet. You only rinse the glass with Absinthe when making it, then pour it out. (Kind of the way one might make a very dry martini with the vermouth) But one of my favored restaurants uses a little pump spray bottle like the ones that eye glass cleaner comes in. This way they spray the glass and that is quite enough. If you drink it straight or in other heavy cocktails you will find a strong flavor of liccorice. When trying to purchase it from the store, read the label, and look for one without artificial colors.
END OFF TOPIC RESPONSE

Thanks for the advice, I will check out some of these places for cheap stuff. But for now, I have some good bones, and I will see what I can make of it.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

🤔 Dimitri posted one of these too, recently.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the detailed explanation of Absinthe, Absinthe! LOL! I was going to buy a bottle and just pour an ounce to shoot back, but that sounds like the wrong way to drink the stuff, considering they suggest only rinsing your glass with it. I really enjoyed the link too! 8)
8)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:44 pm Thanks for the detailed explanation of Absinthe, Absinthe! LOL! I was going to buy a bottle and just pour an ounce to shoot back, but that sounds like the wrong way to drink the stuff, considering they suggest only rinsing your glass with it. I really enjoyed the link too! 8)
It's in the neighborhood of 140 proof. Just shooting it is not always a fun experience. The reason that it is 140 proof is to keep the "oils" of the hyssop, wormwood, angelica and others in clear suspension. When you add water, (like the ritual of pouring it over a cube of sugar) it reduces the proof and causes the oils to fall out of suspension and "louche" which gives it the opalescent milky color. If you have added some sugar, and cut it down with some nice cold water it will have a strong black licorice taste. It is refreshing in that way. I am too old to shoot 140 proof liquor. But some day ask me about my friends in TX and the Everclear story. :)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You sure do seem to know your alcohol Ab! Are you a friend of Bill Wilson? Your recipe sounds delicious, I'll have to try it, and I LOVE black licorice. I also am waaay too old to be shooting back shots anymore but mixed the way you suggested sounds really good. Oh, and I am completely seasoned on the nightmare effects of the devil's elixir, Everclear! LOL! 8)
8)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:00 am You sure do seem to know your alcohol Ab! Are you a friend of Bill Wilson? Your recipe sounds delicious, I'll have to try it, and I LOVE black licorice. I also am waaay too old to be shooting back shots anymore but mixed the way you suggested sounds really good. Oh, and I am completely seasoned on the nightmare effects of the devil's elixir, Everclear! LOL! 8)
Well, there are plenty of black licorice flavored liquors. I grew up with anisette in coffee, along with my stepmom's anisette cookies :) But between anise, and fennel, there are plenty of ways to achieve that flavor, so there are plenty of liquors in that flavor category. Anyway, this is so far off topic now, I have probably screwed my own post. I assume there is an off topic area we can continue in if you like, or perhaps there is a different way.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I also apologize for hijacking this thread, again! ::facepalm:: I don't drink much anymore, so drink recipes aren't of a whole lot of interest to me anymore, but thanks for the offer. If you want to post off topic, there's the "First Cup Diner" thread in the "General Off Topic" section, or you can always send a PM (Private Message) from the link beside your AAPK information. I use to love Anisette when I was drinking, I loved the taste! 8)
8)
Absinthe

Post by Absinthe »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:40 pm I also apologize for hijacking this thread, again! ::facepalm:: I don't drink much anymore, so drink recipes aren't of a whole lot of interest to me anymore, but thanks for the offer. If you want to post off topic, there's the "First Cup Diner" thread in the "General Off Topic" section, or you can always send a PM (Private Message) from the link beside your AAPK information. I use to love Anisette when I was drinking, I loved the taste! 8)
Thanks!

Now back on topic. I got it all apart. Funny thing is that the activation spring sits in what appears to essentially be a phenolic flange bushing. I assume I could use a bronze one. However, the bothersome part is that the spring itself is:

ID : 6.75 mm OD: 8.5 mm Height: 3.6 mm Material Thickness ~1 mm Leg Angle: 270° # of Coils: 4

Most of the springs I see from the knife supply are smallest 0.3750" (9.525 mm) And if I go to normal outlets for springs, I can find similar but at something crazy like $8+ with either a huge minimum or an exorbitant shipping charge. And that still leaves me to modify the legs myself. The existing spring will probably suffice, but I have to believe this beast exists somewhere as a stock item. 8.5 mm is (0.3350) or in the range of 5/16"-11/32" I'd like to replace it, but don't have to. I may have to modify the pattern if I want to reproduce it, to use a more commonly available size. Open to ideas or sources if anyone knows of any.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whew! Ya lost me brother with all the fractions, but I sure wish they made sense to me cuz it would help a whole lot when I'm looking for pins, or screws, etc. 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”