Case swithcblade

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
bigelow942

Case swithcblade

Post by bigelow942 »

Got this out of an old collection. Wondering what time period, I think pre 1920. and a ballpark value. Shows normal wear and works as it should. I'm sure it could use some lube and cleaning.
Attachments
DSCF1709.JPG
DSCF1710.JPG
DSCF1711.JPG
DSCF1712.JPG
DSCF1713.JPG
DSCF1714.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case swithcblade

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Now that's what you call a grand first post! Welcome to AAPK.

Your knife is quite a find, a rare Case Coke Bottle Zipper switchblade. 1915-1919. It's a nice knife but far from mint condition. Being such a rare pattern it's difficult to find comparable sales from which to approximate a value, but if mint (which it's not) it would likely bring several thousand dollars at auction. JMO. But the number of buyers with that kind of money to buy it is somewhat limited. Value in its current condition would depend on how many interested buyers were bidding.

Here's a link to an older post about its sister, the 72 pattern Clasp Zipper.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=71377

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
millern

Post by millern »

What a knife! Used, but it was cared for very well, it seems! Thanks for showing it.
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

that's one on my want list Nice to see it!
Samb

Post by Samb »

Nice find! Never knew case made a switchblade and it could be worth some good money. My guess some very good money. It you want to sell it I would suggest Sharperdeal auction site.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

It looks like stag to me??

Harold
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very sweet rare pattern. 😎👍👍

Thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

stockman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:05 pm It looks like stag to me??

Harold
Yes stag with a 6 handle code?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I noticed that. Just was trying to figure out why. Everything looks great, sweet old knife. Harold
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looking at the handles it is unusual to see the material on a knife of this age to be so white in color at the head end mark side bolster. I know this pattern was made in bone but not sure if ever made in stag stag. Working properly a rare piece at any rate.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

stockman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:06 pm I noticed that. Just was trying to figure out why. Everything looks great, sweet old knife. Harold
I think the knife has been re-handled for the following reasons. As far as I know, the C61050L Zipper was made only in jigged bone. The shield / blade release should not be sunken into the handle. The other parts look ok to me.
bigelow942

Post by bigelow942 »

How do I go about selling this knife????
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

List it on ebay as an auction with a low starting bid, the auction bidders will determine what it is worth. Or list it as a “Buy it now” listing if you have a selling price in mind. Be sure you have clear, in focus pictures of it. Both sides with blade open and closed, include in-focus close up of the stamps. And an honest description including that the knife has probably been re-handled replacing the original jigged bone with stag. And whether the knife’s mechanism works properly or not.

You could also try selling it here but you need to purchase a premium subscription to do so (find details on how to do so by clicking on Support AAPK on the upper right of this page). If you chose to do so, you’ll,need to decide a selling price and then list it in the Knife Commerce subforum here. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... m.php?f=49

Good luck.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

bigelow942 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:52 pm How do I go about selling this knife????
Ken's (Mumbleypeg) advice is spot on.

I don't know if you are an experienced eBay seller or not, but another method I've seen a lot of experienced knife sellers using on eBay is to list it for the book price for a mint example--regardless of how ridiculously high it may be (which, of course, it will be for your knife in used condition)--and ALSO enable the "MAKE OFFER" option. First, you might be surprised when a collector with deep pockets just flat out buys it for the book value because it's so rare and they want it badly enough to pay the high price. Second, even if no one pays the high book value, you will undoubtedly get a flood of offers that you can then choose either to accept or negotiate / barter for a higher price until you find the amount each potential buyer is willing to pay.

My recommendation is to buy a premium AAPK membership and try selling it here first (use the link Ken provided) using the same process, i.e., high asking price but open to reasonable offers. The knife experts and collectors here will treat you fairly and you won't have to pay such a big chunk of the final selling price to eBay or worry abut the "income" from the sale affecting your taxes (unless, of course you choose to claim it when you file your taxes--but at least it will be your choice).

There are many options, but just remember this: you have an extremely desirable and rare knife and you should get a fair & reasonable price for it; it is worth A LOT of money and a lot of people will be interested but the majority of those interested parties will be trying to get it for less than it should fetch. The key is to make sure it is seen by the right demographic, i.e., collectors, not flippers who just want to re-sell it and get the "real value" for themselves.
~Q~
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:24 pm
bigelow942 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:52 pm How do I go about selling this knife????
Ken's (Mumbleypeg) advice is spot on.

I don't know if you are an experienced eBay seller or not, but another method I've seen a lot of experienced knife sellers using on eBay is to list it for the book price for a mint example--regardless of how ridiculously high it may be (which, of course, it will be for your knife in used condition)--and ALSO enable the "MAKE OFFER" option. First, you might be surprised when a collector with deep pockets just flat out buys it for the book value because it's so rare and they want it badly enough to pay the high price. Second, even if no one pays the high book value, you will undoubtedly get a flood of offers that you can then choose either to accept or negotiate / barter for a higher price until you find the amount each potential buyer is willing to pay.

My recommendation is to buy a premium AAPK membership and try selling it here first (use the link Ken provided) using the same process, i.e., high asking price but open to reasonable offers. The knife experts and collectors here will treat you fairly and you won't have to pay such a big chunk of the final selling price to eBay or worry abut the "income" from the sale affecting your taxes (unless, of course you choose to claim it when you file your taxes--but at least it will be your choice).

There are many options, but just remember this: you have an extremely desirable and rare knife and you should get a fair & reasonable price for it; it is worth A LOT of money and a lot of people will be interested but the majority of those interested parties will be trying to get it for less than it should fetch. The key is to make sure it is seen by the right demographic, i.e., collectors, not flippers who just want to re-sell it and get the "real value" for themselves.
Very well put👍
I’d be interested to know how much has been offered by board members to date. No names, just the range, low to high.
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

I thought EBAY didn`t like sellers listing automatic knives !
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Technically, you are correct: eBay does not allow the selling of automatic knives, much the same as they don't allow the selling of Elephant Ivory...and yet, you can find plenty of examples of each for sale on eBay on any given day. It's really just a matter of how the listing is worded if you are intent on getting around the rules.

That said, I do not advocate breaking any rules, which is why I feel the best option would be to try selling on AAPK first.
~Q~

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”