Colonial knife company?

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Colonial knife company?

Post by TripleF »

Colonial Camper's Combination Hobo Knife....just came in today!
Attachments
Colonial Hobo Camper's Combination #2644 Knife (1).JPG
Colonial Hobo Camper's Combination #2644 Knife (2).JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Well, I told myself "NO MORE BLISTER PACKS" over a year ago after posting "the accumulation"
near the beginning of this thread.

So here's the latest...
A $9.99 special and only $3 shipping - stumbled upon it with 20 minutes left in a 7 day auction and NO bids!
An Anvil Brand 310 stockman with the wrong stamp.
It is stamped SHARPTM USA 380.

I asked Robert Paolantonio about it and he said the SHARP USA stamp belonged to Colonial
and was a "secondary stamp." He also gave an approximate date of "late 70's to early 80's."

Man, I hope this blister pack thing dosn't start over again ::facepalm:: ... as I type this - awaiting another
Imperial pack to arrive....

.... Joe
Attachments
Anvil 310 blis pak - ''SHARP USA 380'' stamp (front).JPG
Anvil 310 blis pak - ''SHARP USA 380'' stamp (back).JPG
''HONED EDGE'' etch.JPG
Anvil 310 blis pak - ''SHARP USA 380'' stamp 004.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great find Joe! Very cool packaging as well. I don't know how you resist the temptation of ripping all those blister packs open, man I'd wanna get at that sucker!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

::rotflol:: dang near impossible, Mike... I buy one "out of the pack" to help with the temptation!
You don't need to keep these out of reach of children. It's the adults ya gotta worry about. ::nod::

....... Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

And to think Joe, there's no medication for the sickness you have. (or should I say, WE ALL HAVE). ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
SCOTT

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's a tiny little Colonial I recently received...anyone have any idea what years Colonial made these..? I've seen a few similar ones with the Hammer stamp as well.
Keychain knives 001.jpg
Mike

shugy

Post by shugy »

This is the only colonial I have, it 's stamped colonial Prov usa. no idea what year? ::shrug::
Attachments
colonial 001.JPG
Why am I in this handbasket and where are we goin?
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Unfortuntely for us, Colonial didn't do much as far as differentiating with tang stamps.

Could been several million pieces made over a stretch of 30 or 40 years.......
SCOTT

268bull

Post by 268bull »

Picked up a Colonial Fish - Knife yesterday at an estate sale. Unfortunately, there's a hitch in the get along with my down loading pics, so I can't show it. I believe the knife is dated to the mid - 50's. I'm saying that only because of the phone # and how it's presented ( just 4 digits ). The rest of the ad on the handle says; Stanley Garage Door Co., Seattle Wash. Considering the good condition it's in, I just don't believe it ever met the belly of a steelhead or trout. It has the appearance of having been tucked away in the previous owner's dresser drawer. ::tu:: Bull
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TripleF wrote:Colonial Camper's Combination Hobo Knife....just came in today!
I have one of those Scott. The condition is not as good as yours. There was buyers remorse when I received it in the mail (poor pictures in the listing) but I'm used to it now.
Attachments
Colonial USA.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

This Colonial Ranger Stockman arrived earlier this week. She was kinda mucked up. I oiled and cleaned her, and put a new edge on each blade. This so reminds me of a Schrade Old Timer because of the delrin handles.
Attachments
lot7.27.12 030.JPG
SCOTT

edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Great knives fellas, keep em coming.
Found this one Saturday. Four inch stockman wih square bolsters. Tang stamp worn off, good snap, well built economy knife.
Please correct me if I am wrong on it being a Colonial.
Attachments
colonial stockman 002.jpg
colonial stockman 005.jpg
colonial stockman 001.jpg
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Nice knives everybody! Cutty I'm not sure if that one is a Colonial or not, they made such a wide variety over the years I'm constantly finding ones I haven't seen before, cool knife either way.
Check out this little 2 3/4 " yellow Colonial...I was surprised when I first handled it and found it to be a chuncky little sucker due to the fact that it has three backsprings! ...Something about the steel on this one though, I can't seem to put an edge on it for the life of me. Rarely have that problem with a Colonial
Mike
Colonial small yellow stockman 005.jpg
Colonial small yellow stockman 001.jpg
Colonial small yellow stockman 004.jpg
Colonial small yellow stockman 002.jpg
Mike

bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

here is a little colonial i picked up a few days ago for two dollars
Attachments
dads pictures 001.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Cool, I've got that same one but with no shield! I was amazed by it's tiny-ness...
tiny Colonial 001.jpg
Mike

bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

thats cool yours has no shield and different end bolsters and at 2 7/8 inches they are pritty small
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Just got this in the mail the other day bought in a lot off Ebay--Pic's were bad but figured I'd chance it and glad I did--had lots of rust spec's on all three blades but cleaned up real nice. Brass bolsters & white smooth bone.
Attachments
012.JPG
025.JPG
023.JPG
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Well folks, it looks like AAPK needs a Colonial Knife Company expert. Here I am!!
My name is Robert A Paolantonio. I am the only second or third generation cutler for that matter. I currently have a book for sale named "My Family Business", and my blog is
myfamilybusinessbook.com. I am also known by my personal custom line R.A.P. Cutler, that I established many years before Colonial went out of business after the year 2000. I spent over 40 years in the old factory of Colonial, and working in every department over the years was an incredible experience. It also makes me the most informative, experienced Colonial family owner alive.
This three blade stockman was one of my personal knives that I made at Colonial over 25 years ago. I used my companys parts but developed my own tang stamp years ago!!
The knife is actually a #530 Old Cutler customized by me. I made many of these knifes in multiple colored bone, stag, wood, Mother Of Pearl, and even scrimshawed Mammoth Ivory.
My book is an incredible story begining with my grandfather Frederick arriving in this country in 1903 and working very hard untill he incorporated Colonial with his brothers in 1926.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

This is our old "Slim Jim", two blade little cutie!! Sold tons of them from early 70's to mid 80's!!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Image Robert
AAPK Janitor
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Bonfire bob wrote:Well folks, it looks like AAPK needs a Colonial Knife Company expert. Here I am!!
My name is Robert A Paolantonio. I am the only second or third generation cutler for that matter. I currently have a book for sale named "My Family Business", and my blog is
myfamilybusinessbook.com. I am also known by my personal custom line R.A.P. Cutler, that I established many years before Colonial went out of business after the year 2000. I spent over 40 years in the old factory of Colonial, and working in every department over the years was an incredible experience. It also makes me the most informative, experienced Colonial family owner alive.
This three blade stockman was one of my personal knives that I made at Colonial over 25 years ago. I used my companys parts but developed my own tang stamp years ago!!
The knife is actually a #530 Old Cutler customized by me. I made many of these knifes in multiple colored bone, stag, wood, Mother Of Pearl, and even scrimshawed Mammoth Ivory.
My book is an incredible story begining with my grandfather Frederick arriving in this country in 1903 and working very hard untill he incorporated Colonial with his brothers in 1926.
Hello and welcom.I have read your blog often and would love to find a place to buy your book.Can that be done on your blog to.If so I could not find the info.If you could post the info on this forum I would appreciate it a lot.Glad to have you aboard.I have bin a big fan of your knives since I was a kid.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Hey how you doin Bobby?--Recieved my copy of your book yesterday I'm taking it with me this morning on a trip to Missouri and plan on checkin it out while hangin out out the motel. Welcome to AAPK!!
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::

We're glad to have you join us.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Bonfire bob wrote:Well folks, it looks like AAPK needs a Colonial Knife Company expert. Here I am!!

Hey Bobby! It's Scott from pocketknivesblog.com
Glad to see you finally joined us here!
SCOTT

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Heres a Colonial I picked up at a yard sale.Nice solid knife ::nod::
Attachments
IMAG0006.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”