Does Colonial still mfg traditional shell pocketknives?

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Old Hunter

Does Colonial still mfg traditional shell pocketknives?

Post by Old Hunter »

I bought this knife today at a pawn and gunshop. The owner bought this knife in a collection of guns and knives he recently acquired, it had no box or package with it, but is absolutely mint and looks to be of recent manufacture. It is a 3" jack-knife with both blades marked:
STAINLESS
COLONIAL
PROV. USA
The bow-tie shield is marked "STAINLESS"; the blades, bolsters, and shield are highly polished, fit is excellent and snap is perfect. I am amazed at the quality of this relatively inexpensive knife - I was obviously smitten by the knife and bought it on the spot. I wouldn't mind having more of them, checked out the Colonial website and can find no mention of this type of knife, pity if they are discontinued.
Attachments
DSC03339opt.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Elvis

Re: Does Colonial still mfg traditional shell pocketknives?

Post by Elvis »

If memory serves, Colonial is one of the names that Jim Frost now owns the rights to. Long story short....He has ALL of his knives made in China (or maybe Pakistan too) now and none of those old models are being produced any longer. Same goes for Schrade, Imperial, and a host of formerly good old USA made brand names.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:If memory serves, Colonial is one of the names that Jim Frost now owns the rights to. Long story short....He has ALL of his knives made in China (or maybe Pakistan too) now and none of those old models are being produced any longer. Same goes for Schrade, Imperial, and a host of formerly good old USA made brand names.
No; Colonial is still very much an independent business in Rhode Island. In fact I drive by their facility on the way to a vendor that I do business with.

As far as what they actually make these days, they do have a website that shows their products. Or at least they did. There was an article about Colonial in BLADE a year or two ago, IIRC the article stated that Colonial only has four employees....so they can't be manufacturing much.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

knifeaholic wrote:
Elvis wrote:If memory serves, Colonial is one of the names that Jim Frost now owns the rights to. Long story short....He has ALL of his knives made in China (or maybe Pakistan too) now and none of those old models are being produced any longer. Same goes for Schrade, Imperial, and a host of formerly good old USA made brand names.
No; Colonial is still very much an independent business in Rhode Island. In fact I drive by their facility on the way to a vendor that I do business with.

As far as what they actually make these days, they do have a website that shows their products. Or at least they did. There was an article about Colonial in BLADE a year or two ago, IIRC the article stated that Colonial only has four employees....so they can't be manufacturing much.

Maybe you should stop by sometime and knock on the door to see what they are still making and find out if they have any old stuff laying around they don't mind parting with.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
trail

Post by trail »

My understanding is that they are still making a couple of "tactical" style auto-openers for EMT and police in the U.S. and that they have a rigger and maybe a couple other "traditional" ones made in Asia

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... datarq=130
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

knifeaholic wrote:No; Colonial is still very much an independent business in Rhode Island. In fact I drive by their facility on the way to a vendor that I do business with.
You have no idea how glad I am to be wrong about this one. A US knife company that Jim Frost HASN'T bought the rights to and taken off-shore. These days, it's easier to count the ones he hasn't done that to. I'm not real sure just what they can do with only 4 employees, but one can only hope they found a way to keep production in the USA.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Iron Hoarder wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:
Maybe you should stop by sometime and knock on the door to see what they are still making and find out if they have any old stuff laying around they don't mind parting with.
No harm in asking, right? ::uc::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:No; Colonial is still very much an independent business in Rhode Island. In fact I drive by their facility on the way to a vendor that I do business with.
You have no idea how glad I am to be wrong about this one. A US knife company that Jim Frost HASN'T bought the rights to and taken off-shore. These days, it's easier to count the ones he hasn't done that to. I'm not real sure just what they can do with only 4 employees, but one can only hope they found a way to keep production in the USA.

Which US knife companies has Jim Frost bought the rights to and taken off shore? I cannot think of any (and I am being serious).
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey folks! I see this is an old thread with old questions about Colonial Knife Company.
For the folks who don't know by now, my name is Robert A. Paolantonio, third generation owner, and cutler. There are several questions here and if any of you still need answers, please mail me at : bonfirebob11@cox.net or just go to our current forums like Colonial Knife Company Collectors or the show-em thread. I will be personally happy to answer any questions you may have...
Bobby P., CKCo....
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Gentlemen, I see these questions were asked recently and much longer back.
For the record Old Hunter, this old shell knife is a # DC-610 jack knife. We made this model and many others like it from the 60's to the early 90's! The old Colonial Knife is officially "OUT OF BUSINESS" ! There are a couple previous family members that have started Colonial Knife Corporation. As far as I know they deal primarily with a nice line of imported tactical knives and tools.
If you ever need any informatio about the old business you can contact myself, Robert Paolantonio, past owner and cutler of the original family business. I have also recently writtten a book called "My family business", Colonial Knife Company, and you can find more info about the book on one of the several Colonial threads here at AAPK. :lol:
You can also get plenty of information on my blog : myfamilybusinessbook.wordpress.com
Thanks Bobby Paolantonio, CKCo.... ::handshake::

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”