Colonial Dating Info

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Colonial Dating Info

Post by Paladin »

Does anyone have dating info on Colonial knives? I checked the usual scources without turning up much. I know they started up in 1926 and continue today.
I picked up a knife/axe combo recently and can't help but wonder about the age of it.
The stamp is COLONIAL (over) PROVIDENCE USA.
Photo is attached.

Thanks,
Ray
Attachments
IMG_7476-001.JPG
IMG_7479-001.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Bonfire bob

Re: Colonial Dating Info

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Ray, nice combo. This is our old camp combo, consisting of a fixed blade and with a slid of a lever at the handle but, to remove the blade and attach the hatchet located in the rear of the sheath. These were made in the mid to late 60's. I still have a few myself.
Bobby Paolantonio CKCo....
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Hey Bobby.....he's asking if there is any dating info like the Imperial tang stamps that indicate the time frame the knives were made.

Did Colonial do anything like that? I know they have a curved stamp but that's all I know, and don't even know when it was used....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Scott, I completely understand the question but for some reason, Colonial never kept an accurate log of what was made, when it was made, and no dates were kept of tang stamp dates. I wish there was something official to go by but all I can give is a close assumption of these questions. I have heard many collectors try to find such information, but it doesn't exist! I just think back then, they made so many models, for so many years and I don't think anyone ever kept track of them. My info comes from experiences with other collectors, family members, and even information I collected from employee's; mostly the old timers that I was known for picking their brains for these kind of questions ::shrug:: I learned through the years from the old timers at the factory and kept my own personal log for many years. This is where my Colonial knife history comes from! Some foreman, I had to have an inturpitor to translate my questions for facts about the past. Anyone that know's more than I do about knives, dates, and tech questions like these, are long since gone; dead is really what I mean...
It's the best I can offer Scott, and I hope all my knife freinds understand....
I would give my left arm to sit with my grandpa for two hours of history talk!! ::woot::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Thanks, Bobby. That is close enuf for me and I appreciate it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thanks for understanding Ray...Please understand and I'm sure you do that with a manufacturing corporation making knives for almost 100 years and so many different knives, years, models, it's almost impossible to be absolute about details like this..
I spent years picking the brains of old timers that my grandfather personally hired....
Ray, if your really interested in Colonial and it's history, my book is the most incredible and most accurate history of Colonial and it's 100 years of knife production..
If you can spare $ 25.00, I'll send you my book and lots of questions you may ask are answered in my book!
Other than that my freind, I will continue to answer any and all questions about Colonial to the best of my ability's; that's a promise!
Bobby P. CKCo...
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

They did a lot of ad and award knives
Attachments
COLONIAL PROV. R.I. USA FRONT.JPG
COLONIAL PROV. R.I. USA BACK.JPG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Greetings Dr_Magoo...
This was one of my fathers brainstorms!! This one and the baseball and bat were big hits!
Colonial started making these in the early 60's, and we sold THOUSANDS of them!!
The ad specialty end of Colonial named Embassador or Embassy Manufacturing was a huge money maker as you can imagine. In my book I show many different designs and we litterally imprinted HUNDREDS of styles; some loosers, and some big hits!!
Please feel free to check out my blog : myfamilybusinessbook@gmail.com.
My name is Robert Paolantonio, third generation Cutler, owner, and all around info man!
Any other questions about Colonial, feel free to ask. My blog will also give you some insight into my book for sale, "My Family Business", Colonial Knife Company...
The book is $ 25.00 and comes with a free jewelry knife skeleton money clip, that works great as a page marker! All book are personall signed by me. The $ 25.00 also includes free shipping anywhere in the Continental U.S.
Welcome aboard!! Bobby P. CKCo.. Check out the attachement....
Attachments
GEDC1102.JPG
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Thanks for the info Robert. I like to do research when I find items like this. I found that "Spencer's River Roads Lanes" was located in River Roads Mall in St. Louis. Just so happens that my work boss is from that area and remembers the lanes from when he was a kid. Small world I guess.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Your more than welcome sir. Feel free to talk knives or any other Colonial questions you might have! Best regards, Bobby P...
Klenze8

Post by Klenze8 »

Hi Bobby,

Do you know when CK began making "Scout" knives (as used by the Boy Scouts? I am trying to date one left to me by my Dad.

Thanks,
Mike
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Klenze8 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 pm Hi Bobby,

Do you know when CK began making "Scout" knives (as used by the Boy Scouts? I am trying to date one left to me by my Dad.

Thanks,
Mike
Bob passed away
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Klenze8 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 pm Hi Bobby,

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike! Jus' bad timing for your question, but I'd like to take the opportunity to ::welcome:: you to AAPK jus' the same! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Yeah, Bobby was a great guy. ::pray::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”