Information on a Colonial Larg Stockman

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
knifetime

Information on a Colonial Larg Stockman

Post by knifetime »

I just got this knife and as with most Colonial knives I can't find much about it other than it has a patent # and from that I found it is a c,1970s.It is a real well made knife and I have never saw one from Colonial like it.Do they have any value and how much I know it cant go for much.
Attachments
DSCF0224.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
313 Mike

Re: Information on a Colonial Larg Stockman

Post by 313 Mike »

That's a solid looking old Colonial there Knifetime.
I check out alot of Colonial knives on ebay, and I would estimate that one would most likely go in the 10-15 dollar range...depending on the day,and a bunch of other variables. They just don't hold alot of "collectable" value unless they are in pristine condition or really old....or you are like me and just dig old Colonials. 8) I use all of mine though and seldom pay more that 10 dollars for one. They do make great users though of course!
Just my opinion, I make no claims to expertise! ::paranoid::
Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

313 Mike wrote:That's a solid looking old Colonial there Knifetime.
I check out alot of Colonial knives on ebay, and I would estimate that one would most likely go in the 10-15 dollar range...depending on the day,and a bunch of other variables. They just don't hold alot of "collectable" value unless they are in pristine condition or really old....or you are like me and just dig old Colonials. 8) I use all of mine though and seldom pay more that 10 dollars for one. They do make great users though of course!
Just my opinion, I make no claims to expertise! ::paranoid::
Mike
Thanks,I to dig the Colonial knives for EDC and I probably will throw this one in my pocket.I had never saw one with that type of handle and thought it may have been something special.
P,S, it took a great edge.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

If you check the bay, that handle style comes by fairly often from what i've seen. I agree with the $10 range depending on condition. I dig em too and have been rotating a 4" jack for a while now. Very good steel IMO . It'll be a good user.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

All very good assesment's gentlemen. This is an old # TP-333. It was called that because they came in three sizes on a blister pack card. Early 70's is pretty accurate and these were almost identical to our well known Ranger line. You know we mass produced dozens of knives like this and for a few bucks brand new, you couldn't go wrong! Well made, sharp, and if you lost it, you just go buy another one! The blades and springs were about .060 in thickness and were .1060 or .1075 Carbon Steel. They had plated liners and bolsters and like I said for a few bucks brand new, it was a great value. The only problem was that with this grade of carbon steel they were terribly vonerable to moisture and if you didn't keep it dry and the blades wiped, it would rust very easily. But there again, who cared! For a few bucks, buy another one!! I would agree even though they were mass produced, ten dollars in good condition is just about right.
Glad I could give you my professional opinion!
Robert A. Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Company...
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I'm with you guys I grew up on Colonials and Imperials in the late 60's they were do-all knives.the old rehandled scout was my first Journeymans knife he gave to me when he retired and the fishermans knife was my first one of that type ::nod::
Attachments
dscn1196.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for chiming in Bob....you KNOW we all appreciate your input! ::nod::

I'll take advantage of this opportunity to post up one of my old favorites, I'm thinking this one is from the same time frame, early 70's..? Note the long nail pull and the swedge on the blade, I do like that! :)
Mike
Colonial slim trapper 001.jpg
Mike

knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thank you RA that was what I was wanting to git.Thanks
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Here's the Package Robert is referring to. It should have 2 of each size in it.

I didn't know these had the plated bolsters that you talk about in your book, Robert!!
Was the final plate on these bolsters nickel? I have one with the plating worn off a little
and can see the copper under it.

Now I know a little more of this "parasite" that was living within the Colonial Knife Company! ::nod::
(Robert expands on the plated bolsters in his book.)

...... Joe
Attachments
TP-333 w plated bolsters in blister pack.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

If I'm not mistaken that copper is just another coat, but one that allows the chrome plating to stick. The reason I say this is because I've noticed the same thing on the chrome parts of my '51 Chevy (especially the interior) while stripping the rust bubbles off, there's a coat of copper under everything that is chrome.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very good gentlemen and thanks for the jab Joe, (you ho)...haha....
It's killing me cause I can't remember the DAM model # for this; it will come to me in my sleep....Yes Mike, early 70's, and one of the last solid nickle silver bolsters made...AND the last of the long pull's...(the Old Cutler line was really the last N. S. bolster's)
YES, the TP-333's had two of each size, and it was a double card I beleive with six on the back! This idea was used with many display cards because they would stand up on there own! They were DEFINATELY plated and the other gentlemen was correct; the copper underheath was applied to the cheap zink bolster to allow the nickle plate to adhear...
Glad I could help..Bobby P.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Elvis wrote:If I'm not mistaken that copper is just another coat, but one that allows the chrome plating to stick. The reason I say this is because I've noticed the same thing on the chrome parts of my '51 Chevy (especially the interior) while stripping the rust bubbles off, there's a coat of copper under everything that is chrome.
There was a very good reason that this happened.The normal plating process(so-called,"triple chrome plating") starts with a copper plating.The copper builds up rather rapidly so it doesn't stay in the tank all that long.It also fills in minute pits in the metal surface.After washing it is buffed to a high luster and then subjected to a plating of nickel.Again a rinse and then more buffing.
On early cars(prior to about 1931)a lot of trim pieces were nickel plated and worked pretty well but nickel is a relatively soft material and scratches readily.You can tell a nickel plated surface from one that is chrome by the color:nickel reflects a slightly grayish color whereas chrome looks to reflect blue.
After the nickel plating the part is submerged in the chrome tank very briefly and then washed and buffed to the final finish.Being a very hard surface it resists scratching and chips.

Now to the reason the plating on your 51 Chevy is peeling.It was manufactured during wartime(the Korean Conflict or Police Action;whatever)and there was a shortage of nickel for commercial purposes.Several manufacturers tried getting around this by chrome plating directly over the copper;not realizing that you needed the nickel to bond the chrome to the copper.This was particularly noticeable on Chevrolet grilles bumpers,and pot metal castings up until 1953 when nickel once again became readily available.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

WOW!! Thank you for the plating education! You clearly know your business!! I must admit with the exception of walking around the plating company's years ago like Victory and Eagle plating, the only thing I learned was the cheap zinc, cast bolsters we made and the whole plating process is a science within itself! Thanks for the plating lesson..
Bobby P.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hey Bobby, Could you tell us about the Anvil line of knives from Colonial.
They seem like good knives, I have one and I would compare it in quality to an Old Timer; which, if you know me, is high praise!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Yeah buddy, the Anvil was supposed to be a step up from the Ranger, but once it went from the drawing board to the press room and blanking, they already decided to plate the liners and bolsters, and once that happened, it was all down hill.
Dale, you need to buy my book!! Lots of these common questions are answered in my book. Just ask Scott Rauber and crazy Joe Keating!! These guys have all the inside info cause they have my book!!
ALL POINTS BULLETIN!! Before you decide to buy my book, go to my blog!!!!!!!!!!!
myfamilybusinessbook.com!! You'll see tons of stuff you would love to learn!!!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I mailed the money order to you on Monday or Tuesday.
You should have it soon. ::tu::

I am looking forward to reading it.
Oh, I was on your blog as well. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Got your M.O. Dale, thanks! The book should be there Soon! Being such an avid follower and collector of Colonials and it's history, you are going to ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BRAG ABOUT IT WHEN YOU READ IT!! I need to sell more to pay for the first print..
Heyman, go check out the new pics of the Old Cutlers I posted today!!
Buy more Ammo!! I LOVE it!! I feel naked only haveing 4,000 rounds for my AR alone!!
Here's a shot of the book cover.....
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 045.jpg
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I had to say think you, Robert A ,for the information.I love the old knife and it has found a permanent home in my EDC knives.
I had one I could use some help on.A car knife,I like to know what year it is if possible.
Attachments
3.JPG
1.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Yes sir, another one of dad's successful castings! On most of the cast knives that dad made for the ad specialty division of Colonial called Ambassador or Embassy Manufacturing,
there was always a place for a varied size of Celluloid to place a surface imprint. Between all the casted knives he introduced from the 70's through the 80's, if it was like the antique car, we would use an acid etching on the blade for advertisement. If there is none on your blade, it may have been polished off or he also sold many with no etching at all!
This one dates back to early 80's along with the Coke bottle, truck knife, Corvette, train,
C.C. Coin knife, almost too many to list! I don't even remember all of them!! This car knife of your's is probably worth $ 20.00, in real good shape! Maybe more to a serious casting type collector...
Bobby P..
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's one of the Colonial advertising truck knives I got courtesy of Scott! Cool little knife, real hefty!
Mike
from Scott 009.jpg
Mike

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Mike, I'll race your truck up the Interstate with my Peterbilt! OH
Attachments
DSC04459.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hey Bob!

I got the book today. It is really cool. I did a quick scan & can't wait to start reading it.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Mike313 and old hunter, thanks to our pal Scott you are the proud owners of the most successful casting knife in the history of Colonial Knife Company!! FACT!! My old man sold MILLIONS of these baby's and at one time, the sales from this knife kept Colonial's doors open; beleive it or not!! He sold them to trucking company's all over the world!!
I hate to be the salesman pusher guys, but this is another reason for you guys to buy my book!!! I talk extensively about the successes of the castings and the # 18 truck knife was the star of the show for almost 20 years!! It was also designed to stand upright on it's own!! My dad was a smart man!! He should have taken the Presidency when they offered it to him years ago....we'd still be in business..

Dale, glad you got your book pal!! You'll find my personal autograph and your antique skeleton on page 45! Read it and try to tell these guys how informative the book is and maybe I'll sell some books and buy some oil for my house this winter!! (I'd be happy to at least cover the cost of my first print)!!!! Enjoy the book Dale, the facts in that book are invaluable, just like my friends here on AAPK...
I must admit, My buddy Scott has been really good to me lately, and may be due for another little gift...hmmmm...let me ponder a while, he'll just have to wait..I spoil my buddy's, and I enjoy it ... Scott, what do you want for Christmas?? Bone, pearl, wood, it will be an early suprise!! Scott and Joe are just ALL good people, same as the rest of you guys, (and gals; haven't heard from any gals yet...)
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Robert,I have one more I would like to git a date on and just would like to no if you guys"Colonial "mad them.They are just stamped USA and have a flat sweage on back of the blades.
Attachments
DSCF0050.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Better late than never I guess.. The TP-333 display and large stockman was a # 650..

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”