Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Bonfire bob

Re: Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Joe, you have very important point here. ::hmm::
What your talking about is the depth and the size of the jigging cuts themselve's
and there are so many variation's of Colonial plastic handles alone !! Many other comp. have done the same...the old timer's must have thought that if they changed the exterior appearance or "feel" of the knife, it might generate more sales, different wants; who knows. The fact is that ALL of these old cutlery company's, all went through a stage where change needed to be and that's what we all celibrate today!! Actual history..
The way things did happen :D :D
Bob. P. CFE..
bdev

Post by bdev »

Just received this Colonial Camp Pal today and thought I'd share some pics.
Fork and spoon are stamped Stainless Colonial Prov RI, Knife is just stamped USA.

Enjoy......
Attachments
Colonial camp pal 004.jpg
Colonial camp pal 001.jpg
Colonial camp pal 002.jpg
Colonial camp pal 003.jpg
Colonial camp pal 005.jpg
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Joe you have some great old knives and I could look at them all day. I hope you post some more for us to see man. ::tu::

Bobby hear is the pics I promised,they are the best I could do with my junk camera. I could not git a good pic of the stamp. It says " Colonial,prov,USA and is the large type, as you can see the can opener is stamped USA just like the one in Joe pic. It has a brass divider and steel scales ,looks good inside.
Bobby if I can git my bud to trade me this knife I'm going to send it to ya,but don't git your hopes up because all the fuss I made about it he is not sure he wants to sell it now but give me some.lol

I never git tired of talking knives especially with a knowledgeable knife guy like you Bob and I'm sure most of the other guy's fill the same way.
Attachments
IMAG0603.JPG
IMAG0607.JPG
IMAG0605.JPG
IMAG0596.JPG
IMAG0598.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Man, I like that kit, Bruno! Sweeeeet! ::tu::

How about a little fishing trip, knifetime!
Maybe that yankee Bobby ::paranoid:: will come along fishing and tell us what these are. :lol:
(just pokin back at ya buddy :D ::handshake:: ) I will see if I can get some close ups of the tangs...
one of these things has an hellofa swedge along the scaler spine. Must be an older one?

...... Joe
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 051.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Ckeck this out!
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 061.JPG

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Bruno, I have the identical set; in case some guys missed it, I'll post them again...
Mr. Joe Keating is a Colonial Knife Animal.!!! He has the most incredible Colonial Collection
I've ever seen!! His fish knife collection spands 30 years of this particular style... ::mdm::
I don't know what our identical sets are worth Bruno; depending on how many of them are out there, I'd say right now, about $60.00, to the serious collector only.. ::super_happy::

OK, the big question of the night...The NCCA has it's 32nd Annual Extravaganza Knife show comming up in May.... ::suspense:: ::suspense::
I am seriouly considering setting up a booth for the first time in over 20 years.. ::shrug Show of my collection, sell some, and sell my book..???? BTW, I don't have a lot of books left.. ::teary_eyes:: Anyway, here's the ad..
I am considering selling some of my old bone, pearl, and Mammoth Ivory scrims... ::uc::
Let's take a vote...(this is gonna' hurt)... ::undecided:: ::undecided:: haha,,
Bob P..Colonial Knife Company.... Is there anyone close enough to Mystic CT., that might attend this show???
Attachments
Boy Scout--Forest Master 034.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 039.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 048.jpg
CCF11072013_00000.jpg
bdev

Post by bdev »

Bonfire bob wrote:
OK, the big question of the night...The NCCA has it's 32nd Annual Extravaganza Knife show comming up in May.... ::suspense:: ::suspense::
Should I set up a booth, show my collection, sell some, and sell my book..????
Here's the ad..
Let's take a vote...
Bob P..Colonial Knife Company.... Is there anyone close enough to Mystic CT., that might attend this show???
I say go for it.
I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Mystic and if I don't have any plans on that weekend (I'm in a car club that does a lot of weekend stuff) I'd attend.

PS......Bob....please check your email regarding your book.......Thanks......Bruno
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Go for it, Bobby... just DON'T sell your collection! You would regret it I'm sure. ::nod::
Sell that book so you can get ready for your next book... hopefully one full of color pics with
all the model No.s you can think of! (I know that's alot of knowlage you have.)

I'm sure there would be many folks willing to "donate" the pictures of the knives. All you would have to do is
add the info and time-lines.

Who all would like to see a Colonial book with pictures and modle No.s??? It would be a great reference.
::groove::

Now here's a little more celluloid candy for ya to tell us about...

.... Joe
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 022.JPG
Colonial Stamps 023.JPG

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Nice Pront Colonial Joe, and thanks for the votes Bruno and Joe...
What I would do at the show Joe is give myself more exposure and show all my
display cases of knives..!! ::tu::
I might part with a couple if the price is right! ::shrug::
Here's a sample Pearl/Mammoth Ivory case and I can't even imagine what it's worth....
Bob P. Colonial Classic display case.. ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
CCF11082013_00000.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Bruno, I didn't get a mail from you about your book and your address....
Try again : bonfirebob11@cox.net
Thanks Bobby...
bdev

Post by bdev »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hey Bruno, I didn't get a mail from you about your book and your address....
Try again : bonfirebob11@cox.net
Thanks Bobby...

Just sent it again.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Nice display Bob could you show a better pic of that little pearl Congress ??
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I found something very cool about the spoon fork knife set I just got. It is a shell handle set ,it has solid handles and is a bit smaller than the set you have. They are about 3in closed. All 3 pieces are ss including the knife and all are stamped "Stainless,Colonial,prov, USA.". BTW great looking knives man.
Just incase you don't remember the set I'm talking about hear is the pic.
Attachments
$(KGrHqF,!okFJn)11QIDBScSkN(-Gw~~60_57-1.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Joe Dirt wrote:Go for it, Bobby... just DON'T sell your collection! You would regret it I'm sure. ::nod::
Sell that book so you can get ready for your next book... hopefully one full of color pics with
all the model No.s you can think of! (I know that's alot of knowlage you have.)

I'm sure there would be many folks willing to "donate" the pictures of the knives. All you would have to do is
add the info and time-lines.

Who all would like to see a Colonial book with pictures and modle No.s??? It would be a great reference.
::groove::

Now here's a little more celluloid candy for ya to tell us about...

.... Joe
I agree with Joe 100%… You could write a very cool book on Colonial knives and patterns as a follow up of your other book. The other book was great for letting ppl know what went on at the COM and a lot of great Colonial and family history. Now it is time for a very good reference guide for collectors to use to date and help price Colonial knives along with RAP and all the other tang stamps you guys used over the years. I know you got it in you man just look at how much you help us on hear. You could help lots of others out there that don't co m e to this site. ::tu::
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Yes Phil, I remember; the set is a gem!!
You see how Colonial used another designed knife, and made the indentical kit with a different style...These two sets of our's Phil are probably worth more as a pair...
I honestly don't know how many variation's of items they made and more importantly,
how many they made!!!!! ::shrug:: ::dang:: ::shrug::

To this day, nobody has come fourth with any old records of production #'s, or records,
stock #'s that changed ten times through the years, THERE IS NO OFFICIAL RECORD and I don't claim to know everything; I do the best I can with my years in the factory.....
I am the only known "Colonial Historian", that has come forward, or is still alive.. :|

This is why I personally appreciate seeing all you "Excellent people", showing all your old Colonial's here at AAPK. I learn something every day.. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Just keep that set tucked away for now and I'll do the same with mine! ::smirk::
Keep em' comin' folks, I want to base my second and much more popular book on the friends, knives and photo's that I've had the pleasure of meeting here on AAPK. You'd be personally mentioned in the book, along with your knife or knive's... ::hmm::

I smell inspiration comming.... 8) 8)
Bob P. CFE...
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Great kit, knifetime! ::tu:: I have the knives but no pouch to put them in. ::tear::

Very nice display case, Bobby!! You got some nice knives for sure! ::woot::
Get inspired, man! We wan't another book. ::nod::

This pic is a 5"' saber ground fixed blade (bottom) & 5" Fish Knife folder. The stamp pic
is from the fixed blade... it's tiny compared to other stamps?
I have only seen one other shell fixed blade like it.

.... Joe
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 062.JPG
Colonial Stamp on fixed blade.JPG

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Nice fish knives Joe, your always good at pulling stuff out of the closet!!
# 409 F on top and a # SF 409 F, for fixed blade...I believe..... ::smirk::

The second book....funny thing is, I write everything down ! I have AAPK notes for the last two years at least! Times, dates, author's, knife topics.....and I'm sure I can get some folks here to add to the list... ::pray::

Mystic in May baby....is what I'm thinkin'.... ::hmm:: ::hmm::
Bob P.. RAP Cutler...

Just a reminder, Scott has a bunch of stuff up again for sale this weekend on his site!!
These Colonial products will never be sold again so check-em out guys... ::ds::
The BIY Barlow kits are running very low, along with my book inventory....
I'm still paying for the first print!! Sales are at 157 in 4 different country's........ ::nod::
Do you know what those color book pics cost?? ::uc:: ::uc::
My pal Joe wants a book full of pics AND so do I!!! We'll see what we'll see; time will telll.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Kool Bob I can get pic's of three of your Rap's and one Heritage Cutler + a few pre WWII's you can make it happen with the internet help--you should do it-between you and other family members you have there's alotta history--what kinda knife collections does your other family members have-bet there some nice one of a kind knives like you have floating around your family
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

These are what those Old Cutler Barlow kits Scott has for sale can look like.
Just find your own handle materials and assemble the knife! Pretty easy to do
with the detailed instructions Bobby wrote...

..... Joe
Attachments
BIY Barlow Green Bone 008.JPG
#720 Old Cutler EXAMPLE 004.JPG

bdev

Post by bdev »

Hey Bob.....did you received my second email regarding your book? If not, check your spam folder.....Bruno
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Nice job Joe!! The knives are beautiful and thanks for helping us show tha masses how
easy it can be to create such works of art!!Thanks a bunch Joe!!
Bobby P. ::tu:: ::tu::
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I read the Pronto was a very short run do to Schrade filing a law suit on Colonial because it was to closely named to Shrade's Presto pattern--they were then called Sure-Snap
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Absolutely correct Scott!! See, my buddy's here are a huge part of Colonial's history!
After the "Pronto debacle" Colonial intoduced the 'Shur Snap" label in 1948..
I can always count on my AAPK friends to assist in assesments and facts for acurate information...
Scott, you are the man!! Guys like yourself and Mr. Joe Keating, "Royal Pines Cutlery"
are going to assist in the foundation of my second book..... ::handshake:: ::handshake::
Thanks a million Scott, AAPK needs more folks like yourself!! ::super_happy::
Bob P. CFE....
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

The yelling went on about these two marks! Schrade won with the earlier patent date I suppose???

..... Joe

EDIT: To add Shur-Snap pics
Attachments
016.JPG
1 Shur-Snap.JPG
2 Shur-Snap.JPG

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Bonfire bob.
I purchased this Anil knife with a Majestic watch and I was wonder if you could please tell me around what year they where sold.I try keep records and pictures of all my knive collection and years they where made.The knife has ANVIL Stainless USA on the tang.
Grant
Attachments
P1020848.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”