Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Bonfire bob

Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by Bonfire bob »

Let's open the forum correctly and authentic....
My name is Robert Anthony Paolantonio... I am third generation cutler and family business owner untill the real Colonial Knife Company closed it's doors in 1998. Since there were NO other second OR third generation cutler's, and the fact that I spent the better part of my life working all departments of the 200,000 square foot manufacturing plant, my pocket knife knowlege surpasses any other Paolantonio alive. Especially the fact that I have hand worked litterally thousands of knives in bone, stag, pearl, Mammoth Ivory and many more.
I have recently written a book called "My Family Business", Colonial Knife Company, by Robert Paolantonio. It is the most authentic and accurate assesment of the beginings of the Paolantonio family and eventually, the incorporation of Colonial in 1926.
My grandfather Frederick Paolantonio paved the way for the family arriving FIRST in this country in 1903. He worked in Connecticut at Miller Bros. and many other cutlery company's when eventually his two brothers came here and did the same. The old timers eventually got together with all thier combined skills and incorporated Colonial!
Together, they brought the status of CKCo. to second largest manufacturers of pocket knives in the world!! Check out my blog : myfamilybusinessbook@wordpress.com....
My book is also for sale for $ 25.00 with free shipping anywhere in the Continental U.S.
The book also comes with a bonus! It comes with a free antique jewelry knife skeleton,
that has a clip for a back liner, and works great as a page marker. You will find it on Page 45 of my book, along with my personal autograph! Please contact me Robert with any further questions pertaining to my family business, Colonial Knife Company.
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 046.jpg
wiseguy

Re: Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by wiseguy »

Nice to meat you Sir. ::handshake::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Likewise, my friend...Bobby P.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Hi Bob;

Thanks for your contributions and thanks to Bryan its nice to have a Colonial forum.

Bob, can you provide any info on the DURANGO line of knives that Colonial made on contract for Case?

I have read about them but others here may be interested. They must have been a very short run...in my almost 40 years of studying knives, in particular older Case knives, Case catalogs, price lists, etc, I have only owned one DURANGO knife and have never seen any mention of them in Case factory literature. I spent time in the archives at Case and no mention of them there either.

Thanks
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Durango!! Man, I haven't even heard that name in a long, long time!! To be perfectly honest my friend, I would have to see a photo to jogg my memory a bit..Thanks, now I'll be up all night trying to navigate through the smoke and the drink in my brain to find the answer!! haha!!
As previously mentioned, Colonial did TONS of private labeling runs; some depending on the order size, kind of "slipped under the radar", if you know what I mean..with a plant the size of Boston, you'd be suprised what some family member could "hide" from the rest of us, if they wanted to. I don't think this is the case although...Hey, I made a funny "case", get it?? I don't !! Yes I do.....try to get a photo...I did have a pair of blue jean boots called Durango's...Not close enough Bob, I'll keep thinking...Sheeesss....
tangstamp

Post by tangstamp »

Tangstamp here, Bob. Terry Norman to most folks here in Texas. Really glad to meet you! Thanks for this great forum!
Terry Norman
Mansfield, Texas
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Excellent to have a Colonial Forum here now.
I sent Bryan a Pm about setting this forum up, but I totally missed it when he did. ::doh::
In my defense I have been busy taking care of my wife as she recovers from knee replacement surgery.

I made this thread a sticky so it will stay at the top of the list.

OK Bob, it is up to you as the resident Colonial expert, (maybe one of the few in the world), to answer questions, 'cause I know very little about Colonial and what they made. ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very good Dale, here I am folks!! I don't claim to know everything that Colonial made or every little detail, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts, I have compiled more family and knife info than any Paolantonio alive!! Don't believe??? Read my book!!
I will say this as a fact... there is not another family knife business that has a direct decendant to tell the 100 year old story through facts from the old timers to me, 54 years young, from the eyes and ears of a third generation cutler and owner. In addition, no cutlery company has ever told the entire story about pocket knife production from cold, rolled steel and the press room, to a finished product ready to sell in the shipping room.
A 200,000 square foot manufacturing facility is explained in great detail about knife production from begining to end!! Read my book; learn something about making knives, and hang out with me and the rest of us knife nuts!! ( we're cool guys) !!
Boby Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Co., R.A.P. Cutler, and Heritage Cutler's...
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

knifeaholic, Steve I believe, questioned the "Durango" line...I asked my brother Dave last night; no results.....so I have a call into my uncle Albert, 86 years old, and maybe he can shed some light on this question!! I will let you know!!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Bonfire bob wrote:knifeaholic, Steve I believe, questioned the "Durango" line...I asked my brother Dave last night; no results.....so I have a call into my uncle Albert, 86 years old, and maybe he can shed some light on this question!! I will let you know!!!
As a collector with a historical twist to my interest in knives, I am extremely pleased that we have a 3rd generation member of the family who knows as much as Bob. But even more impressive is that he can ask questions of family members in the second generation. Very cool. 8)
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Bonfire bob wrote:knifeaholic, Steve I believe, questioned the "Durango" line...I asked my brother Dave last night; no results.....so I have a call into my uncle Albert, 86 years old, and maybe he can shed some light on this question!! I will let you know!!!

Thanks Bob. They would have been mid 70's to early 80's vintage. The only mention I have ever seen was something written by Steve Paolantiono.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Steve, I called uncle Albert the other day and he didn't remember much about the Durango line either. As far as Steven P. goes, I didn't know he could write!! No, No Bobby, be nice. Steven spent 90% of his years upstairs in the office sales department, so naturall he did know the line, (he had to; he was supposed to be selling them). I always like him and we always got along. The fact of the matter is that I was a factory man in the trenches, and he was well dressed.
I am going to put a call into my cousin Barry; he was plant manager for years so he might know...Never give up!! I will find thid info by hook or by crook!!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hey Steve, I called uncle Albert the other day and he didn't remember much about the Durango line either. As far as Steven P. goes, I didn't know he could write!! No, No Bobby, be nice. Steven spent 90% of his years upstairs in the office sales department, so naturall he did know the line, (he had to; he was supposed to be selling them). I always like him and we always got along. The fact of the matter is that I was a factory man in the trenches, and he was well dressed.
I am going to put a call into my cousin Barry; he was plant manager for years so he might know...Never give up!! I will find thid info by hook or by crook!!!

Thanks Bob.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey guys, still waiting for the Durango question of the week..I'll get it; just need some time
In the many years of Colonial production there were time I was recoving fro surgery's and may have been out for months at a time!! Not much slipped by me in those years but somethingd did!! Only being completel honest!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Good evening guys and gals..
My good ole' North Carolina buddy Joe K. has recently brought to my attention a Heritage
knife he recently won on E-bay...The pics show a medium stockman, fake stag plastic handles, (definately Camillus style), with an oval shield with Heritage stamped on it. I couldn't see the tang stamp and I'm waiting for Joe to get back to me on that...
I explained to Joe that this IS NOT, an original authentic Bob Paolantonio Heritage knife!
Apparently after Heritage closed it's doors in or around 2003, somebody had chosen to jump on the opportunity to claim the Heritage name. When we incorporated OUR Heritage label, my three partners, all attorneys were very dilligent in comfirming that our name was not used before and we were the original Heritage Cutler's Inc.
I have spent the majority of my time here talking about Colonial's history and knives and I have not yet exploited my own custom knife company that we organized as Colonial was going out of business in 1999. Anyone that has purchased my book has full knowlege about Heritage but for the rest of my pals here, I'll give you the dime tour!
Our first order when Heritage opened was a 5,000 piece order for Smith and Wesson, a 2 blade large Trapper in India Stag, Hollow ground stainless steel, with parts purchased from Camillus. I formed a solid relationship with Micheal Dillon, plant manager of Camillus many years before we opened Heritage. We originally ordered parts from Colonial and at the very end, Colonial and my own family SCREWED us royally and refused to finish the order and even though they had thousands of parts stamped Heritage, they never had any intention of selling us parts because my cousin Steven, current owned and president of Colonial Knife Corporation claimed we were in direct competition with Colonial, and sent warning letters to anyone who would listen!! Thousands of parts that went right in the trash JUST FOR SPITE!!!!! THIS IS THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH!! WHAT NERVE!! So naturally they though they were going to destroy us before we even got started but as stupid as they were, they thought I was actually going to trust them???!! BULLSHIT!! I had made a deal with Camillus months before this to buy parts from them!! Maybe that's why my cousin Steven refuses to talk to me to this day!!
There, now the whole knife industry knows THE TRUTH OF WHAT MY OWN FAMILY DID TO ME!!! No problem, we had a $ 48,000.00 order to fill, and we did!!! The first knife off the assembly line went right to Colonial with a very sweet, well written letter using diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a way of telling someone to go to hell, and make them happy to be on thier way!! (dad taught me that one)!!
So, back at the ranch, here are several pics of our original Heritage Cutler's Inc.'s baby catalogue, and pics of our knives! I would like to see any Colonials dated from 1970 or up that look anything like these or are a threat to Colonial's line what so ever!! The real amazing thing is that Colonial it's self without me, had NO experience using Stag, they had NO tooling for the blades, springs, liner's or bolster's!! A THREAT!! Are you kidding me!!?? ::ds:: ::hmm:: ::teary_eyes::
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 109.jpg
Bosley and bread photo's 113.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Here are some of our threatening knives!!
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 052.jpg
Bosley and bread photo's 076.jpg
Bosley and bread photo's 066.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

And a few more...
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 087.jpg
Bosley and bread photo's 082.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

And one more...
Let's see..India Stag, Gold lip M.O.P., scrimshawed smooth bone, and white scrimed Buffalo Horn....from Colonial???? Big threat...what a pathetic jealous joke!! ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
Bosley and bread photo's 097.jpg
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Those are sweet lookin knives Robert!
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thank you sir..!!A real threat to Steven and his plastic Colonials, ey??
He sent this NASTY letter to every knife person in the world!! I wish I had a copy of the letter; I would take it and....$#%^@%^&(()(&&^^!!! Get it!! Pathetic...I'm proud of my work and skills and always will be..!!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Lets not forget the automatic " tackle box" favorites 8)..... " in Plastique " :D Image
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

NICE!! Wiseguy's got some pretty old Colonial Shur-snaps there! Nice condition and probably worth 40-50 bucks each! Maybe more to the serious collector...
Joe Dirt, what do you thing pal???
shugy

Post by shugy »

::nod:: those are some sweet knives Bonfire, what ever happened to brotherly love? ::disgust::
Why am I in this handbasket and where are we goin?
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

shugy, I totally agree!! I have always claimed to be a lover, not a fighter! As a matter of fact my sensative nature has got me in more trouble than you can believe! Trouble with evil, nasty people who pray on guys like me with big hearts!! That's ok though, they are going to have to explain their actions to St. Peter, and then they might realise that being a mean person their whole lives was a waste of time! It all comes out in the wash my friend, so let them continue on the dark path; it will be their undoing!! ::woot:: ::pray::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here and please have a safe and
happy holiday for you and your family's!! God bless...
Bobby P. CKCo... ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”