Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
PigSticker

Re: Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by PigSticker »

Man Bobbie you need to put some handles around some of them blades
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

That would be very cool Bobby,I just live in Ohio not to far for me to drive,lol.
Hey man look what I just bought off fleeBay,can you give me the down low on this little set. Thanks buddy,for your help.
I'm happier than a hog in slop over this one Bobster. You know how long I have been trying to git a set like this. Now if I can just find one like your papals I will be in like flint.
Attachments
$(KGrHqF,!okFJn)11QIDBScSkN(-Gw~~60_57-1.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!qQFJVtCKeu5BScSjMoVqg~~60_57-2.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Slow down man!! I'm still putting the # 1200 Ferest Master pics together and they will be on the other thread! ::nod::
Here's what I have and I would like to see the tang on this set...mine has the stainless Colonial stamp on the fork; just U.S.A. on the master blade..front side blade ground only..
I need to see the tang stamp on this set...the following pics are what I have and there are many variations from yours....Sets like ths were made in the mid to late 60's..
Bob P. CKCo..Stainless and Colonial stamp are on the fork; what's on yours??? ::shrug::
Attachments
Boy Scout--Forest Master 037.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 039.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 048.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Back to the Forest Master Phil...
This is my oldest known Colonial Forest Master/ Scout....
Strange, no shield, blade configuration is different, and there are lots of similarity's to your Beaver Falls FM but the lack of a center pin baffles the crap out of me!!
It's definately a Colonial skeleton but who, when, where and how are the main mysteries!
I'm going to call Beaver Falls, PA and get to the bottom of this one!! ::hmm::
Check this knife out....not only does it have .100 thousands thick blades and springs, it's got THREE .50 solid brass cut scales!! This is one of the beefeast's Colonial's I'VE EVER SEEN!! ::ds:: ::ds:: I estimate production date early to mid 50's.. ::hmm::
Bob P. CKCO...
Attachments
Boy Scout--Forest Master 001.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 006.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 016.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 026.jpg
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

It is a real cool one Bobby,I love it.
I'll git them pics of that forest master first thing tomorrow.
I don't have my hobo set in hand yet but I can tell you from the pics that all 3 are stamped stainless Evan the knife is stamped "stainless Colonial,PROV,USA" in fact it looks like all three pieces are stamped "Stainless Colonial" . It is supposed to be from the 60s.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Excellent Phil!!
There's no doubt in my mind it's one of ours' !! ::tu::
When the old timer's made tools back then, they would use it a dozen different ways.
Once you have tools to blank a blade, spring to match; uniform so to speak...
A liner tool, a cut scale tool, and handles or covers to consider that would be applicable....
Thousands of $$$ before they saw dollar 1 profit.. ::smirk::
Soooo one tool was made to make many different styles and variation's...
Nice little set my friend, tuck it away.. ::hmm:: ::hmm::
Bob P.....(I think I need to write another book) ...CKCo.....
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hey Bob I grabed another pic from another thread for you to look at. Look at the punch and look, no center pin. The only other Forests Master that I ever saw with no center pin.
Attachments
b1os.jpg
b1os.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 13596 times
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

NICE!! Ok Phil, here's the thing....many "shell" knives are made like this were as a complete skeleton of the knife was made and the shell tips are crimpt on at the ends..THAT'S
why the center pin is hidden...I bet that black FM has crimpt ends???
The questionable one's are the one's with solid bolster's..... ::hmm::
That belt punch is definately ours; that was the last style belt punch Colonial ever made...
This one I'll date early 70's.. ::nod::

How about that old baby below!!! Look at the work they put into the blade alone..nice long pull, very nice swedge on the blade front...wooden handled, IRON bolster's, this puppy is old!! Curiosly, can you even read the tang?? Love to see it... ::woot::

This should be a hint to all knife collectors...THE TANG STAMP TELLS 90% ABOUT A KNIFE'S ORIGIN!!! Try to photograph this gents; we all know how important it is!! ::tu::
Bob P. CFE..
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Here is a blister pack Forest Master and another out of the pack. It's kinda hard to see but the one still in the package
has a "stag jig" ( like in the pic above) while the other one has a "bone jig" handle. Niether have a center "rocker" pin.
The blister pack has a copyrite date of 1971... so it's no older than that. The blister packaging changed in the early '80s to
where the entire pack was enclosed in plastic.
Both are shell handle construction...

... Joe
Attachments
Forest Master.jpg
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Good eye Joe, nice display also...I also have my questions about the FR above!! ::hmm::
Your spot on about the jigging of the plastic..this is another reason to be able to see the tang!! ::ds:: ::ds::
Joe, maybe we'll start another thread..."SHOW US YOUR TANG STAMP". !!!!!!!!!!!! haha...
Nice job Mr. Joe Keating, Royal Pine Cutlery!! ::tu:: ::tu::

(rocker pin, It's a center pin you redneck!! LOL!!) ::handshake:: ::handshake::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Joe, you have very important point here. ::hmm::
What your talking about is the depth and the size of the jigging cuts themselve's
and there are so many variation's of Colonial plastic handles alone !! Many other comp. have done the same...the old timer's must have thought that if they changed the exterior appearance or "feel" of the knife, it might generate more sales, different wants; who knows. The fact is that ALL of these old cutlery company's, all went through a stage where change needed to be and that's what we all celibrate today!! Actual history..
The way things did happen :D :D
Bob. P. CFE..
bdev

Post by bdev »

Just received this Colonial Camp Pal today and thought I'd share some pics.
Fork and spoon are stamped Stainless Colonial Prov RI, Knife is just stamped USA.

Enjoy......
Attachments
Colonial camp pal 004.jpg
Colonial camp pal 001.jpg
Colonial camp pal 002.jpg
Colonial camp pal 003.jpg
Colonial camp pal 005.jpg
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Joe you have some great old knives and I could look at them all day. I hope you post some more for us to see man. ::tu::

Bobby hear is the pics I promised,they are the best I could do with my junk camera. I could not git a good pic of the stamp. It says " Colonial,prov,USA and is the large type, as you can see the can opener is stamped USA just like the one in Joe pic. It has a brass divider and steel scales ,looks good inside.
Bobby if I can git my bud to trade me this knife I'm going to send it to ya,but don't git your hopes up because all the fuss I made about it he is not sure he wants to sell it now but give me some.lol

I never git tired of talking knives especially with a knowledgeable knife guy like you Bob and I'm sure most of the other guy's fill the same way.
Attachments
IMAG0603.JPG
IMAG0607.JPG
IMAG0605.JPG
IMAG0596.JPG
IMAG0598.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Man, I like that kit, Bruno! Sweeeeet! ::tu::

How about a little fishing trip, knifetime!
Maybe that yankee Bobby ::paranoid:: will come along fishing and tell us what these are. :lol:
(just pokin back at ya buddy :D ::handshake:: ) I will see if I can get some close ups of the tangs...
one of these things has an hellofa swedge along the scaler spine. Must be an older one?

...... Joe
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 051.JPG

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Ckeck this out!
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 061.JPG

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Bruno, I have the identical set; in case some guys missed it, I'll post them again...
Mr. Joe Keating is a Colonial Knife Animal.!!! He has the most incredible Colonial Collection
I've ever seen!! His fish knife collection spands 30 years of this particular style... ::mdm::
I don't know what our identical sets are worth Bruno; depending on how many of them are out there, I'd say right now, about $60.00, to the serious collector only.. ::super_happy::

OK, the big question of the night...The NCCA has it's 32nd Annual Extravaganza Knife show comming up in May.... ::suspense:: ::suspense::
I am seriouly considering setting up a booth for the first time in over 20 years.. ::shrug Show of my collection, sell some, and sell my book..???? BTW, I don't have a lot of books left.. ::teary_eyes:: Anyway, here's the ad..
I am considering selling some of my old bone, pearl, and Mammoth Ivory scrims... ::uc::
Let's take a vote...(this is gonna' hurt)... ::undecided:: ::undecided:: haha,,
Bob P..Colonial Knife Company.... Is there anyone close enough to Mystic CT., that might attend this show???
Attachments
Boy Scout--Forest Master 034.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 039.jpg
Boy Scout--Forest Master 048.jpg
CCF11072013_00000.jpg
bdev

Post by bdev »

Bonfire bob wrote:
OK, the big question of the night...The NCCA has it's 32nd Annual Extravaganza Knife show comming up in May.... ::suspense:: ::suspense::
Should I set up a booth, show my collection, sell some, and sell my book..????
Here's the ad..
Let's take a vote...
Bob P..Colonial Knife Company.... Is there anyone close enough to Mystic CT., that might attend this show???
I say go for it.
I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Mystic and if I don't have any plans on that weekend (I'm in a car club that does a lot of weekend stuff) I'd attend.

PS......Bob....please check your email regarding your book.......Thanks......Bruno
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Go for it, Bobby... just DON'T sell your collection! You would regret it I'm sure. ::nod::
Sell that book so you can get ready for your next book... hopefully one full of color pics with
all the model No.s you can think of! (I know that's alot of knowlage you have.)

I'm sure there would be many folks willing to "donate" the pictures of the knives. All you would have to do is
add the info and time-lines.

Who all would like to see a Colonial book with pictures and modle No.s??? It would be a great reference.
::groove::

Now here's a little more celluloid candy for ya to tell us about...

.... Joe
Attachments
Colonial Stamps 022.JPG
Colonial Stamps 023.JPG

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Nice Pront Colonial Joe, and thanks for the votes Bruno and Joe...
What I would do at the show Joe is give myself more exposure and show all my
display cases of knives..!! ::tu::
I might part with a couple if the price is right! ::shrug::
Here's a sample Pearl/Mammoth Ivory case and I can't even imagine what it's worth....
Bob P. Colonial Classic display case.. ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
CCF11082013_00000.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Bruno, I didn't get a mail from you about your book and your address....
Try again : bonfirebob11@cox.net
Thanks Bobby...
bdev

Post by bdev »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hey Bruno, I didn't get a mail from you about your book and your address....
Try again : bonfirebob11@cox.net
Thanks Bobby...

Just sent it again.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Nice display Bob could you show a better pic of that little pearl Congress ??
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I found something very cool about the spoon fork knife set I just got. It is a shell handle set ,it has solid handles and is a bit smaller than the set you have. They are about 3in closed. All 3 pieces are ss including the knife and all are stamped "Stainless,Colonial,prov, USA.". BTW great looking knives man.
Just incase you don't remember the set I'm talking about hear is the pic.
Attachments
$(KGrHqF,!okFJn)11QIDBScSkN(-Gw~~60_57-1.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Joe Dirt wrote:Go for it, Bobby... just DON'T sell your collection! You would regret it I'm sure. ::nod::
Sell that book so you can get ready for your next book... hopefully one full of color pics with
all the model No.s you can think of! (I know that's alot of knowlage you have.)

I'm sure there would be many folks willing to "donate" the pictures of the knives. All you would have to do is
add the info and time-lines.

Who all would like to see a Colonial book with pictures and modle No.s??? It would be a great reference.
::groove::

Now here's a little more celluloid candy for ya to tell us about...

.... Joe
I agree with Joe 100%… You could write a very cool book on Colonial knives and patterns as a follow up of your other book. The other book was great for letting ppl know what went on at the COM and a lot of great Colonial and family history. Now it is time for a very good reference guide for collectors to use to date and help price Colonial knives along with RAP and all the other tang stamps you guys used over the years. I know you got it in you man just look at how much you help us on hear. You could help lots of others out there that don't co m e to this site. ::tu::
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Yes Phil, I remember; the set is a gem!!
You see how Colonial used another designed knife, and made the indentical kit with a different style...These two sets of our's Phil are probably worth more as a pair...
I honestly don't know how many variation's of items they made and more importantly,
how many they made!!!!! ::shrug:: ::dang:: ::shrug::

To this day, nobody has come fourth with any old records of production #'s, or records,
stock #'s that changed ten times through the years, THERE IS NO OFFICIAL RECORD and I don't claim to know everything; I do the best I can with my years in the factory.....
I am the only known "Colonial Historian", that has come forward, or is still alive.. :|

This is why I personally appreciate seeing all you "Excellent people", showing all your old Colonial's here at AAPK. I learn something every day.. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Just keep that set tucked away for now and I'll do the same with mine! ::smirk::
Keep em' comin' folks, I want to base my second and much more popular book on the friends, knives and photo's that I've had the pleasure of meeting here on AAPK. You'd be personally mentioned in the book, along with your knife or knive's... ::hmm::

I smell inspiration comming.... 8) 8)
Bob P. CFE...

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”