Now we have a Colonial thread,Show'em

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Now we have a Colonial thread,Show'em

Post by garddogg56 »

This was LOOOONG over due for such a Great American knife company ::ds:: ::super_happy::This is a set-up that I use now and again at work.The lockback was a company safety award.
Attachments
100_0817.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
313 Mike

Re: Now we have a Colonial thread,Show'em

Post by 313 Mike »

Very cool, a whole section dedicated to Colonial!

Perhaps one of the mods would see fit to move the Colonial thread that has been running in the knife lore section over here, there are quite a few great old Colonials posted over there already!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... &start=150

Here's an old Colonial cell handled number that I'm quite fond of...
Colonial blue swirl 005.jpg
Colonial blue swirl 006.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This is great - thanks to Bryan and to Bob for getting this started. I'm going to start by posting my favorite Colonial pocketknife; a 4" Old Cutler Texas Jack that was a gift from Philco last spring. This knife snaps like a gator, takes an edge like a razor, and is tough as a grizzly bear - what a knife! OH
Attachments
DSC03776opt.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's another old cell handled Jack...solid half stops and snappy as can be!
Mike
Colonial with Habanero plant 002.jpg
Mike

Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks for starting this thread Garddogg. ::tu::

I dig 'em :D
Attachments
Project jack. worm groove bone rescale
Project jack. worm groove bone rescale
colonial 002.JPG
Possibly colonial made? Only marked USA.
Possibly colonial made? Only marked USA.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

and a few more.

All have been bosted on various threads before.
Attachments
colonial 005.JPG
kvs 022.JPG
4" jack, white delrin
4" jack, white delrin
I dig half stops!!

My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Wow, this is great!! It appears AAPK has needed a Colonial Expert for a long time; well here I am! So glad I have found a new home and just recently became a new member...
Just because, I'm going to start at the top and at least recognise all you Colonial guys and your knives, the best that I can! Garddog was first with one of the old TP-333 family, this being the largest of the three and built pretty well. To the right is a much older 2- blade
honey and probably dates back early 60's; solid N. S. bolster's I beleive and built well.
And then our proud # LB-125, that took years to design and promote! Plated bolster's and liners but a good value, especially with the plastic handle having the ability to be "Hot Die Stamped" for advertising! We sold tons of these. Next is 313Mike with that pretty old blue peanut with bolster tips incorporated in the liner! Very pretty Celluloid handles, probably mid 60's on this baby. Old Hunter is our next contestant with a nice # 532, 2-blade Old Cutler! This was our winner for the future and my design of choice because of the quality!
1095 carbon steel; in .095 thickness! Solid brass liners are .032 thickness, cut scale near the sheep foot and spay blades were .025, but the center brass cut scale was .050!! Nice, thick and strong. Solid N.S. bolster's and a one of the best quality knives of the last 20 years of Colonial's existance. I used these parts to make custom factory knives with M.O.P., Mammoth Ivory, all kinds of wood, smooth bone, jigged bone and even some pieced together Abalone Pearl. The Barlow Old Cutler was equally built well,and I made many of these also! 313Mike shows us another old peanut, same date as the pretty blue one. Cutty shows us a nice bunch and I'll start from the top again...
Very old, three blade stockman, don't remember the model #, probably late 60's. The Celluloid handles were another old probably 2- blade jack knife. Guys don't mind if I don't remember some model numbers since Colonial made hundreds and hundreds of different pocket knives over the years and If I were a walking computer, it would be nice, but I'm not! All I can do is give you the most honest assesment from my Colonial expertise!
Cutty, the next two are the famous # S-409-F; designated by "S" for Stainless, and the "F" was for fish knife; definately an older model like late 60's..we made this model for YEARS and I actually had one of the first ones made from M.O.P., but some time ago disapeared from my room! Another old jackknife from the same time line. The next was very popular being our Swiss Master # 1405, and the blister pack is same knife but the front view. The last one is our old Ranger, # 932, 2-blade in white; we made these for many years also...WOW!! My fingers hurt!! Glad I could help you guys and gals a bit; love to see these old baby's...How about seeing some early 30's, half moon round tang stamped, beautiful old jack knives?? Model #'s of these knives, forget it!! My father was a baby when these were made!! Enjoy and keep the questions and pics coming!!
Bobby Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Company, R.A.P. Cutler, and Heritage Cutlers... 8) ::nod::
Attachments
Frosolone knives 001.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Compliments of Bobby Paolantonio (bonfire bob) I have this 8 function utility knife with brown handles along with some of his business cards from the old days:
Attachments
Colonial Knife & Sharpener 002.JPG
And this Colonial Hobo knife
And this Colonial Hobo knife
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Bobby P. first of all welcome to the site. ::ds::

I greatly appreciate your knowledge and the time that you have taken to individually go over each and every knife posted. Your passion for the knives and your family history shows.

Five of the knives that I posted were edc's of both of my grandfathers. They are no longer with us but I cherish these knives and a few others of theirs over anything else in my collection. My father still tells stories from many decades ago about his father and that old fish knife and stockman when ever he sees it. My mother also remembers her father carrying the jack that I have since rescaled. Those stories and history along with the knives are irreplaceable.

Nice old colonials everybody ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I believe that this knife is actually a CAMCO by Camillus.
Attachments
colonial 006.JPG
colonial 006.JPG (26.93 KiB) Viewed 16379 times
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks Steve. ::tu::

I wasn't sure. Colonial was just a very uneducated guess for me. I did have another member make the same colonial assumption some several mos. ago, I think???
I dig half stops!!

My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My second Old Cutler, this one is a NOS yellow handled jackknife (3-3/8"). I have a worn, red, two piece box with warranty/instruction sheet. OH

Ps Bobby, thanks so much for the information on my knife (and on the others) - I have a lot to learn about Colonial knives.
Attachments
DSC03901.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thank you Scott!! My FLA pal! THIS is the definition that it is always better to give, than to recieve! Scott loves that custom # 2008, RARE brown handled Swiss knife and just to see his appreciation, means the WORLD to me! Scott R is truly a good friend and one of most valued buddy for sure! I spoil my buddy's and ask around a bit like Scott and Joe K., and they will confirm it! Scott still loves that old hobo # 2644 Camper by Colonial., we made them for years and always a top seller! Thanks for the compliments Scott, your the best!! Bobby P. (Bonfire Bob)... ::tu::
Also, "old hunter", that's a neat little # 422 2-blade Old Cutler! I made lots of these with the Abalone pearl handles cause the pearl I found in the cellar at Colonial, just about fit that size knife! I have a dozen or so left, but I must come clean and confess I lost many of these to pretty little dolls at strip joints all over the south!! It was worth it DAM!! I'm all lap danced out, my boys here got the picture, right guys !! hahahahha!! At least I came clean!! This is outstanding!! I haven't been this happy in years!! WICKED nice guys, awsume knives, and lots of fun! Thanks to all; I have truely found a new home!!
Bobby... ::groove:: ::ds:: ::handshake:: Here I am; happy on my deck!!
Attachments
Cote's Shrooms.... 039.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for all the great info Bobby, great stuff!
Here's a couple of tiny little fellas I have! Almost too small to use for much beyond cleaning the fingernails, but still pretty cool little knives. Must have taken a steady hand to work on these mini knives!
Mike
tiny Colonial 001.jpg
Keychain knives 001.jpg
Mike

Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

GREAT to have a place on AAPK for the Colonial Knife Co. Also GREAT to have a 3rd
generation cutler on board who ACTUALLY WORKED AT THE COMPANY with us too!
Good to have ya here, Bobby! ::handshake::

This picture is of the back of my store display. Bobby kindly dated the old display for me.
It's from the early 70's.

This will help out on several of the pattern No.'s as well.

...... Joe
Attachments
Colonial CY 100 shells 1.JPG
Colonial CY 100 shells 2.jpg
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This shell handle Colonial Dogleg Jack is still new; marked stainless on each blade and on the bowtie shield - looks like it is from the same series/era as Mike's tiny jackknife. OH
Attachments
DSC03339opt.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Look at this vintage Colonial Fruit Tester WITH BOLSTERS!!!!
Attachments
Colonial Fruit Knife Melon Tester w bolsters.JPG
SCOTT

chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

here is a set of old cutlers that i just acquired for a steal. and below is the top of the walnut box with two lockbacks and a three backspring stockman that i got from 313 mike, also for a steal of a bargain.
014.JPG
008.JPG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice! I remembered the tiny two blade jack as our old "slim Jim", and with the help from Joe, I was able to give it's catalogue # which was # 4122 Slim Jim..
That tiny little yellow one was called our "Midget", and don't remember the number...
They were so cute; we sold thousands of them!! About 70's to late 80's on both of these.
Mike, if you think that was small, we made tiny MOP knives half the size of the small blade on the slim jim!!
Good old Joe K. my buddy with the old display cases with VERY IMPORTANT pics and cat #'s on the back!! Buddy, you've helped me with further identification of other guys and thier knives!! I only wish I could remember all the numbers through the years but as you can possibly imagine, there are thousands of them!!! And things like the fish knife, where they changed the cat # years ago from the 902 too the 409, for God knows what reason!
Those old display cases Joe, I remember we were ordered to trash HUNDREDS of them!!
That was the good old sales department for ya!!
Hey bud, did you get your SB parts yet?? Should be any day now....
Let me know...How are you fixed for knife rolls Joe?? Do you use them???
Thanks guys, Bobby P.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey there Triple F! That's one of our older #701 fruit knives, But these early versions with N.S. bolsters are much older and more valuable..The bolster ones date back to late 60's and were very well made; stainless of course....the smaller version was the # 601.
We sold litterally THOUSANDS of these for 30 years to Dole stamped with Dole Pinnaples and Dole Banana on them!! Probably 10-15 thousand pieces a year for 25 years!! ::super_happy::

Chetr 1200c, I am blown away!! Mike 313 DId score and you did also!! these were the pics I was waiting for..."the proof", so to speak..gentlemen, I desperstely and hoonestly need to know what you paid for this box set! It will help me determine price ranges for the future, PLEASE let me know!! The set is MINT, with certificate, man, what a score...please, once again, price??????????? Thanks guys, your the greatest!! ::ds:: ::ds::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Well, well, well......looky there Bobby ol' boy commented on one of my posts! What do ya know!

I knew there was something special about that knife!

Thanks for the info brother!
SCOTT

shugy

Post by shugy »

8) Cool thread guys, I only have 1 colonial and thanks to Bob for help with my switch! :mrgreen:
Attachments
colonial 002.JPG
Why am I in this handbasket and where are we goin?
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

Bonfire bob wrote:
Chetr 1200c, I am blown away!! Mike 313 DId score and you did also!! these were the pics I was waiting for..."the proof", so to speak..gentlemen, I desperstely and hoonestly need to know what you paid for this box set! It will help me determine price ranges for the future, PLEASE let me know!! The set is MINT, with certificate, man, what a score...please, once again, price??????????? Thanks guys, your the greatest!! ::ds:: ::ds::
pm sent
chet
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The blue's are running off Bogue Banks - anyone up for a fishing trip?
Attachments
Colonial Fish Knife.jpg
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Nice box of knives Chetr that is the same set I seen a couple weeks ago on Ebay--did they have file work on them?
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”