Check This Out!!!!!!

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Check This Out!!!!!!

Post by knifeaholic »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ANTQ-1920S ... 1c2c80a4ca

An amazing item!! I am not bidding but I hope someone out here can win this.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Check This Out!!!!!!

Post by knifeaholic »

Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

GREAT, Steve! Right up my ally of collecting!
I put a bid on each of them!

That's the stuff that DONT SHOW often! Makes ya wonder where it's been?????

....... Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Joe Dirt wrote:GREAT, Steve! Right up my ally of collecting!
I put a bid on each of them!

That's the stuff that DONT SHOW often! Makes ya wonder where it's been?????

....... Joe

Joe;

I hope that you can win them!!!

BTW, can you name all of the knife companies in the US that at one time or another produced knives with the shell handle construction?
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

::hmm:: I'll have to think on that for a bit, Steve!
There's a few of them that moved there shell division overseas.

...... Joe

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Joe Dirt wrote:::hmm:: I'll have to think on that for a bit, Steve!
There's a few of them that moved there shell division overseas.

...... Joe
No I mean all of the knife companies that at one time or another produced shell handled knives in the US....the ones that I know of are:

Imperial
Colonial
Providence Cutlery Co
Ideal Knife Co

Any others??
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

I think we can add Novelty to that list. That's about all I can think of right now.

I know Dale has one with a Camillus blade - but it's kinda skeptical.

..... Joe

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Joe Dirt wrote:I think we can add Novelty to that list. That's about all I can think of right now.

I know Dale has one with a Camillus blade - but it's kinda skeptical.

..... Joe
Novelty was a brand made by Prov Cut or Colonial though, not a separate company.

Stay tuned...as soon as I can get some photos I will post a couple that will blow your mind.
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Great, Steve! Can't wait to see them!

I'm sure I probably have a few "misfits" around here somewhere too.
How about starting them as a new topic so everyone will get a look...

....... Joe

Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Good morning friends! I just wanted to clear up a few things. Providence Cutlery Co. was run by my grandpa's brother Dominick. He sold the business in 1925 and joined his brothers and a few years later, formed Colonial Knife. Prov Cutlery was never a part of Colonial.
As far as shell knives being made overseas, I can't speak for the other company's but Colonial NEVER had shell knives made overseas! We had an extensive shell system including blanking, tubbing, and rivet assembly with our own in house made plastic handles. The sales department started buying Pakistan wood handles lockbacks in the 80's I believe and they were made so poorly, I was embarresed to say we sold them! When we opened the crates from Pakistan, bugs would run out all over the floor!!! The quality of they knives were absolutely the worst I had ever seen! The Rockwell on the blades were as hard as lead!! DEAD SOFT!! The springs, liners, and wood handles were horrible!!
From that, they started buying little plastic lock backs and then a whole line of lockbacks.
The quality sloooowly got better and after we stopped vertually ALL knife production at the plant, the only employee's on the payroll worked in the packing and shipping room.
I don't think we made even one of our own knives after 1995! ::barf::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Bob;

There was a Providence Cutlery Co. still in business into the 1980's though, as far as I know. I have one of their catalogs from the 1960's. And I recall driving past the Prov Cut plant in about 1986 and it looked to be still in operation. A modern smaller facility near the old Imperial plant.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Yes my friend this is true! After Dominick sold the company, (on Valley Street) years ago they stayed in business and continued for quite a long time!! I never really did follow thier progress but they stayed alive for years!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Great information on Prov. Cut Co., guys! ::tu::
Now I know why there is so much similarity between Colonial And Prov. ::nod::
It can b down right to tell who made what if they are not stamped...

BTW, BOTH of the print plates will be headed to NC soon!!!!! ::groove::

...... Joe

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Joe;

I'm so glad that you won those!!! They are cool.

Bob;

Can you shed any light on Ideal Knife Co, one of the other shell handled knife manufacturers in Little Rhody?

Thanks
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Sorry for the delay on your post about Ideal Joe, I just saw it now. Ideal was in Providence also at one time. I did see a few of thier old knives years ago but our history from my family doesn't give us any information and I personally don't remember when they folded.
I was in the factory once or twice many years ago and I can remember it wasn't a very large opperation... ::shrug::
Bobby P. CKCo....

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”