Odd Colonial Stamp???

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Joe Dirt

Odd Colonial Stamp???

Post by Joe Dirt »

Anyone ever seen this stamp before? ::shrug::

It's on a 2 blade, molded plastic handle, plated bolstered jack.

..... Joe
Attachments
(1) odd Colonial stamp.JPG
(2) odd Colonial stamp.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
313 Mike

Re: Odd Colonial Stamp???

Post by 313 Mike »

Nope, Joe, I've sure never seen that one. Kinda looks sort of "80's ish" to me though, but that's just a hunch.
Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Did you think of asking me Joe?? You probably did or I was out that day! hahahha....
I think we used these later than earlier Joe. I'm thinking early 90's and up. I bet the gringing on the blades has a series of many, many very fine vertical lines?? Towards the end, they didn't even deal with the sheilds anymore, as you can see..
SURPRISE!! It's a RANGER!! yup,the last of the Ranger's; when they ran out of good tang stampes they used what ever was laying around. They also cut out the sheild operation, along with the woman who inserted them!
Like my book clear dictates is that Colonial was on a steady decline in quality to save money!! That's how we lost Walmart you know!! Someday I'll tell you about it..
Bobb P.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bonfire bob wrote: I bet the gringing on the blades has a series of many, many very fine vertical lines?? Bobb P.
I hear school bells ringing. What the heck is "gringing" and how did it get on the blades? I've seen knives other than Colonial with fine vertical lines on the blades. Looks like the blade was run between two gears. Is that it?

I have a picture around here some place but at this moment, I can't remember which knife it's on. Sucks to get old.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

So sorry Jerryd, I fall asleep at the keeboard constantly and it drives me crazy!!
The word is "Grinding", and I'm sure the sentence makes much more sence!! Grinding was always done after the heat treating, since grinding soft steel would be just a mess!!
I'm sure you are more than well informed about blade grinding; if not I'll give you the basics of Colonial's procedure. Sorry again, human error strikes again!!

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”