Fixed Blades

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Joe Dirt

Re: Fixed Blades

Post by Joe Dirt »

Thank you Bobby! Great info. ::nod::

Here's just a little correction for the H1 Hunter for those who might have missed it;
the knife at the very top of the page is a F5BO and the "Staghead" is the H1 hunter.
(the knife with the church key guard is the F5BO = Fixed blade 5" blade with Bottle Opener)
Hope that Martini is easing your sore brain man. :lol:

Your sooo right about the hatchet, Bobby!! If ya look closely you can see where someone has
hammered with the end opposite of the ground edge. You wont find that many other "boys
knives" that would hold up to that!!!!!

You just wait til tomorrow my friend! Somthin is gettin close to RI as we speak!! ::groove::

...... Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Received this fix blade in the mail today.It is made by Schrade but has no tang stamp.I was wondering if the had a production or tang stamp number.
Schrade made up special ones with etching.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Schrade-Sa ... 2c68517771
I also posted under my latest schrade
Attachments
P1020283.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thanks for the correction Joe! The # still looks foreign to me but I would be the last man to question you! You've got more dam old Colonials than I do!!!

Greetings shearer! Thanks for showing that nice fixed blade beauty, especially the basket weave sheath!
Made by Shrade, with no tang stamp!!?? Mmmmmm. Unless you have absolute proof, a knife of this apparent quality would have some kind of indication of where it came from and who made it. It's very possible it was a special private label order but still, they would have gone out of thier way to put a company logo or something else to specify it'a validity.
Please don't feel offended my friend but I'm sure the boys here might agree with me.....
It is suspect, at the very least..
Joe, Scott, Overt...what do you think gents!!!??
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Bonfire bob here is the listing when I purchased the knife.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221153795040 ... 126wt_1045
Also I have posted in my latest schrade
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... &start=615
Before I purchased the knife I had seen several listing from seller in different countys stating the same thing.
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very good shearer!! The add is very clear about it being a Shrade!
When you show a knife my friend, any and ALL possible information you can give is extremely valuable. ::nod::
Like the add said, these were very special knives, given to the employe's ONLY and they called them "Lunch box Knives"..!! These knives were never sold to the public and this is probably why they never stamped it or gave it a catalogue #..
Please don't be offended at all my friend and I appologise for my doubting you!
The addition information would have removed all doubt right from the begining!!
I think you got a great deal on a rare and valuable knife!! Good for you..
Your friend and previous doubting Thomas, Bobby P. CKCo... ::tu::
TomcatPC

Post by TomcatPC »

Hello
Here is my Colonial Reproduction US Navy Mk.I Knife of WWII Fame. I got this knife last year and I'm very happy with it. I had no problem getting this knife sharp. As a US Navy Veteran and having a WWII USN Veteran Dad (who actually was issued a sheath knife as USN Aircrew in the War) I just had to have this knife!

I'd love to find an original USN Mk.I Knife (Colonial and/or any other maker) one of these days, but until then I have this one. I'm glad that this is being made today, so I can actually use it and not feel bad for scratching it up, etc.
Thanks
Mark

USN Veteran 1989-1993, VF-302 Fighting Stallions

Fan of Imperial Pocket Knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hello 1967 redrider, what do you mean "do you think Colonial was made like that"??
Welcome aboard first of all and second, my name is Bobby Paolantonio, third generation owner and cutler of my family business, Colonial Knife Company.
I would be personally happy to answer any questions you may have about my family's business, Colonial Knife. Pleased to meet you!
Bobby P. CKCo.. "Cutler 4-Ever"..

Bobby, nice to meet you too and sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Never seen a fixed blade with a church key guard, perfect design for us "beverage" consumers! I have some Colonial knives, including a knife/axe combo I think is made by Colonial and some shells. I'm relatively new to the knife collecting scene, love seeing and learning about knives. ::tu::

-John Knippenberg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Greetings Mark! When I first opened this and took a look at the UDT Navy Knife in that condition, I almost DIED!! An original in that condition would probably be worth hundreds!!
I agree about the new immatations; at least the memories come back for you and you can use it!! Good job Mark; we made TONS of these for combat use.... ::super_happy::

Hello again redrider (John)! The secret to this site is to click on that box on the bottom that says notify me to any replys! That's probably why every day I open my mail and there's six or seven responses!! I can't help it; I have to read them all. :mrgreen:
Nice to have you and keep in touch...when are you guys going to buy my book about Colonial??? ::shrug:: ::nod::
Bobby P. CKCo.."Cutler 4 Ever"....
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Bobby,

Do you have a store set up or where could I find such book? Thanks!

-John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hello John, you've come to the right place. Send me an e-mail at : bonfirebob11@cox.net
and I will reply and personally send you my book. I will give you the details when you mail me! That goes for the rest of you interested gents or gals!!

FYI My book "press release" will be in this month 's issues of "Knife World Magazine", the news letter of the "NCCA", which is The Northeast Cutlery Collector's Association", and
"Tactical Knives Magazine".....Respectively....Bobby Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Company, third generation owner and cutler.. R.A.P. Cutler, and Heritage Cutler's Inc.... ::groove:: ::groove:: ::groove::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Although this knife will not win any beauty contests the maker, somewhere in India, provided an effective knife with what fell to hand. In this case a leaf spring. The wooden handle and sheath are nicely carved with a simple leaf pattern that is not overly ornate. The metal clasp securing the knife to the sheath is clever and very effective.
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice quick steel!! Lot's of hand made knives went un-noticed or unappreciated over the years because nobody knew who the cutler's were and what thier history's were!
I happen to have a similar piece that has a locking blade at one end, and a locking fork at the other! I'll dig it out and get some pics here now that you've brought it up! Good man!!
Nice knife! As far as the history of such cool knives I must admit, I have no clue!!
Sorry, my knife knowledge stays within the boundries of the U.S.!!
Bobby P...CKCo...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks BB. I lack any specific knowledge to contribute but sometimes one can get a little sense of the maker by seeing if the knife was made with care, with respect for the materials. I look forward to seeing your knife, fork combo.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Valuable info in this thread! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”