I bought a CKC Cowboy Up Quick Flick for $10.

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
tangstamp

I bought a CKC Cowboy Up Quick Flick for $10.

Post by tangstamp »

This is not my video, but a link to a video showing the exact same CKC knife I bought from Tractor Supply in Mansfield, Texas for $10. It's the Colonial Knife Company Cowboy Up Quick Flick model 5500. It's assembled in China from USA parts, 440A stainless blade steel, has a texture nylon fiber handle, and sturdy pocket clip. It also has assisted opening and comes with a full lifetime warranty. It's a pretty sweet knife for the money. Oh, I just finished reading Bonfire Bob's book. Lots of good info and details. I highly recommend it.

Terry Norman
tangstamp

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_WsIyGMoMY[/youtube]
Terry Norman
Mansfield, Texas
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I bought a CKC Cowboy Up Quick Flick for $10.

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice knife, tangstamp, and welcome to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tangstamp

Post by tangstamp »

I was using my knife today to cut open the plastic shrink wrap on a case of beverages in plastic bottles. Because of the staggered way the bottles were positioned, I was unable to to make straight cuts in the shrink wrap. The zig-zag way I carefully cut through the plastic went easily enough because the knife was very sharp, but I din't realize how sharp till I was done. One of the bottles I had bumped with my knife edge was hissing. Upon closer examination, I could see a nick that was taking in air bubbles. My knife was SO SHARP, that just a simple bump cut into the bottle. I can't remember a time I ever had a knife that was this sharp. Pretty impressive for a $10 knife.
Terry Norman
Mansfield, Texas
gazon1

Post by gazon1 »

I purchased a CKC Cowboy Up Quick Flick also about 4 months ago because it looked so cool and seemed like quality workmanship for the price. Now, after only 4 months, the blade has loosened within the grip to the point that it now folds backwards away from the handle and screws are falling out of the handle rendering the knife totally useless!
I must note that the knife has hardly been used during this period of time and has rarely been out of my pocket until I attempted to cut through a 1/8th inch sucker on my peach tree. That's when the blade bent backward.
I emailed CKC noting this problem but they haven't bothered to respond to my complaint. I guess that's to be expected for a knife that only costs $10.00.
All in all, I can't help feeling that this is a total waste of money for a Chinese-made piece of crap!!!
As I offered CKC, I can furnish a photo to illustrate my complaint.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gazon1 -- Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to post up that picture you're talking about.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gazon1

Post by gazon1 »

Per request, here is a pic of my CKC Cowboy Up knife with the missing screw shown and the blade folded backward. This is quality???
Attachments
As you can see, the blade now folds backwards and the missing screw is shown.  This is quality???
As you can see, the blade now folds backwards and the missing screw is shown. This is quality???
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gazon1, welcome to AAPK! Sorry about your knife - guess that should teach us all what $10 buys in a China made knife. Just for the record, the Colonial that imported your knife is not the same Colonial we collect - the knives we collect were made by the original Colonial in Providence RI (much like the Schrade of today is NOT the same Schrade that made knives here in the USA). Many of these grand old names have been bought and are being used to brand cheap imports to fool people. You can still buy a quality USA made knife from Buck (check the label for the US Flag), Canal Street, Case (except for Tec-X), Bear & Son, GEC, and Utica - there are others. You are going to have to spend more for good old US made, but you will be able to keep the knife for a long, long time. Of course there are also hundreds of good, used knives out there. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Aw dude....sorry about your knife.

Colonial Knife Co. is one of those companies that answers the question - Who in the world would even allow sh!t like this on the market?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I've had the same problem with these types of knives no matter who the maker is--just tighten the screws once in awhile
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
colonial knife

Post by colonial knife »

Colonial knife warranties all their products, flashlights, machetes, throwing knives, everything!
to those of you that e-mail Colonial with your complaint may not be aware that on the package your knife came, also listed the toll free number to Colonial Toll Free 866-421-6500 plus there is a return for warranty address on the back of the package-
for those upset with Colonials' lack of quick reply to your e-mail questions, PLESAE CALL THE TOLL FREE NUMBER LISTED ABOVE
Respectfully,
Steve Paolantonio
Colonial Knife, a division of Colonial Cutlery International, Inc.
:)
junebug

Post by junebug »

the thread your POSTING to, is like a year old.................so probably matters NOT to orig poster......
BUT WHY NOT JUST ANSWER YOUR CUSTOMERS EMAILS TO ,YOUR COMPANY??????
ESPECIALLY A WARRANTY CLAIM OR PRODUCT FAILURE QUESTION via EMAIL......... ::shrug::
heck ANY EMAIL FROM ANY CUSTOMER FOR THAT MATTER??????
AND WHY WOULD THAT NOT BE DONE IN A TIMELY MATTER....OH SAY, 24 to 48 HOURS ????OR IF RECEIVED FRIDAY...BY NEXT MONDAY B4 YOU CLOSE.........ETC ,ETC,ETC....

please do not take offense,computer shows no emotion....HONEST QUESTIONS on why a company would do business this way.............
STRICTLY TALKIN EMAILS here......NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY 1800 PHONE NUMBER........

::hmm:: ::pace:: ::pace:: ::pace:: ::pace:: ::pace::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I agree Junebug.

I emailed KAI USA aka Kershaw yesterday afternoon and I have a response this morning 7:28 AM eastern. They are a large company and had no problems getting back with me ASAP. I understand that CKC may not have the staff that KAI does but responding to your customers emails, especially concerning warranty, goes along way to keep those customers.

::shrug::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”