Sharp™ USA Knives Made By Colonial

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
B.Mauser

Sharp™ USA Knives Made By Colonial

Post by B.Mauser »

Colonial made the knives and owned the trademark for Sharp™ USA. These knives were sold at Kmart stores across the USA from the late 1970's through the mid 1990's. Colonial did not make or own Sharp Japan.

These were stainless steel and marked as such on the package.Some were also marked Stainless on the tang. I believe them to be 420 but Colonial never advertised which stainless. Colonial used 420 for most of their stainless steel knives reserving their 440 for what they considered their higher end knives.

The Sharp knives were made on the anvil knives machines. So they were basically an Anvil knife with just a couple changes. Colonial would stamp the main blade with the Sharp tang stamp instead of Anvil.Then they used the Colonial Stagalon handles instead of the Anvil handles.

Below are some pictures of Sharp knives. Anyone with Sharp™ usa knives are welcome to post your knives here. Tsar Bomba I hope you will post yours that both have the 270 main blade.

Here is a Model 380 which Colonial called the Trapper. This one is still in the original clam pack from 1992.

Colonial Sharp USA 380 in CP.jpg

Colonial Sharp USA 380 in CP 2.jpg

Here are a couple I have. A model 380 and a little moose peanut with a blade marked 260.

Colonial Sharp knives.jpg
Colonial Sharp knives 2 .jpg
Colonial Sharp knives 3 .jpg

There is some confusion when it comes to identifying these different models. There is a number stamped on the main blades that is the model number. The problem with relying on that number comes from something Colonial did in the 90s when things were not going very well for them.

Colonial would go through the warehouse and find knives to assemble using parts from different models or even lines. Many sharp knives used the exact same blades other than the model number stamped on the tang. They were just configured differently. So you could take the frame from a 260 or 280 and use a main blade marked 270 and it would come out the same other than the number.

So at this point the only model number I know for sure is the 380 because its the only one I have seen in original packaging.

Remember what I said about Sharp being made on Anvil machines?

There must have been quite a bit of Sharp parts sitting around because I even have a knife that is mostly Anvil other than a Sharp 380 main blade.

Here it is with a Sharp 380 for comparison.

Colonial Anvil and Sharp 380 1.jpg
Colonial Anvil and Sharp 380 4.jpg
Colonial Anvil and Sharp 380 2.jpg
Colonial Anvil and Sharp 380 3.jpg

I also have an old Colonial model #426 peanut that was made in the early 1960s. It has the solid nickle silver bolsters used before Colonial went to the pressed on bolsters. Its shape is the same as Anvil and Sharp so I though it would make an interesting picture for this thread as well.

Colonial and Sharp Peanuts.jpg
Brian

Check out my Colonial Knife Blog - https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
313 Mike

Re: Sharp™ USA Knives Made By Colonial

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow, alot of information there, thanks for posting. And just to further muddy the waters, I see that the knife in the clam pack in the first picture that is labeled as a Trapper, is actually a 3 blade stockman.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
B.Mauser

Post by B.Mauser »

You are welcome Mike.

I have wondered about that too. Colonial obviously knew the difference between a trapper and a stockman. So why would they do that?

Maybe they assumed the average consumer of these low end knives wouldn't know the difference and would somehow be more inclined to buy it with a cool name?

::shrug::
Brian

Check out my Colonial Knife Blog - https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've learned something from this post. I've always liked the Anvil line of knives but didn't realize they had "Sharp" cousins.
Thanks for posting this info.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

B.Mauser wrote:You are welcome Mike.

I have wondered about that too. Colonial obviously knew the difference between a trapper and a stockman. So why would they do that?

Maybe they assumed the average consumer of these low end knives wouldn't know the difference and would somehow be more inclined to buy it with a cool name?

Great info about the Sharp USA knives!! I remember the Sharp Japan knives, had forgotten about the Sharp USA.

On the naming of the pattern, especially in the days prior to knife collecting, manufacturers rarely had pattern names that make sense at least the way we collectors define patterns today. Pattern names used to be all over the map often with no sense or consistency.

Most likely for that knife, the pattern name and packaging design were done by a Kmart employee with zero knife knowledge, just plucking names that sounded good out of thin air in the rush to design the package and get the knives ordered and out to the stores.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Great threads and information.......makes me miss BonfireBob whenever I read a thread like this as I'm sure he could set us all straight
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great info!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
B.Mauser

Post by B.Mauser »

philco wrote:I've learned something from this post. I've always liked the Anvil line of knives but didn't realize they had "Sharp" cousins.
Thanks for posting this info.
That's great Phil. You are very welcome. :)

knifeaholic wrote:
B.Mauser wrote:You are welcome Mike.

Great info about the Sharp USA knives!! I remember the Sharp Japan knives, had forgotten about the Sharp USA.

On the naming of the pattern, especially in the days prior to knife collecting, manufacturers rarely had pattern names that make sense at least the way we collectors define patterns today. Pattern names used to be all over the map often with no sense or consistency.

Most likely for that knife, the pattern name and packaging design were done by a Kmart employee with zero knife knowledge, just plucking names that sounded good out of thin air in the rush to design the package and get the knives ordered and out to the stores.

Hi Steve! Nice to see you, I always enjoy your input. I'm happy I was able to remind you of these.

And thank you for explaining that to me. You hit the nail on the head, Kmart was behind the name, not Colonial! That makes so much sense now that I look at the package.

::tu::

bestgear wrote:Great threads and information.......makes me miss BonfireBob whenever I read a thread like this as I'm sure he could set us all straight
Hi bestgear. Yes I sure wish he was still here as well. I'm happy you enjoyed this post. :)

TripleF wrote:Great info!! ::tu::
Thanks Scott! I am on a mission to document everything I can about Colonial. ::tu::
Brian

JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I was in the auto dept. at Kmart and then mechanic back in late 70s-early 80s. They turned me down for sporting dept manager. :x wish I grabbed some knives, I guess. Great times and I made em a fortune. actually mounted more new tires than anyone on the East coast.Pretty good but I only did tires half the day.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I found a couple on Ebay fairly cheap. Would have never looked at them twice without reading this thread. Surprised they were made by Colonial. But the blades are exactly like my Anvil and Old Cutler. Mine say 270 on the tang. 3 3/8 in long closed.
Attachments
DSC_3863.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 pm I found a couple on Ebay fairly cheap. Would have never looked at them twice without reading this thread. Surprised they were made by Colonial. But the blades are exactly like my Anvil and Old Cutler. Mine say 270 on the tang. 3 3/8 in long closed.
Nice pieces Nick ::tu::
Thanks for brining this old thread back to life, very interesting read, learned a few new things ::handshake::
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:09 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 pm I found a couple on Ebay fairly cheap. Would have never looked at them twice without reading this thread. Surprised they were made by Colonial. But the blades are exactly like my Anvil and Old Cutler. Mine say 270 on the tang. 3 3/8 in long closed.
Thanks for brining this old thread back to life, very interesting read, learned a few new things ::handshake::
It's kinda lonely in the Colonial forum
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 am
Here’s a couple that dug out while down in the shop , there all Colonials, , a Anvil in the mix . Might have a few more ,will look . If your interested in seeing any of them , will shoot a few pics out in the next few days
Attachments
9BCDE9AB-38FA-4FF3-8CA6-3880C944D58E.jpeg
A887E657-3C3A-4974-87F6-BC30C8F57549.jpeg
3AA5A41D-B49E-4DCD-B3DC-258C2038E336.jpeg
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 am

Here’s a couple that dug out while down in the shop , there all Colonials, , a Anvil in the mix . Might have a few more ,will look . If your interested in seeing any of them , will shoot a few pics out in the next few days
I don't know that durn madmarco has got me lookin at Moki knives now---gotta get off this forum
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:45 am

I don't know that durn madmarco has got me lookin at Moki knives now---gotta get off this forum
Yep, bad influences we are around here , there’s just a lot of nice stuff ,for everyone . Moki,They are a nice piece of Cutlery and you only live once. And ,yes ,we can Blame Mark ,
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Good looking Sharps Nick. Colonial was around so long, that they have a wide variety to choose from. I also have several, and really like the Anvils.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Here’s a couple that dug out while down in the shop ,
[/quote]

Nice group JP. Gotta love those Anvils.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:02 am
Good looking Sharps Nick. Colonial was around so long, that they have a wide variety to choose from. I also have several, and really like the Anvils.
Thanks Smitty, I like the anvils a little better too.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”