Old Cutler

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Cutler

Post by doglegg »

It's yours. If you are happy with it that is what matters. I have several 72's that I'm sure no one else would want. But they are mine and I like them. Enjoy your knife and thanks for sharing. ::nod::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

CluelessNick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:26 pm I'm gonna post this here, don't know if anyone will see it but I was wondering if someone might have any idea about this knife. In my new 2 month long quest to buy every Colonial Old Cutler knife in the world I came across this knife on Ebay. Probably paid way too much, ( ok I'll tell 50.00 ) but the RAP Cutler hooked me. It was sold to me as a factory second with all defects in full view but I still like it. Do you think it is really one of Bonfire Bob's knives and is it really a stag handle? It has the misdrilled pin hole and they actually bent the spey blade to make it fit in the pocket. Not crinked it like normal but actually bent the blade. It all looks pretty sloppy work to me. One side of the handle is a lot fatter than the other but it feels great in hand. Any opinions? Don't sugar coat it. I'm new at this stuff and am sure to screw up now and then.
Looks like real stag to me.
Bob was the one responsible for the Old Cutler series.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:26 pm I'm gonna post this here, don't know if anyone will see it but I was wondering if someone might have any idea about this knife. In my new 2 month long quest to buy every Colonial Old Cutler knife in the world I came across this knife on Ebay. Probably paid way too much, ( ok I'll tell 50.00 ) but the RAP Cutler hooked me. It was sold to me as a factory second with all defects in full view but I still like it. Do you think it is really one of Bonfire Bob's knives and is it really a stag handle? It has the misdrilled pin hole and they actually bent the spey blade to make it fit in the pocket. Not crinked it like normal but actually bent the blade. It all looks pretty sloppy work to me. One side of the handle is a lot fatter than the other but it feels great in hand. Any opinions? Don't sugar coat it. I'm new at this stuff and am sure to screw up now and then.
Hey Nick ,that’s a neat piece. Bonfire Bob has his stamp on it and that’s cool in itself. Believe Bob and Triple F were very good friends, he maybe able to tell you more about RAP. IRS cool that your interested in Colonial/ old Cutler ,etc. Have only the one still that posted last fall. If your interested in it shoot me a pm, don’t have much in it , it’s tight ,snappy and clean .
Thanks for keeping this thread active. Colonial is a big part of Cutlery history .
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:14 pm
Hey Nick ,that’s a neat piece. Bonfire Bob has his stamp on it and that’s cool in itself. Believe Bob and Triple F were very good friends, he maybe able to tell you more about RAP. IRS cool that your interested in Colonial/ old Cutler ,etc. Have only the one still that posted last fall. If your interested in it shoot me a pm, don’t have much in it , it’s tight ,snappy and clean .
Thanks for keeping this thread active. Colonial is a big part of Cutlery history .
Hey JP, was that a yellow handle one you had. I remember you had it in a pile of knives but can't remember what it looked like. Too lazy to hunt it right now. thanks--Nick
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

edge213 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm
Thanks edge , I still can't tell stag or bone from plastic. but I still like it-- Reading this forum with Bob posting is the only reason I bought it --Nick
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

doglegg wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:22 pm It's yours. If you are happy with it that is what matters. I have several 72's that I'm sure no one else would want. But they are mine and I like them. Enjoy your knife and thanks for sharing. ::nod::
yeah I think most all my knives fall in this category--Thanks--Nick
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Correction: In Bob's book he states the majority of the knives he worked on were Old Cutler.
The line he was responsible for is "R.A.P. Cutler Quality Knives".

If your interested in Colonial you should try to find a copy of Bob's book.
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Here it is.
Attachments
20210206_115142.jpg
David
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm
Hey JP, was that a yellow handle one you had. I remember you had it in a pile of knives but can't remember what it looked like. Too lazy to hunt it right now. thanks--Nick
Here’s s a pic as of today, now that it’s in hand, don’t think it’s ever been resharpened. Looks like all 3 blades are as from factory.
Attachments
7B533C47-4E1F-4DB0-BC2D-D94B088E606C.jpeg
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Here’s s a pic as of today, now that it’s in hand, don’t think it’s ever been resharpened. Looks like all 3 blades are as from factory.
Sure I'd be interested. Got a yellow handle jack that I carry but heck I don't have a yellow handle stockman so I must need it huh?
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

CluelessNick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Sure I'd be interested. Got a yellow handle jack that I carry but heck I don't have a yellow handle stockman so I must need it huh?
I think I sent you a PM--maybe
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Got your pm, so that did work,sent you a pm . Let me know you got it,but I believe your now pm savvy.
Will be gone for a bit , catch you later .
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

edge213 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:51 pm

Correction: In Bob's book he states the majority of the knives he worked on were Old Cutler.
The line he was responsible for is "R.A.P. Cutler Quality Knives".

If your interested in Colonial you should try to find a copy of Bob's book.
Thanks Edge, I've read most o Bonfire Bob's posts here and elsewhere but I was a little late to the party to get a book. I'll keep an eye out though. thanks--Nick
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great looking knives everyone! ::tu:: I have one Old Cutler and I really like it. ::tu:: Hope I can find more of them. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20200819_202228.jpg
IMG_20200819_202205.jpg
IMG_20200819_202437.jpg
IMG_20200819_202403.jpg
IMG_20200819_202335.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

That’s a nice ,clean looking OC there Tom ! They’re a well built knife,in a decent price range . Don’t see them out there much in as good a shape , believe the average guy used his up if they had them. That’s what they are made for .
Take care my friend, stay warm ! ::handshake::
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TPK wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 pm Great looking knives everyone! ::tu:: I have one Old Cutler and I really like it. ::tu:: Hope I can find more of them. ::tu::
You have a knice one Tom. ::nod:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:24 pm That’s a nice ,clean looking OC there Tom ! They’re a well built knife,in a decent price range . Don’t see them out there much in as good a shape , believe the average guy used his up if they had them. That’s what they are made for .
Take care my friend, stay warm ! ::handshake::
That's what they were made for. ::nod::

But..., now that they no longer make them, it is my responsibility to keep & protect this one for the next generation of knife collecting enthusiasts. :mrgreen: I know, crazy way of thinking. ::dang:: In the US, these may still be "around" and "findable" to some extent. Finding one in this condition in Germany is a bit like winning $500 on a scratch off ticket. It can be done, but it don't happen every day. ::nod:: Take Purina knives for example, I have been collecting knives for two years now and have yet to find one in Germany. :(

I am hoping that my son Shane or maybe a future grandchild will become interested in having my knife collection and continue to build on what I have started. Then it would be nice if I had some really sweet, hard to find stuff in it like this Old Cutler that I could pass along to them. ::hmm:: Of course, that's a long ways off & who knows if I will ever live to see a second generation "knife nut" in my blood line but only time will tell. ::hmm::

Another thing I can say is, the better & better my collection gets, the more and more joy 🎈 it brings me to look at it. :D I know it's crazy to be crazy about knives but it wasn't planned, it just happend. ::shrug::
Darn "Purina" knives got me addicted! ::huff:: :x Wish I had more of em! :lol:

TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:13 am
TPK wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 pm Great looking knives everyone! ::tu:: I have one Old Cutler and I really like it. ::tu:: Hope I can find more of them. ::tu::
You have a knice one Tom. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thanks Floyd! ::handshake:: That's the problem though! It's just in too nice a shape to EDC it. ::facepalm:: :lol:

Wish I could get over that type of thinking about knives. ::hmm:: Knives should always be sold in sets of two. One for useing & one for looking. ::nod:: :lol:

CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Here is an Old Cutler stockman with an unusual serrated sheepsfoot blade. I'm new at this but have browsed a lot of knives recently and this is the only one I've seen like that.Of course I bought it. It's not like today's serrations but more like little saw teeth.
Attachments
DSC_3876.JPG
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I really like this color handle. Mine has advertising on it. nice knife.
TPK

Post by TPK »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:16 pm Here is an Old Cutler stockman with an unusual serrated sheepsfoot blade. I'm new at this but have browsed a lot of knives recently and this is the only one I've seen like that.Of course I bought it. It's not like today's serrations but more like little saw teeth.
Nice! I like it! ::tu:: ::nod:: And those Lansky's are really something else aren't they. ::tu:: ::nod::

TPK

Post by TPK »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:21 pm
I really like this color handle. Mine has advertising on it. nice knife.
Thanks Buddy! Appreciate it! ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:16 pm Here is an Old Cutler stockman with an unusual serrated sheepsfoot blade. I'm new at this but have browsed a lot of knives recently and this is the only one I've seen like that.Of course I bought it. It's not like today's serrations but more like little saw teeth.
Nice pick up there Nick ::tu::
Haven’t seen that serration on a short sheepsfoot before . Have you done any research on it?
Thanks for posting. Stay warm .
JP
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ripster wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:29 pm
Haven’t seen that serration on a short sheepsfoot before . Have you done any research on it?
I've never seen that either. ::hmm::

CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:29 pm
I've searched around on the net some but most people seem to think that with Colonial you never know what they might have done. Just Colonial being Colonial looks like

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”