Anyone know about these knives...please

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Anyone know about these knives...please

Post by CluelessNick »

I have these 2 wooden handled Colonial Prov. RI tang stamped knives. I am assuming they were made by the new Colonial Knife Company. They sure don't look or feel like any of the old colonial knives. They both have solid , thick bolsters with pivot pins just barely visible but the tangs have the old style stamp and they both have the same blades as some of my old colonials. Also the barlow has the Old Cutler etch on the blade. Did the new company make these when they first started back up using old parts? They are nice knives but are confusing to me. Does anyone have an idea? Does anyone even care? Thanks--Nick
Attachments
DSC_4101.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone know about these knives...please

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:06 pm I have these 2 wooden handled Colonial Prov. RI tang stamped knives. I am assuming they were made by the new Colonial Knife Company. They sure don't look or feel like any of the old colonial knives. They both have solid , thick bolsters with pivot pins just barely visible but the tangs have the old style stamp and they both have the same blades as some of my old colonials. Also the barlow has the Old Cutler etch on the blade. Did the new company make these when they first started back up using old parts? They are nice knives but are confusing to me. Does anyone have an idea? Does anyone even care? Thanks--Nick
Nick, don’t have any answers for you, but a few questions? What does the “ new” Colonial stamp look like ,and is there more than one . Have had these 2 for a few years and only know there newer and fairly well built . There’s 2 different stamps in the pic, would they both be from same period within the newer Colonial brand(s) ? Could you show which old style stamps your referencing ,can’t quite make it out in your pic.
Did Colonial keep the Old Cutler ,and was it Anvil and Ranger brand that the old Co. Had Control of?
So Nick my friend, am absolutely no help, but find it interesting ! ::tu::
Attachments
147CEA27-10AB-4C00-B745-26E132AFE902.jpeg
JP
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I would say they are from the original Colonial.
1980s - 1990s.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:06 pm I have these 2 wooden handled Colonial Prov. RI tang stamped knives. I am assuming they were made by the new Colonial Knife Company. They sure don't look or feel like any of the old colonial knives. They both have solid , thick bolsters with pivot pins just barely visible but the tangs have the old style stamp and they both have the same blades as some of my old colonials. Also the barlow has the Old Cutler etch on the blade. Did the new company make these when they first started back up using old parts? They are nice knives but are confusing to me. Does anyone have an idea? Does anyone even care? Thanks--Nick
Nick, don’t have any answers for you, but a few questions? What does the “ new” Colonial stamp look like ,and is there more than one . Have had these 2 for a few years and only know there newer and fairly well built . There’s 2 different stamps in the pic, would they both be from same period within the newer Colonial brand(s) ? Could you show which old style stamps your referencing ,can’t quite make it out in your pic.
Did Colonial keep the Old Cutler ,and was it Anvil and Ranger brand that the old Co. Had Control of?
So Nick my friend, am absolutely no help, but find it interesting ! ::tu::
Hey JP, the tang stamps are just like the one on that barlow you have there. Not like the curved Colonial stamp that you see on some other newer Colonials. Plus both have through the bolster pins which I don't think the old colonial did after they started using press on bolsters. It's all very confusing--LOL--I stole this photo from Smitty, it shows the new Colonial tang stamp but mine look like your barlow. by the way you have incoming this week ,will mail tomorrow.
Attachments
Col Barlow_b.png
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:17 pm I would say they are from the original Colonial.
1980s - 1990s.
Thanks edge but if you had one in your hand you might change your mind, world of difference.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 am
edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:17 pm I would say they are from the original Colonial.
1980s - 1990s.
Thanks edge but if you had one in your hand you might change your mind, world of difference.
Copy that.
I defer to you my friend ::tu::
David
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

They are very well built. Is this the Colonial that Steve P. Started up some years ago now . The few that I have left are solid handles, hold a good edge and nice half stops.
Thanks for info everyone!
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

edge213 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:02 am
1980s - 1990s.
Copy that.
Sorry, not trying to be smart about it. I appreciate your opinion. It's just that these 2 knives are so different from my older colonials and yet have some things in common with them that I thought I would see if anyone knew about them.---thanks--Nick
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Nick, check this link out:

https://myfamilybusinessbook.wordpress. ... ies-11983/

From the boss himself.

Now those original Old Cutlers had an "Old Cutler" tang stamp. so yours is likely a newer version possibly made elsewhere. Colonial outsourced a quite a bit near the end.

Eric
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:43 am
edge213 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:02 am

Copy that.
Sorry, not trying to be smart about it. I appreciate your opinion. It's just that these 2 knives are so different from my older colonials and yet have some things in common with them that I thought I would see if anyone knew about them.---thanks--Nick

No need for apologies. I did not think you were being smart about it.
I was only referring that you had the knives in hand so you would obviously have a better feel for them.
I was basing my opinion on the pictures alone. ::handshake::
David
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

ea42 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:20 am Nick, check this link out:

https://myfamilybusinessbook.wordpress. ... ies-11983/

From the boss himself.

Now those original Old Cutlers had an "Old Cutler" tang stamp. so yours is likely a newer version possibly made elsewhere. Colonial outsourced a quite a bit near the end.

Eric
Thanks Eric

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”