Colonial appreciation thread...

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Eelephant

Colonial appreciation thread...

Post by Eelephant »

Ok, so, yes, Colonial has produced a lot of trash over the years, but some halfway decent stuff as well. Pulled all mine out the other day, for the fun of it, and thought I’d share. I didn’t include the mini’s or gentleman’s, far too lazy to go through them with the magnifying glass to identify the tang stamp. Haha, my eyes ain’t what they used to be! Anyway, here’s the whole shebang, with some of the nicer ones pulled out...
Attachments
0393E155-6455-4ECC-A7CF-9478ABE8FAE3.jpeg
BDFD0323-CB73-420D-AD89-F8E93F5F5230.jpeg
49302A54-A5FA-47DF-8B91-B930147993EB.jpeg
AE0EFBF3-5F06-4CEA-AACD-54982833D2E3.jpeg
908BA71A-F301-416B-80B7-5DCFE45714FB.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Colonial appreciation thread...

Post by doglegg »

Quite a collection.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Eelephant wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:02 pm Ok.....
Maybe they should be posted in the Colonial forum also. ::shrug::
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... m.php?f=87
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Eelephant

Post by Eelephant »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm
Thank you. Trying to figure out how to delete.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Eelephant wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:02 pm Ok, so, yes, Colonial has produced a lot of trash over the years, but some halfway decent stuff as well. Pulled all mine out the other day, for the fun of it, and thought I’d share. I didn’t include the mini’s or gentleman’s, far too lazy to go through them with the magnifying glass to identify the tang stamp. Haha, my eyes ain’t what they used to be! Anyway, here’s the whole shebang, with some of the nicer ones pulled out...
Nice collection. A good sharp knife is all you need, and those Colonial as well as Imperial have some good steel from what I gather. Thanks for taking the time to post them for everyone!! :)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Eelephant wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:01 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm
Thank you. Trying to figure out how to delete.
You can’t delete a post after someone has posted a reply to it. One of the site admins can delete it or move it for you but I wouldn't worry about it. Just make another post in the appropriate thread. For future reference, browse the forum home page https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/ for sub-forums regarding specific brands. You can also use the keyword ”Search” capability found under Quicklinks on the top left of your original post to find other related posts or threads that might be an appropriate place to put a post.

Welcome to AAPK. Poke around, explore, you can’t break anything (at least I never have)! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

OP thread moved ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

"Trash" is too harsh. Colonial was the Nash-Rambler, (If anybody remembers them!), of the knife world. Good enough for the money and useful. Just right for a guy who needed a knife and only had a buck or two to spend. And, if you lost a Catt or KA BAR it was a disaster but a good ole replacement Colonial
was waiting on the card at the drugstore, gas station, or bait store. Nice collection. ::tu:: Thanks for showing. J.O'.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

This is the only Colonial I have but I absolutely love it!
It reminds me of when Pop would buy one for me at the general store.
I think they were around a dollar. Great memories! ::tu::
Attachments
17_EyjU9R_SHMPkCVUYiyjKPU_dQXDoXb.jpg
Tim
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Colonial defintely made some great user knives. I have had quite a few over the years, and the steel takes a good edge. One particular two blade jack was my go to into my early teens and got alot of outdoor use. The handle got cracked and shrunk up a bit, but it kept right on cutting.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Good knives, in my opinion. Some were made by less expensive processes (bolsters that snapped in place), but with good blade steel. That kept them in business long after many "better" cutlery companies went out of business. The knife that a man can afford is always better to have than the one he can only dream of affording
I carried an Ambassador made by them that was considered a cheap advertising knife and loved how light it felt in my pocket. But my daughter wanted it, so I gave it up. And I still miss it!
I have an Old Cutler Stockman made by Colonial that is as good as any Case made in the same era, in my opinion.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Eelephant

Post by Eelephant »

Reverand wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:51 am Good knives, in my opinion. Some were made by less expensive processes (bolsters that snapped in place), but with good blade steel. That kept them in business long after many "better" cutlery companies went out of business. The knife that a man can afford is always better to have than the one he can only dream of affording
I carried an Ambassador made by them that was considered a cheap advertising knife and loved how light it felt in my pocket. But my daughter wanted it, so I gave it up. And I still miss it!
I have an Old Cutler Stockman made by Colonial that is as good as any Case made in the same era, in my opinion.
Haha... cool, man. Every time my daughter comes home from college, she heads straight for the stash to pick out a new knife or two. Hurts to see them go, but cool that my daughter thinks it’s fun.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”