Kershaw Leeks

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
tjmurphy

Re: Kershaw Leeks

Post by tjmurphy »

OK, thanks Gino ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Those/these are cool knives, I tried the black one out at "World Of Walls" before I scored one on eRip for 25 bucks. $37 is not a bad price either.
Has anyone here had one apart yet? It looks simple enough, but sometimes it does not work out that way.

I like the thickest of their Zing, but it does not have the SpeedSafe and it sure is smooth opening on this Leek.
Thinking about doing the modify thing or at least on one side to beef it up a bit. It is going to be a workin' knife.

First modern folder I have been impressed with in some time.

9ball :)
Attachments
Kershaw Zing & Leek
Kershaw Zing & Leek
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The listing for the Leek I bought off eBay had a picture of a Ken Onion but the knife I received is not Ken Onion. It doesn't bother me because I didn't see the Ken Onion logo before I bought and I really like the knife. The lady who sold the knife to me said Ken Onion is no longer designing knives for Kershaw and they are taking his name off all the current production. Anyone else hear that?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
9ball

Post by 9ball »

jerryd6818

I did the research on the one I got on Kershaw's site and he was listed there about 3 or 4 days before Christmas 2010. To be honest; until now I never knew there was a difference other than the name.

Some place I read that he looked them over before they left the factory, I just assumed he looked them all over since he was the designer ::shrug::

jands40

Post by jands40 »

I had a couple of Kershaw leeks, one had stainless frame/handle. One had aluminum handles and was lighter. Both had the Sandvik steel. Biggest difference was that the stainless one was a framelock and the aluminum was a linerlock. If I were looking for a leek, I think I would look for one with Sandvik steel rather than 440A steel. I sold the aluminum one not because I liked it less but because I gave the buyer a choice of the 2. I haven't used the leek but love the the design.
Jerry
justold52

Post by justold52 »

I am a big fan of the Kershaw 1620 Rainbow.

I do want this pocket clip if any one has one for sale Please PM me.
Not the knife just the clip with Snap-On.

Ken
Attachments
KER1440.jpeg
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

Prices on Leeks vary because they are not all the same. For instance, this one:
HPIM1160.JPG
HPIM1161.JPG
Stone washed S30V blade and black G10 handle. :mrgreen:
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

oldblinddog wrote:Prices on Leeks vary because they are not all the same. For instance, this one:
HPIM1160.JPG
HPIM1161.JPG
Stone washed S30V blade and black G10 handle. :mrgreen:
Can you expand on that. When I said that the price ranges were crazy I was referring to prices of the same model, in this case 1660Pink. Just did an ebay search and they range from $34 - $66, same? knife. I realize that the price can vary dependent on materials of construction. Just trying to learn a little something today.

oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

Well, that is crazy if those are prices for the same model. The $34 for the pink is pretty low. I don't see how the seller is making much on it. I guess he is hoping it gets bid up a little. $38-40 would still be a good price on that one. A good price on the 1660G10 is about $80. That difference is what I was refering to, but I see your point.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

This is the knife that I bought. It is signed? Ken Onion.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Here are the Pinks available on eBay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Here's the suggest retail
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdet ... nd=kershaw

oldblinddog

Post by oldblinddog »

That's a lot of variation. There is quite a bit of variation in the specs that are posted as well.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Wow! I never realized that there were so many different specs for the blade and handle combination. All are 1660Pink. Reckon why? Mis-prints? You would think that if Kershaw had that many different specs they would give the knife another model number, or at least some identifying suffix.

oldblinddog

Post by oldblinddog »

I think a lot of that can be attributed to carelessness when the seller creates the ad. He is just cutting and pasting from other ads. One of the ads I saw showed the closed length as 2 7/8" and a blade length of under 2". I saw two different sandvik steels mentioned. I can't tell if that is because some are different or that is another cut and paste error. Just another reason not to deal with ebay if you don't have to. I don't see how those guys at the low prices are making any money after paying all the fees to ebay and it's subsidiary, paypal. They have to be in the hole even if they got a tremendous deal when they bought the knives!
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I've sent an e-mail to Kershaw asking about all the different specs. Will post their reply if they answer.

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

9ball

Post by 9ball »

tjmurphy

That is not a photo of a Leek the seller has with his BIN description.
Reckon they know?

9ball :lol:
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I was wondering that. Thought that maybe just the angle of the photo.

9ball

Post by 9ball »

Not that it really matters, I was just reffering to what oldblinddog was saying. I found the prices all over the place also and some of these Kershaws listed were not even on Kershaw website, for instance there is one with a rainbow trout and another with an American flag. I saw alot of cutting and pasting going on also with sellers moving volume of inventory/knives (some less than wholesale) and cannot see how these folks can make a buck unless it is on the high end stuff. But that another tale. When I was looking for my Leek I found that they usually sell for less that 25 on Tuesday nights. That is what and when I set my sniper program to bid.
After it was over my high bid was $23.50 + $2.95 S&H. My is the 1660ST. USA made(?), but box/paperwork "Printed in China" ::paranoid::

On watch/mission today so my spelling may be a little off.

Later,
oldblinddog

Post by oldblinddog »

The specs say it is a leek but the knife pictured is a scallion. ::shrug::

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”