Advice please on Kershaw 1050 Folding Field Knife....

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
sistasquirrel

Advice please on Kershaw 1050 Folding Field Knife....

Post by sistasquirrel »

Gidday from the Bushdocta Downunda, logged in on the missus' page cause I forgot my password. DOH!!! ::dang::
I've been researching the Kershaw 1050 folding field knife lately, as I remember them from years ago as a top shelf folder. I've been outbid on a couple of them on fleabay in used but fine condition at around about $130 USD. I have noticed that I can buy them straight off online dealer sites new for much the same price, and this got wondering if, like Puma knives, there is a difference in quality between the earlier and more modern models. If so, is there a tang stamp change or something similar to indicate this? Does Hattori still make these knives? Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers from the Bushdocta... ::tu::
The End Of Time Is Merely The Start Of Something New
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Advice please on Kershaw 1050 Folding Field Knife....

Post by 1967redrider »

sistasquirrel, I looked all over the literature and box that came with mine and cannot locate any dates. But here's a couple shots for comparison. Hope they help!

I will say one thing for sure, this knife really feels good in my hand!
Attachments
Kershaw 1050
Kershaw 1050
Kershaw tang stamp (front)
Kershaw tang stamp (front)
Kershaw tang stamp (back)
Kershaw tang stamp (back)
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
sistasquirrel

Post by sistasquirrel »

Gidday Red, thanks for your trouble. I think the one we are looking at has that same tang stamp. I was only suspicious cause I heard that Kershaw were making them in Taiwan now, but yours clearly says Japan so that's good enough for me. I think I'll try and grab it seeing it fits so well in your hand, and looks like a fine blade!!! Cheers.....
The End Of Time Is Merely The Start Of Something New
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Kershaw, like Buck, Spyderco, etc., is having knives
made in different countries. Quite probable some are
made in taiwan. I have 3 spyderco knives, one made
in USA, one in japan, one in china(free)
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”