Kershaw Skyline Knife Review - Mental Stranglehold

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Kershaw Skyline Knife Review - Mental Stranglehold

Post by TripleF »

Video, text and pics on my blog if interested:
http://pocketknivesblog.com/kershaw-sky ... anglehold/

Text portion only:

Kershaw Skyline Knife Review

Steel Sahlute to the stellar steel readers of this blog! Hooooooo Haaaaaaaa! Sahhhhhhhhhhhhhhlute!

* * Steel Sahlute Sub Notes * *
So, here I am closing in on the conclusion of my selection as one of the official knife reviewers for Kershaw Knives for 2012, and the Kershaw Skyline is before me! Keep in mind, I asked to be a reviewer for Kershaw and when one is granted this wish knowing there are only 10 reviewers selected per year, the tendency to provide a favorable review is a subliminal obligation. At least it is in my mind. However, I try and conduct each review as if I purchased the knife for my own use, not concerned with what the results will be or if the review will shed a dark cloud on my relationship with that company.
So, here we go, down the slippery steel slope of knife reviews!
Details:
Made in the USA
Flip open (not assisted)
Linerlock (Actually the thumb studs are also locking devices).
Steel: Sandvik 14C28N, bead-blasted finish
Handle: Textured black G-10
Blade Length: 3-1/8 in. (7.9 cm)
Closed Length: 4-1/4 in. (10.8 cm)
Overall Length: 7 3/8 in. (18.7 cm)
Weight: 2.3 oz.
Carry: Reversible pocket clip for tip up or tip down carry on pocket or belt.

TripleF – Fit, Finish, and Functionality: 9.0
The knife is put together very well, as you would expect since it’s made in the U.S.A. It’s light (only 2.3 opunces) and very, very easy to carry. I barely knew it was clipped on my pocket.
Let me through this stellar steel info in here before I forget. I like this Sandvik steel. Ohhhhh buddy. I cut some stuff and have yet to re-sharpen ‘er. See the pic of the pile of cardboard? Yeah. All boxes I cut with the Kershaw Skyline. Then I cut a t-shirt into rag-size portions. Then, I cut paper. Beauty.

Accessibility:8.1
Here’s the BEEF! Wanna know “Where’s the BEEF?” Right here!
The flipper bothers me. Right from the outset I expected this knife to operate like the Ken Onion SpeedSafe Assisted Open knife …..Wuhhhhhhtish! NOT!
Yeah, the flipper IS NOT assisted open, it’s completely manual. Still, to this day when I attempt to open the knife, it sometimes stops half way because I don’t hit the flipper hard enough. And to me……that’s the sanffoou. Frankly, this opening style puts me in a MENTAL STANGLEHOLD!
I know other guys love this knife. You can see review, after review, after review on YouTube. Guys love it.
It’s the flipper opening system that puts a mental knot of hesitation in my mind when I open ‘er. Unlike any other knife, the opening system causes me to focus and think before proceeding.
The clip is perfect. Quite possibly the best clip made by Kershaw, IMHO. On and off the pocket with little resistance. Tip up or tip down, your choice.

The linerlock works perfectly.
Can I toss in a little side note here? One knever fully appreciates the flawless functioning liner or frame lock until they run across one that requires two hands, like when setting a bear trap, to engage it. I now am aware of this fact since ANOTHER (not the Skyline) knife has arrived for review that dismantled my thumb when trying to push down the framelock to close. *$&%^#&$%(

Collectibility: 8.0
Seriously, unless there is limited version or limited production colors, I don’t see much value in collecting and saving these knives. I am convinced these are more of a “user” knife as opposed to a collectible, kind of like the Schrade Old Timer’s!

OASSS (Overall Steel Sahlut Score) 8.2 Steel Sahlutes!

Stay steel tuned!!
Scott
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Cutty

Re: Kershaw Skyline Knife Review - Mental Stranglehold

Post by Cutty »

Nice review as always Scott ::tu::

I agree, it's really hard to put it in reverse now that the speedsafe system is here. Have you handled a Zero Tolerance with the speedsafe sys.???? Either way maybe they will send you one for review. If they do you better raise your steel salute level to defcon 1. ::nod::

My bad ......it looks like you already have maybe.......... ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks Cutty!

Hmmmmmm.......defcon 1? I knew there was another steel universe to bend the air!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I read the instructions where it said you're supposed to flip the blade out with the projection on the back of the blade while giving your hand a little wrist & flip action. Blah. I did that but still don't like it. I have a Kershaw Zing with the flipper. It works a little better. Maybe the pivot screw on my Skyline is a skosh bit too tight. ::shrug:: I have the tools. I'll have to try loosening it. Hate to break the threadlocker loose though. ::hmm:: Maybe a little Quick Release (thank you Scott).

One more thing. The G-10 handles are too rough for my delicate little hands.

Once you get hooked on SpeedSafe, I don't think it's possible to be satisfied with anything but AO.

One thing I do like about my Skyline. Did I mention it's orange?
Attachments
Kershaw Skyline 1760OR - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ConservativeKnives

Post by ConservativeKnives »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_tOZp03KQ

There's a vid I made for you Scott. Hopefully it can help you open your skylines. Once you get it down, you don't even have to think about it, and it will become very fun :lol:
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Scott:CKis rightwhen ya get the hang of it there fun my favorite flippers areBuck Vavtage and CKT m16 but not a fan of auto locks
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”