First & Second Generation Kershaws

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

First & Second Generation Kershaws

Post by orvet »

For all you Kershaw fans, I thought you might like to see a couple I picked up recently.
Kershaw DWO 1st & 2nd generation.jpg

The top knife on this picture has the KERSHAW/OREGON USA tang stamp. I think f this knife as the first generation DWO, which came out about 1985.This is the same stamp that appears on the DWO I bought in 1985/86. I am pretty sure this is the first tang stamp used in the DWO series as well as the other early knives in the Officer Ranch series. These knives were made with AUS8A steel. At some point in time (I would guess in the late 1990s or around 2000, Kershaw switched a lot of their models to AUS6 steel, which IMO, does not hold an edge nearly as well as the AUS8A.
The pile side stamp on this knife is: 3000/JAPAN
DWO-OR c 2.jpg

The bottom knife in this picture is what I consider the second generation DWO. This was made after Kai Cutlery bought Kershaw and they began to oversee more of the operations of Kershaw in the USA. The tang stamp on this knife is stamped; KERSHAW/D.W.O. and has, “U.S Pat. 4741106” stamped on the mark side of the lock bar; which is not on the first generation DWO. The pile side tang stamp is the same as the first generation; 3000/Japan.
When I bought this knife it came with the papers shown in the picture below.
Kershaw DWO circa 1990 d.jpg
One tells the story of Delley Wade Officer; the other is a mini Kershaw catalog with a copyright date of 1990. I think that the 1990 date is about right for the knife. I think this knife is also AUS8A and not the later AUS6 steel.

I just thought you guys might enjoy seeing a comparison of the two earliest Kershaw tang stamps.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
junebug

Re: First & Second Generation Kershaws

Post by junebug »

VERY COOL,DALE!!

JUST GAVE A USED ONE TO MA COUSIN SUNDAY ::tu::
COOL LIL FOLDERS....ONCE THEY LEARN HOW TA CLOSE EM :mrgreen:
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

They get easier to close as the knife gets broke in, and as you learn exactly where to press. :mrgreen:
The lock release is not easy to see or hit squarly with part of the Co-Polymer handle covering it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
junebug

Post by junebug »

EXACT-A-TACT-A-LY :shock: :mrgreen:

the guy i bought if from for .25cents, thought it was BROKE/STUCK OPEN....LOLOLOL
i paid......closed her up,and walked to ma car...lololol

everyone i showed it to...and even my cousin who now owns it, could not figure out how to close it and had to ask me...lolololololol

A TRICK KNIFE THAT IS NOT A TRICK KNIFE.... ::super_happy::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”