Unfair reviews at Knife Center!

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
aux80

Unfair reviews at Knife Center!

Post by aux80 »

I just bought a Nura after watching some positive reviews on YouTube. I like it a lot. It's on sale. I only paid about $20. I figure I can beat it up without too much guilt later on. Looks like it could take it, seems sturdy enough.

So I looked at the reviews, and some of them are really stupid. One guy gave it an abysmal rating because it doesn't have assisted opening. It says multiple times in the description that it is a manual knife. It even says, "not mechanically assisted." The guy basically gave it a poor ranking because he couldn't be bothered to read the description of what he was purchasing. It's ironic though, because this thing opens as smooth as butter. I have assisted flippers that are more difficult to open.

Another guy complained that it only has one pocket clip position, tip up. Again, it clearly states this in the description. Don't buy it if that is a deal breaker for you. It would be different if they advertised the knife as having a bunch of features it didn't have.

It would be a shame if anyone was turned away from this cool knife because of stupid reviewers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unfair reviews at Knife Center!

Post by philco »

I've found that reviews are marginally useful at best, for a variety of reasons.

While we're talking, what is the button on the butt end of the knife shown ? Looks like it slides up and down. Is it some sort of locking mechanism ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
aux80

Post by aux80 »

philco wrote:I've found that reviews are marginally useful at best, for a variety of reasons.

While we're talking, what is the button on the butt end of the knife shown ? Looks like it slides up and down. Is it some sort of locking mechanism ?
That's my bad. I should have posted more pics. The slide is for adjusting the pocket clip. You can mount it on either side.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Nice feature. Thanks for the reply. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree with Phil. Don't stress out over reviews. Some online reviews are moronic at best, but fortunately as you have pointed out, most reveal themselves readily. Sometimes when I read them I just shake my head and move on.

Looks like a good knife by the way.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Interesting topic, even though I'm replying to a thread that's a year old. I have found reviews to be rather invaluable, however, one must accept them with the proverbial grain of salt at times, as we all know that people like to complain to hear themselves complain. For instance, if I find a common complaint that could very well be an indicator of a problem with the item I'm interested in, then I will look for that issue and if it is a deal breaker, then back it goes.It could be anything, from electronics to chainsaws to snow blowers, right down to knives.

As an example I had noticed that a local car parts/hardware store had a knife that was on clearance from $52 DOWN TO $19.95. I read several reviews and watched you-tubes on it and found that even though a few people were satisfied with their purchase, quite a few more had complaints about the quality and they all seemed to agree on the issues. I said "what the heck, for 20 bucks I'll give it a try". Well, after the evening getting the thing loosened up enough to get the blade out, then I found all the complaints were valid, such as, the liner lock travelled over to the far side and stuck open requiring force to get the liner back over. I also found that even though the screws appeared to be torx, none of my driver bits would fit (t3-t20) and started to strip the heads not allowing me to adjust the pivot ay all. Speaking of which, the blade started to acquire pronounced horizontal play, and the blade then started to scrub against the far liner, wearing off the coating. That was just in a few hours of playing with it, let alone actually using the thing as a knife.
I then returned the knife back the next day and bought another knife (actually a combo pack) and no problems with either one.

So, in conclusion, I should have heeded the reviews, as all the problems were mentioned. I then just returned the knife back to the store and will likely never look at another of the wares of that particular knife company again.

Should have added that the knife was not a Kershaw but another company that has most of their "budget" knives made off shore.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I find about half of on-line reviews to be moronic. It can be very frustrating especially when it's obvious the author never read the directions for the product, used it improperly and then bad-mouths it because it didn't work as he thought it should. There's also the reviewer who obviously knows nothing at all about the product in general but feels we call need to have the benefit of his/her opinion.

On the other hand if you understand all this going in, some of them can be very entertaining. Sorta like watching the old Gong Show. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”