Pet peeve!

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Gobbleandgrunt

Pet peeve!

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

I really hate when a knife maker makes a knife with a colored scale, but only half of it is colored. Is it just me? Drives me nuts.
kootenay joe

Re: Pet peeve!

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree. It started a few years ago with handles of nice wood but with micarta for the front third. Since then i have seen all kinds of combination handles. It messes up the visual flow of the knife and adds nothing to make it a better knife.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I read somewhere that some knife makers sometimes do this for cost, not for artistic design. They will use a small piece of higher priced material so that they can say that it has an "abalone" or "mother of pearl" handle in the description. Or, they may use several smaller pieces joined together instead of a single piece. I suspect this is an example of that: http://www.roughriderknives.com/custom- ... rl-handle/ I think that knife would have looked better without the center stripe.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Since this is posted in the Kershaw Knife Forum, I'm curious if anyone has any examples of a Kershaw knife exhibiting this particularity (other than a customized model like a Yellowhorse or Santa Fe Stone Works mod)?

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

That's what I get for using the "New Posts" and not looking at the subforum area... :oops:

To make up for it, here's a pic of my latest acquisition, a Kershaw Indian Ford. I'm not saying this is a an example of the above - it's not - I just like it! I had previously purchased it's little brother, the Squaw Creek. The Indian Ford is considerably bigger!

I think Kershaw has discontinued these folders, and I think that is a shame. In my humble opinion, they are a perfect blend of traditional and modern. The lockback operates perfectly and the stainless/carbon fiber combo is modern yet elegant.
IMG_20180227_095102.jpg
IMG_20180227_095030.jpg
IMG_20180227_095303.jpg
And, you can find these knives brand new in the packaging for ~$10 + shipping. An amazing deal.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Gobbleandgrunt

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

9A25DDF0-07AA-4618-9247-2629DC3E9F84.png
Attachments
04A61227-59B4-40CC-AAD2-96DF3CBC05DA.png
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

If you want a knife like that to have colored handle scales on both sides, you should get the liner lock version, not the frame lock. Kershaw does make both styles of some patterns (such as the Leek).

~Q~

~Q~
Gobbleandgrunt

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

Oh I have several. I think that’s why the skyline is one of my favorites. I have a handful of leeks as well.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I've never been a big fan of the one-side-covered scale knives, either. It looks unbalanced to me...offends my classical sense of proportion and balance or something. Just doesn't look right. Although, to be honest, I prefer a frame lock over a liner lock...which is why all my Leeks are plain, un-scaled models.

I dig your Skylines, though...that orange one really pops.

~Q~

~Q~
eveled

Post by eveled »

I can't resist a good pet peeves thread. Funny to see what irks others. On a folder the only time I like multi material handles is if one of the materials is something that would be unusual in a large piece. Turquoise comes to mind.

On a fixed blade knife. It can be ok if it is a stacked handle on a hidden tang. Like a Randall with the stacked leather washers, but the red white and blue accent washers. Or the "trench art" knives with lucite and aluminum, (salvaged from a kamakazi before it was pushed into the ocean.)

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”