Kershaw 1050 blade snap

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
kydealspr0

Kershaw 1050 blade snap

Post by kydealspr0 »

I recently bought a beautiful Kershaw 1050 (Oregon USA by Kai Japan, 1050 on back). It's the first I've owned and I am very impressed with the ergonomics and quality of the build.

But when I opened the knife, then closed it, I noticed that about 1cm or less at the tip of the blade actually touches the inside spine/spring. I noticed it because when it "snapped" close, it sounded louder than usual. I know that these knives have quite a snap, but when I looked, it was actually touching the inside spine and there was a slight notch/groove suggesting that it had touched before.

The blade seems to be mostly fine, aside from just the very slightest amount of leveling on the tip from the supposedly repeated contact. Only noticeable really if you're OCD like me.

My question is -- is this normal?

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”