Funxion EMT.

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
cody6268

Funxion EMT.

Post by cody6268 »

Normally, I don't buy Chinese knives used. But, I was able to pick this one up from the store here for just over $5 shipped. I like knives with a good strap cutter, so I picked it up. Quality is pretty decent for a cheap import; so I have started using it as my work knife. Handles are nylon plastic. Early Funxions were aluminum with rubber inserts. Perhaps mine is also due to being a budget model for Wally World.
KIMG0270 (2020-04-16T14_20_08.000).JPG
It has a 3" modified sheepsfoot blade with Speedsafe opening. It fires out pretty quick. Action isn't as smooth as my USA Kershaws, but pretty decent given this is a budget model. I love the blade shape. Work knives, by my choice and taste, almost always have serrated blades for rope and brush.
KIMG0271 (2020-04-16T14_20_30.000).JPG
Note back of blade says "3Cr13" and "3100WM". Given Kershaw's website says it uses the good 8Cr13MOV and my knowledge of Kershaw model numbers; I presume Kershaw had a cheaper version for Walmart that is 3Cr13 steel. From what I'm seeing 3Cr13MOV is equal to 420J2, which as I understand, is some pretty cheap stuff. Given this knife is so cheap, it is "no holds barred" and will be a work beater, thus it will be seeing real edge retention and toughness tests (within reasonable limits--I never pry with a knife or use it as a screwdriver).
KIMG0272 (2020-04-16T14_20_44.000).JPG
The clip. A nice little deep carry clip. Grabs most of my clothing, from my jeans, to my sweatpants, to the duck cloth on my Carhartt jacket with ease. However, from what I'm reading, it tends to break. But, this still carries Kershaw's excellent warranty. Originally, there was a window breaker attached to the top of the handle near where the clip attaches; but I unscrewed and removed it. It seemed much too soft to actually work, and it was just asking to ruin anything the knife got near.

KIMG0273 (2020-04-16T14_20_59.000).JPG
Now onto the tools.

The main selling point of it being an "EMT" knife is the strap cutter. It is designed for the cutting of straps, cordage, clothing, and seatbelts. I mostly use it on paracord and baler twine.

The cutter itself is very sharp, and works great. I think it could have been reversed in its positioning in the tool. The 1/4 hex bit driver is a joke, does not work. The large slotted SD on the tip works great. Bottle opener not yet tested.
KIMG0274 (2020-04-16T14_21_14.000).JPG
Both the carabiner and cutter have linerlocks. The cutter I can open easily with just my left hand.
KIMG0275 (2020-04-16T14_21_23.000).JPG
The carabiner. I mostly use it as a tip lock in a similar way as to my Chive, to keep something from nudging the flipper, and firing the blade open. That's intended to keep one from trying to use it with the carabiner open, but an improvised use for me. It's a really thin, and flimsy carabiner. As you can see, it has no problem clipping it into the tiny hole on my coat zipper. I prefer lanyard hole, and heavy duty carabiner of my choosing. One of my other rescue knives is designed with an oversized lanyard ring just for carabiners.
KIMG0276 (2020-04-16T14_21_33.000).JPG
KIMG0277 (2020-04-16T14_21_41.000).JPG
KIMG0278 (2020-04-16T14_21_50.000).JPG

Personally, as a budget knife EDC and work knife, I see no problem with it, given how little I paid for a secondhand, but barely used knife. Kershaw's $57 MSRP is stupidly high, and it is barely worth the $30 or so price I tend to see these go for new. It even feels cheaper than my $15 Filter, my only other Chinese Kershaw. The Filter, on the other hand, comes (almost) close to my Scallion. If I were working as an EMT, I'd pass and go with something higher end. And uh, avoid the Walmart model like the plague!
Doc B

Re: Funxion EMT.

Post by Doc B »

For $5-6...you can't go wrong, there. Liked your evaluation. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”