SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

Post by peanut740 »

Next are 2 strawberry bone stockmans.They are about 3 1/4" or so long.Pattern #'s 633728 and 633295.Both have Robeson "FLAME-EDGE"USA etch.
Attachments
1505674020967.jpg
1505674064067.jpg
Roger
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Next is a 4" strawberry bone stockman with a punch and etched Premium Stock.
Attachments
1505674232024.jpg
1505674283958.jpg
Roger
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Last,but far from least is a pearl doctors knife,pattern #722153.Tang stamp is The,over arched Robeson, over Cut.Co,over Rochester NY.From what I read from Tom's book it dates from 1900-10.It has Physician's Knife deep stamped/etched in the blade.It is in amazing condition for it's age.
Attachments
1505674856143.jpg
1505674883549.jpg
1505674910575.jpg
1505674940546.jpg
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a beautiful show of Robesons, Roger. Very nice. ::tu:: ::tu::
I've got a couple of those knives but not as nice as yours.
Joe
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

peanut740 wrote:Last,but far from least is a pearl doctors knife,pattern #722153.Tang stamp is The,over arched Robeson, over Cut.Co,over Rochester NY.From what I read from Tom's book it dates from 1900-10.It has Physician's Knife deep stamped/etched in the blade.It is in amazing condition for it's age.
WOW, That's one nice knife, until I read your description I though it was a new Queen made model. amazing condition is a understatement. ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Roger, you hit the mother lode in that collection. If the Robesons are that nice, I'd love to see the rest of the collection.

Sorry, I didn't see your private message earlier. I was out of the house for Alabama Game Day until late hours.

I suspect that pearl handled physicians knife is right as rain and a fabulous find.

The 138 physicians knife, I've seen as a MasterCraft pattern, although I suspect the number would have been different and in with the MasterCraft series.

The BULLDOG and Beavertail are great hefty jacks. I think the beaver is a tad shorter.

I've always wondered if the Beavertail knives weren't an advertising knife for a company that made files. The beaver is standing above a rasp or file and the word "Trademark" is below that. But, the pattern with that etch is shown in the Robeson catalog that David Clark reproduced a couple of years ago, so it must have been a pattern regularly available to any retailer.

The reason the pen on your MasterCraft celluloid jack has "quarter stops" is because the bronze bearing on that blade has fallen off and the little indents on the tang that were supposed to hold it on are catching on the edge of the backspring. Unfortunately, that hurts that knife a bit. Would be more so if it was the master.

The Strawberry Bone handled knives are great. Many years ago, Bruce Voyles published a full page color photo of a grouping of Strawberry Bone knives lying on a grey piece of Barnwood. I tried for years to acquire the knives to duplicate that photo. Not sure I ever succeeded, I haven't checked lately. I might still be one shy.

Your post is almost enough to put me back into Robeson collecting. ::tu::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

And thank you for bringing the thread back to its roots in such a big way.

No offense to those posting Queen made non-reproductions. :roll:

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Joe,Gary and Charlie.The doctors knife may have been very lightly buffed,but maybe not.It is the best knife in the collection, but everything is pretty good.
It is by far the best doctors knife I have ever had and the 2nd best I have ever seen.Tommy Clark earlier this year had a New York Knife pearl doctors that was etched and had fat handles for pearl.What made it better was it was in it's original box and had a card in it compliments of a pharmacy wishing a Merry Christmas in like 1927.
Charlie the Bulldog and the Beaver are the same length,but the bolsters on the Beaver are longer.Blades appears to be the same and the pins are in the same place except for the one next to the bolster.
The collection had several Schrade Waldens,Keen Kutters,OVB'S and many others(Including 4 Maher & Grosh ) :D
Roger
RobesonsRme.com

So now we know why you bought it. You were after those Maher & Grosh knives.

And my memory was faulty re' the two heavy jacks. The BULLDOG is shown in the catalog as 3 1/8" long and the Beavertail at 3 7/8".

I suspect there was a misprint as you state they are the same. I've never had an opportunity to see both at the same time, but I find it hard to visualize a 6/8" difference in closed length.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Impossible to follow that great show of knives. But here is my latest Robeson.
Attachments
20170917_153431(0).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
espn77

Post by espn77 »

peanut740 wrote:Last,but far from least is a pearl doctors knife,pattern #722153.Tang stamp is The,over arched Robeson, over Cut.Co,over Rochester NY.From what I read from Tom's book it dates from 1900-10.It has Physician's Knife deep stamped/etched in the blade.It is in amazing condition for it's age.
This knife is the coolest knife I've ever seen. In any brand!!!!! Thanks for showing it Roger.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Here is one I missed posting the other day. I had laid it with a couple NYK's.62201 pattern,it has a split in the bolster.Etched W.L.R.Stewart.
Attachments
1505946483691.jpg
1505946511302.jpg
Roger
RobesonsRme.com

Roger, that's a nice old knife.

I've seen very few of the 001 pattern and only a couple had bone handles.

Prior to moving to Perry, New York, circal 1900, Robeson did not use pattern numbers. They started using them shortly after the move, however, and they assigned the first handle-die shape number, 001, to this pattern.

I have one in ebony and its stamp is a very early, possibly the initial ShurEdge stamp.

Have to wonder who W. L. R. Stewart might have been. I have found that a great many Robeson knives with blade etches were done for firms that were fairly local, New York State or Pennsylvania, for instance. Don't know why that would be the case, so a purely anecdotal opinion.

Charlie
Attachments
122001B.jpg
122001B.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
SlantShurEdgeStamp.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

A very brief Google search turned up a W. L. R. Stewart who was a hardware dealer and local politician in Walworth County, Wisconsin.

https://books.google.com/books?id=K1Q0A ... rt&f=false

If you scroll the pages, he appears first as clerk and later as president of the board of registrars and then as one of two or three hardware dealers.

Hopefully, his name will be highlighted in yellow wherever it appears.

In another document, a W. L. R. Stewart is listed as an officer in a bank in Whitewater, Wisconsin, which is in Walworth County, so probably the same man.

That's a possibility, but he seems to have been prominent in the 19th century. I don't know if he was still active in the early 20th.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Charlie,that`s interesting.I suppose he could still be going 30 or so years later.I have been coming home after work and slowing going thru the 70 knives in the group.The joints are dry and sticky on many of them and I`ve been using quick release oil on them and showing them some love.I will have to take a group photo and post it.
Roger
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

This is one of several Robesons I've acquired, it's 4 1/2" lockback hunter. Knife has been used and shows wear but still has a very tight lock up.
I'm very impressed with the jigging on this one, I haven't handled many Robesons, this is my first with this type of jigging and I think its cool... 8)
You can tell a skilled craftsman built this knife, I would have liked to broken it in.... ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

That shield is a little clumsy.
Roger
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Roger that shield has bothered me also, if by clumsy you mean a bit high and off kilter a little, your right... ::hmm::
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

My 'new' one together with a F.A.Bower.
20171013_130608.jpg
Erwin
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I found this old Robeson Shuredge daddy Barlow in a junk box at the local flea market for $1 awhile back and it was in bad shape. Its a 511224 and had bone handles, 1 missing and 1 broken, one of the steel liners was badly bent, and the whole thing was a mass of rust. Cleaned it up, straightened the liner, rehandled in dyed oak burl, and carry it in MY pocket. You can really put an edge on these old Robesons too.
IMG_1687.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!
Great save Old Cutler. ::tu::
Beautiful handles. ::tu::
Joe
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

FRJ
Thanks. This thing was a real mess. Notice on the bolster in the center of the C there is a big gash in the metal, and this has steel or iron bolsters. To bad these old knives get abused to death like that.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

A couple Easy Openers , the bone handle one is a Whopping 5’ closed :shock:
Attachments
9D601D88-E56A-4035-AE74-7573E7EA5617.jpeg
2ECA39CD-DFD8-467C-AAAA-AB9820637E26.jpeg
2D8D44D8-23E1-4D0C-A924-06ED3E49EAFB.jpeg
8A173D37-9841-467B-911B-FC94B58FE9E2.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Those are both gems but the massive wormgroove teardrop (tearsplash?) is ticking ALL the boxes!

What an outstanding acquisition! Thank you for sharing it with us. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

ScoutKnives, the bone on the large EO is really nice. That is my kind of knife... beautiful!

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”