SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I use Robeson kitchen knives every day.

That one is my favorite.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Here’s a real stunner I just picked up. I love the Eureka pattern and the blade configuration on this one. Very cool punch blade patented 5-25. Pattern number 633717. The pocketeze shield is fabulous. Can’t find in any of my books. Just a nice 1930ish Robbie. Let me hear your opinions/commnts.
Attachments
3013327E-A070-4823-9E06-BD2783D2653A.jpeg
368CD64F-042F-438D-992D-1C4326526960.jpeg
KNFCOLLECTOR
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Looks like a Junior Eureka Cattle knife. What is the closed length ?
Super nice knife !
kj
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

kootenay joe wrote:Looks like a Junior Eureka Cattle knife. What is the closed length ?
Super nice knife !
kj
It measures 3-1/2” closed. Yes I love it!
KNFCOLLECTOR
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

3 1/2" & under = Junior Cattle knife, over 3 1/2" = Cattle knife.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

The reproduction catalog that David Clark published does not illustrate this knife.

It does show a very similar pattern at 3 3/8". The number is 497 and it's shown as both a two blade and a three blade, but the spey is replaced by a sheepfoot.

Beautiful knife.

I used to own one of these, but it has been sold.

I have always thought that particular PocketEze shield an indicator of age, i.e. older than the oval shield.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a very nice knife and just one of the reasons why Robeson knives always stand out among others.
Joe
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The reproduction catalog that David Clark published does not illustrate this knife.

It does show a very similar pattern at 3 3/8". The number is 497 and it's shown as both a two blade and a three blade, but the spey is replaced by a sheepfoot.

Beautiful knife.

I used to own one of these, but it has been sold.

I have always thought that particular PocketEze shield an indicator of age, i.e. older than the oval shield.

Charlie Noyes
Thanks for the comments. If you don’t mind me asking Charlie, what do you think it’s worth?
KNFCOLLECTOR
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Knfcollector, here is the younger brother or son of your Robeson PocketEze Eureka Pattern based on the shield design Charlie mentioned. It is pattern number 632717. Same pattern numbers 717. The third number “2” indicates brass lining and nickel silver bolsters. Your third number “3” indicates yours has steel lining and bolsters. That earlier? shield really makes yours very unique. I have a PocketEze Jack with this same shield! Anyway, beautiful PocketEze you were fortunate to find ::tu::
Attachments
958A3E45-46B0-4AE3-BA40-3188930B1AE7.jpeg
D38B1234-8764-4DD8-A44B-251C63A4EAFC.jpeg
08A14860-B2C4-454D-B901-A157BD635B13.jpeg
7A5DC55E-6A83-4685-8079-11B188D9BD5E.jpeg
B24AA25C-6996-4B52-ADB4-8A87D43F4EB0.jpeg
4603C398-E38E-4CDD-8082-8AF84A12DEA2.jpeg
Lloyd
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Just got this one a few days ago. Would love to know what these handles are. It is stamped Robeson over ShurEdge (in script and underlined) over U.S.A. The pattern number is either C22056 or 622056. It really looks more like 622056 but that seems to make no sense. I'm just not sure and was told to get the opinion of you guys. What can you tell me about this rascal?

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
IMG_0131.jpg
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Duffer wrote:Knfcollector, here is the younger brother or son of your Robeson PocketEze Eureka Pattern based on the shield design Charlie mentioned. It is pattern number 632717. Same pattern numbers 717. The third number “2” indicates brass lining and nickel silver bolsters. Your third number “3” indicates yours has steel lining and bolsters. That earlier? shield really makes yours very unique. I have a PocketEze Jack with this same shield! Anyway, beautiful PocketEze you were fortunate to find ::tu::
That’s a real stunner. The blades are remarkable. I don’t know which is earlier but it can’t be by much. Thanks so much for sharing it. At least we both know they made this odd configuration. Congratulations on owning such a beaut.
KNFCOLLECTOR
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

knfcollector wrote:Here’s a real stunner I just picked up. I love the Eureka pattern and the blade configuration on this one. Very cool punch blade patented 5-25. Pattern number 633717. The pocketeze shield is fabulous. Can’t find in any of my books. Just a nice 1930ish Robbie. Let me hear your opinions/commnts.
Simply beautiful..
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

edge213 wrote:
knfcollector wrote:Here’s a real stunner I just picked up. I love the Eureka pattern and the blade configuration on this one. Very cool punch blade patented 5-25. Pattern number 633717. The pocketeze shield is fabulous. Can’t find in any of my books. Just a nice 1930ish Robbie. Let me hear your opinions/commnts.
Simply beautiful..
Thanks, Robeson are completely underrated in my humble opinion.
KNFCOLLECTOR
RobesonsRme.com

I'm a collector, not an appraiser or dealer. I tend to buy high and end up selling low. You don't want my advice on value.

The jack posted has celluloid handles. I've seen that particular cell pattern of Robeson knives before.

They did use the letter "C" as the first digit of a pattern number of a cell handled knife. It's been documented and I have one that is so stamped and it's as clear as day.

They subsequently used an "8" to designate patterned celluloid.

It's not inconceivable that the knife was assembled with the wrong master blade, one for a bone handled knife. I've seen that error before and it's easy to imagine it happening.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Thanks for the info Charlie. I really appreciate it.

I guess you could say I am not a collector, appraiser or a dealer. I'm more of an accumulator :D If I claimed to be a collector I don't do a very good job of it as most collectors tend to have more organization or can at least make sense of their collections. Me, I just buy things because I like them and don't really worry if I occasionally pay too much because I'm not planning to sell. I guess one of these days someone in my family may sell them but I don't plan on it being me.

Thanks for looking!
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Couple of new Roberson’s today. Nice e-3/4” jack and 3-3/8” Cattle with unique utility blade that is near mint but doesn’t have any pattern numbers. Is that odd?
Attachments
47A4D820-A9AA-4D08-9624-B9B53B9211DA.jpeg
6248E1C7-CC0D-45D8-8DDC-9AC9F838A25D.jpeg
KNFCOLLECTOR
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

You had a heck of a day! Could that utility blade be a wire stripper/electrician blade? Outstanding bones on both! ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
RobesonsRme.com

I've had a knife with that blade before. It's been sold.

It doesn't have a pattern number either.

Over the years, I accumulated a large number of Robeson and Terrier knives that did not possess a stamped pattern number.

I do not know why that was.

Here is it's photo.

Looks to be the same pattern knife.

If you bought that from George Leray, it's the same knife.

Congratulations.

Charlie
Attachments
ThreeBlade3B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Either that's the same knife or the jigging machine struck the same places twice! :lol:
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I've had a knife with that blade before. It's been sold.

It doesn't have a pattern number either.

Over the years, I accumulated a large number of Robeson and Terrier knives that did not possess a stamped pattern number.

I do not know why that was.

Here is it's photo.

Looks to be the same pattern knife.

If you bought that from George Leray, it's the same knife.

Congratulations.

Charlie
No,I didn’t get off of George, although I do know him. I did get it from a friend of mine so I’ll have to ask him where he got it now. Looks like the exact same knife to me though. It is a sweet little knife.
KNFCOLLECTOR
RobesonsRme.com

The one I traded to George was the only such Robeson knife I have ever seen.

Even accounting for the different color pallet between your photo and my scan, it looks to be the same knife.

And yes, it is, indeed, a very sweet knife. ::tu::

Totally utilitarian, but very attractive.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is a Robeson Stockman 3 & 7/8 inches closed. It is a Mastercraft model/pattern no. 633666. I believe the research of Charlie Noyes has suggested the Mastercraft line of Robeson Knives was introduced in the late 1920s and remained in production until around 1940. Mastercraft Knives are unique because of the horseshoe or U shape bronze bearing that was inserted into place via a series of dovetail type cuts or slots on the tang. This did not make them easier to open but it made the 180 degree arc of movement from the closed to fully open position a silky smooth operation. Charlie has described this is in his excellent synopsis post on this feature and the inherent weakness of this design and the advent of the Perma Lube model that addresses this design flaw here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22175&p=187910&hili ... gs#p187910

This one is a very excellent condition example that has been cleaned and polished at some point post production. It has a wicked primary exaggerated clip blade, a Spey and a punch. The primary blade is tang marked Robeson/ Shuredge (script)/ Rochester. It is a fabulous well crafted folder exhibiting a very high level of fit and finish. The jigged bone handles are gorgeous and exhibit a somewhat random pattern almost like it was an act of nature and not man made. The only complaint I have with this model is the placement of the nail nick on the primary blade. Very difficult nail breaky placement close to the tang but once you get it started the bronze bearing makes the trip to full open position a delightful and very creamy smooth experience ::nod::
Attachments
5144726E-23CB-4AA5-8738-2CC0FBD3A586.jpeg
0CFCFB26-6CD8-4DDA-97DC-4AB46EE6F946.jpeg
8F2A0A7C-1931-40F2-883B-E83855F85B88.jpeg
DE480871-C420-4802-BC80-321C1D3BAE74.jpeg
3AA0DEF3-C25D-4B6A-B7DB-D9FD2FBA092D.jpeg
317DDA70-C343-46F1-AF04-402729F7430B.jpeg
F1F02415-3015-4588-B1A1-F2E75B836CE7.jpeg
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com

Very nice Lloyd. ::tu::

I think it's very difficult to discern any repetitive pattern in most of Robeson's jigged bone. It usually looks very random and natural.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The one I traded to George was the only such Robeson knife I have ever seen.

Even accounting for the different color pallet between your photo and my scan, it looks to be the same knife.

And yes, it is, indeed, a very sweet knife. ::tu::

Totally utilitarian, but very attractive.

Charlie
Is the little notch in the small blade sharp as one for stripping electrical wires or is it a nail or tack removal notch like on a box opener. The end of the blade looks like a cigar box cutter to me. That's an interesting little knife. ____Dave
RobesonsRme.com

Lloyd, I do not recall. We'll have to let the new owner answer that one.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”