SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
knfcollector

Re: SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

Post by knfcollector »

Couple of new Roberson’s today. Nice e-3/4” jack and 3-3/8” Cattle with unique utility blade that is near mint but doesn’t have any pattern numbers. Is that odd?
Attachments
47A4D820-A9AA-4D08-9624-B9B53B9211DA.jpeg
6248E1C7-CC0D-45D8-8DDC-9AC9F838A25D.jpeg
KNFCOLLECTOR
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

You had a heck of a day! Could that utility blade be a wire stripper/electrician blade? Outstanding bones on both! ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I've had a knife with that blade before. It's been sold.

It doesn't have a pattern number either.

Over the years, I accumulated a large number of Robeson and Terrier knives that did not possess a stamped pattern number.

I do not know why that was.

Here is it's photo.

Looks to be the same pattern knife.

If you bought that from George Leray, it's the same knife.

Congratulations.

Charlie
Attachments
ThreeBlade3B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Either that's the same knife or the jigging machine struck the same places twice! :lol:
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I've had a knife with that blade before. It's been sold.

It doesn't have a pattern number either.

Over the years, I accumulated a large number of Robeson and Terrier knives that did not possess a stamped pattern number.

I do not know why that was.

Here is it's photo.

Looks to be the same pattern knife.

If you bought that from George Leray, it's the same knife.

Congratulations.

Charlie
No,I didn’t get off of George, although I do know him. I did get it from a friend of mine so I’ll have to ask him where he got it now. Looks like the exact same knife to me though. It is a sweet little knife.
KNFCOLLECTOR
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The one I traded to George was the only such Robeson knife I have ever seen.

Even accounting for the different color pallet between your photo and my scan, it looks to be the same knife.

And yes, it is, indeed, a very sweet knife. ::tu::

Totally utilitarian, but very attractive.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is a Robeson Stockman 3 & 7/8 inches closed. It is a Mastercraft model/pattern no. 633666. I believe the research of Charlie Noyes has suggested the Mastercraft line of Robeson Knives was introduced in the late 1920s and remained in production until around 1940. Mastercraft Knives are unique because of the horseshoe or U shape bronze bearing that was inserted into place via a series of dovetail type cuts or slots on the tang. This did not make them easier to open but it made the 180 degree arc of movement from the closed to fully open position a silky smooth operation. Charlie has described this is in his excellent synopsis post on this feature and the inherent weakness of this design and the advent of the Perma Lube model that addresses this design flaw here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22175&p=187910&hili ... gs#p187910

This one is a very excellent condition example that has been cleaned and polished at some point post production. It has a wicked primary exaggerated clip blade, a Spey and a punch. The primary blade is tang marked Robeson/ Shuredge (script)/ Rochester. It is a fabulous well crafted folder exhibiting a very high level of fit and finish. The jigged bone handles are gorgeous and exhibit a somewhat random pattern almost like it was an act of nature and not man made. The only complaint I have with this model is the placement of the nail nick on the primary blade. Very difficult nail breaky placement close to the tang but once you get it started the bronze bearing makes the trip to full open position a delightful and very creamy smooth experience ::nod::
Attachments
5144726E-23CB-4AA5-8738-2CC0FBD3A586.jpeg
0CFCFB26-6CD8-4DDA-97DC-4AB46EE6F946.jpeg
8F2A0A7C-1931-40F2-883B-E83855F85B88.jpeg
DE480871-C420-4802-BC80-321C1D3BAE74.jpeg
3AA0DEF3-C25D-4B6A-B7DB-D9FD2FBA092D.jpeg
317DDA70-C343-46F1-AF04-402729F7430B.jpeg
F1F02415-3015-4588-B1A1-F2E75B836CE7.jpeg
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Lloyd. ::tu::

I think it's very difficult to discern any repetitive pattern in most of Robeson's jigged bone. It usually looks very random and natural.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The one I traded to George was the only such Robeson knife I have ever seen.

Even accounting for the different color pallet between your photo and my scan, it looks to be the same knife.

Charlie
Is the little notch in the small blade sharp as one for stripping electrical wires or is it a nail or tack removal notch like on a box opener. The end of the blade looks like a cigar box cutter to me. That's an interesting little knife. ____Dave
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Lloyd, I do not recall. We'll have to let the new owner answer that one.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

djknife13 wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:The one I traded to George was the only such Robeson knife I have ever seen.

Charlie
Is the little notch in the small blade sharp as one for stripping electrical wires or is it a nail or tack removal notch like on a box opener. The end of the blade looks like a cigar box cutter to me. That's an interesting little knife. ____Dave

No the notch in the blade isn’t sharp nor is the end of the blade which appears to be a screwdriver. I have no idea what the notch is for.
KNFCOLLECTOR
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It's a "Box Knife", used to open cigar or chocolate boxes. The screw-driver tip is used to pry a lid open slightly and the notch is a tack puller.

Here's another. Robeson made this as a three blade, as well.

Charlie
Attachments
BoxKnifeB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

This 622602 showed up today, filthy, rusted, and no snap on main due to worn tang but what a great looking knife, can see a Hickory Whittler etch. This is one of those knives I would like to find in mint condition but from what I understand finding one at all is unusual. Has very deep jigged bone.
Attachments
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Found this rosewood first and was impressed with it's quality. Good walk n talk, about an 8 pull and no wobble. A solid old boy.
Attachments
IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7746.JPG
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Shortly thereafter now that I was keeping my eyes peeled this second Robeson came out of the southwestern corner of the Cowboy State and has it all in spades ::groove::
Attachments
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

RobesonsRme.com, I sure enjoy your postings. That previous 4-blade is a looker and an education all in one. As a kid working in a small town drug store I well remember the rows of boxed cigars and their wonderful aroma when I'd open the glass oak case to help the Gents. Other than the cedar boxes which there was always a taker for we trashed the empty cigar boxes ::dang:: ::shrug::
Didn't realize times were changing and that any body would want them.
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Liking your website. :D
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

I want to add most folks of the day stored there odds & ends in tea, candy, cracker or tobacco tins not cardboard cigar boxes.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

OR-19;
Thanks for the kind words and please, call me "Charlie".

As far as I know, my website no longer exists. How are you accessing it? You have a Way-Back Machine?

Those are two very nice electricians knives.

Does that pattern interest you?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Charlie,
No time machine, searched RobesonsRme.com yesterday and viewed Gallery's I through V of outstanding examples of Robeson knives in addition to straight razors and Terriers. Oddly that page can't be found today. To the second point-yep, to a very limited extent. Found that older better brands of electrician knives are well made though basic, (were) relatively inexpensive and occasionally found in good condition without to much buyer competition.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Charlie, don't understand how the web works but I just viewed you site as well. ::shrug::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

You guys must be lucking up on archived web pages, because the hosting company inadvertently deleted my website.

I'm still paying the fees to retain my domain name and maybe I'll someday be able to recreate it.

The website can be viewed via Internet Archive Way Back Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140801000 ... onsRme.com

Just click on one of the blue dotted dates.

It doesn't display properly, but it's all there if you wish to look.

And here is my circa WWII Robeson TL-29. It never had a bail.

Charlie
Attachments
TL29B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Charlie, that rosewood of mine has a poor stamp on the 4th number as if it were stamped 3 originally but corrected to 0. Is it a pattern 222330 or 222030?

Beauty electricians knife you've posted.

Thanks,
Tom
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have a post 1948 electricians knife with the light colored handle. I don't know if these were handled in true rosewood or something else.

The pattern number is 222030.

Charlie
Attachments
222030B.jpg
222030B.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::tu::
Roger that. Much obliged for pattern number.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”