Odd kick on an English Jack

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Odd kick on an English Jack

Post by btrwtr »

The kick is still intact and the knife will close but still protect the blade edge from hitting the springs when closed.

Maybe the owner was trying to make a caplifter out of it. I am afraid that only the person that altered the knife would know the answer as to why it was done.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

GClaxon wrote:The kick would have been in the same position if it hadn’t been messed with. That’s why the mystery. Why has this tang been altered, for what purpose, or was it factory?
I don't think so, the kick is ground down. The master blade is short so I am assuming the tip was protruding above the liners so someone started filing down the tang to make it close down into the well. They obviously didn't know what they were doing and removed too much metal, definitely was not done at the factory.

I would like to see pictures looking straight down with the blades closed and open to see the length of the master blade and to see the springs, also how is the snap on the master blade both ways?
AAPK Janitor
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

Yes it’s a tad short and on its way to be retipped atm. It’s got plenty of snap both ways

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”