Robeson Boys Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
LongBlade

Robeson Boys Knife

Post by LongBlade »

A Robeson Boys Knife with bail that I purchased from KJ a few months back - thanks Roland ::handshake:: - Stamps indicate 1917-1939 time frame according to Tom K's book (and as per Charlie's reference)... Excellent++ condition with full blades - interestingly like many Robeson knives there was not a model # as a pile side stamp - handles appear to be black composition with faux jigging but in feel they appear to be more rubber-like in texture...

Was it unusual for the 1917-1939 time period not to have a model # stamped on pile side of master blade?? I am not seeing any model # stamp on the pile side of pen blade either....
Robeson Boys Knife Blades Open A1 8285.jpg

Re: Robeson Boys Knife

Post by BWT »

Very nice Lee ::tu:: ::tu:: There's nothing not to like about that one!! Nice full blades.
Bill
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

LongBlade wrote:A Robeson Boys Knife with bail that I purchased from KJ a few months back - thanks Roland ::handshake:: - Stamps indicate 1917-1939 time frame according to Tom K's book (and as per Charlie's reference)... Excellent++ condition with full blades - interestingly like many Robeson knives there was not a model # as a pile side stamp - handles appear to be black composition with faux jigging but in feel they appear to be more rubber-like in texture...

Was it unusual for the 1917-1939 time period not to have a model # stamped on pile side of master blade?? I am not seeing any model # stamp on the pile side of pen blade either....

Robeson Boys Knife Blades Open A1 8285.jpg
Very nice Lee!! :)
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill and woodwalker ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by FRJ »

Wow!
What a nice clean little knife that is, Lee. Good score. ::tu::
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That knife looks very familiar. I had one like that, but sold it, along with one other Boy's Knife, to David Clark, who then sold it to Roger Cunningham, who had it, I believe, on his table in Lexington this past August.

Neither of the knives I sold to David had pattern numbers.

The handles are pressure molded and I generally refer to that material as, "hard rubber", but I really have no idea of its actual composition.

Robeson made a Boy's Knife with pattern number 622155, which was a regular sized 3 5/8" swell-end, EZ Open jack with bail, chain and button loop.

They also made at least two the size and shape of your knife, both with chains. One was the 090 at 3" and another 030 at 3 1/4".

All of those are in the Robeson catalog reprint that David Clark published a few years back.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe and Charlie ::tu:: ...

Charlie - as you suggested I do think the handles are pressure molded “rubber” in composition - certainly unlike the hard black composition handles I’ve seen on others...

Sounds like Robeson based on your comments made a few nice Boys Knives ::nod:: ... While this one was not sold with a chain it no doubt could have easily been used with one given the bail... The chains are sometimes harder to find than the knives as many broke with use from my understanding...

Post by wlf »

A terrific addition to your collection buddy. It’s nice to collect a pattern.
Congratulations Lee.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle ::tu:: - did I say I collect Boys Knives ::paranoid:: :lol: ... like you I’m :D ...

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”