Robeson Sunfish Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
thewhyser1

Robeson Sunfish Knife

Post by thewhyser1 »

Hello, I'm new to this and would like to get some information on a knife I own. The markings are faint, but Robeson and Sure Edge are partially visible. I believe it is a sunfish knife with bone handle and numbered 622409. My research tells me that it is bone, 2 blades, brass bolster, factory pattern, from approx. 1911-12. ANY information would be greatly appreciated. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do so. Thanks, Tom
Attachments
SAM_2883.JPG
SAM_2882.JPG
SAM_2881.JPG
SAM_2879.JPG
SAM_2877.JPG
SAM_2875.JPG
Doc B

Re: Robeson Sunfish Knife

Post by Doc B »

I'm guessing that's nickel-silver, on the bolsters (end caps). It's pinned with brass pins and I'm guessing brass liners. There will be far more knowledgeable people, who will come along and give you a better answer; but, you have a very nice knife there!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Beautiful knife!!! :)
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Those are steel bolsters.Likely pre-1920.Robeson was the only company to make a swellcenter sunfish.Appears to be in pretty good shape.Nice find. ::tu::
Roger
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Handles are worm grove bone and they are beautiful ! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Tom, nice old Sunfish or Elephant Toe! Here is a thread/post on AAPK with this exact same Robeson Sunfish pattern no. 622409 you might find interesting. Welcome aboard!!

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16748&p=149864&hil ... oe#p149864
Lloyd
thewhyser1

Post by thewhyser1 »

Thank you all for the amazing information!! What a great website!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK!

You have a very nice old Robeson knife. It's seen some heavy use, but no abuse and it's a survivor, probably approaching a hundred years in age, if, indeed, it has not already exceeded that.

The blades, though tarnished, are fairly near original shape and size.

The handles are very attractive, enough so, to make the knife desirable to just about any collector of old knives.

Robeson's toenail knives were somewhat unique, in that they were swell-center, as Roger stated and they were the only company to make a swell-center, equal-end one.

Also, Robeson was the only company, as far as I know, to make their toenails using two backsprings. The large blade rides on both springs and the smaller blade on one. They also made them with one backspring. I think the single spring knife is the more rare of the two.

Here is my example, an apparent salesman sample, as it does have an inked pricing code on the master blade. The handles are kind of bland compared to some. It's the only one I've ever owned.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
622409B.jpg
622409B.jpg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I told you more knowledgeable people would come along!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
thewhyser1

Post by thewhyser1 »

WOW!!! Thank you all again. I never expected to receive so much info. and so quickly. I've spent over two years trying to identify this knife, and in one day my dreams came true. THANK YOU!!
wlf

Post by wlf »

We know everything, we just can't remember it all. :)
Welcome
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Whyser1;

The word below "ROBESON" on the master blade tang stamp is "ShurEdge".

Could you possibly tell us what might be below that?

It might be "ROCHESTER" or "ROCHESTER, N.Y." or it could be a simple, "U.S.A."

Knowing what's there would help in dating your knife more accurately.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
thewhyser1

Post by thewhyser1 »

Hi Charlie, The large blade just has "Robeson ShurEdge", however, the small blade is marked "Robeson USA". Thanks for your help!!! Tom
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Unfortunately, Robeson knives cannot be dated using the stamps on secondary blades.

There was more to the master stamp. It's just been worn off.

Assuming the stamp to have been one of the three I mentioned above, the knife's earliest possible start date would be 1911 and its latest 1939.

That is according to Tom Kalcevic, a noted Robeson collector, historian and author in, Knives Can Talk!, his seminal book on collecting Robeson Cutlery Company items. It's long out of print, but occasionally found on Ebay or Amazon or elsewhere on the internet via a search engine of your choice.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Outstanding old knife. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Welcome to AAPK!

You have a very nice old Robeson knife. It's seen some heavy use, but no abuse and it's a survivor, probably approaching a hundred years in age, if, indeed, it has not already exceeded that.

The blades, though tarnished, are fairly near original shape and size.

The handles are very attractive, enough so, to make the knife desirable to just about any collector of old knives.

Robeson's toenail knives were somewhat unique, in that they were swell-center, as Roger stated and they were the only company to make a swell-center, equal-end one.

Also, Robeson was the only company, as far as I know, to make their toenails using two backsprings. The large blade rides on both springs and the smaller blade on one. They also made them with one backspring. I think the single spring knife is the more rare of the two.

Here is my example, an apparent salesman sample, as it does have an inked pricing code on the master blade. The handles are kind of bland compared to some. It's the only one I've ever owned.

Charlie Noyes
.........beautiful, Charlie!!!...I have 2 Camillus sunfish that are among my favorites!!......just wish I had the one I used to watch my granddad whittle with!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”