Another Robey From the Fab 50s

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Robo

Another Robey From the Fab 50s

Post by Robo »

I just got this Cattle Knife, junior size, on the bay. I love the black handle to silver shield contrast. And the handle to bolster fit is flawless. My favorite blade is the sheeps foot which towers above the clip and the pen in the carry position like it's begging to be used--and it will be, of course--to open all those e-bay packages with vintage steel within.

In "Romance..." The Robeson catalog lists the same knife (with #8 handles) under the heading "Fancy Pen and Wood Craft Knives" and again (with #6 handles) under "Three Bladed Stock and Cattle Knives". Perhaps another case of a company playing fast and loose with names?
Attachments
Robeson 633865 CKJ
Robeson 633865 CKJ
Robeson 633865 CKJ2
Robeson 633865 CKJ2
Robeson 612407, 633865
Robeson 612407, 633865
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Robey From the Fab 50s

Post by doglegg »

A jewel Robo. ::tu::
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Yes sir! I agree with doglegg, & thank you for the information. That looks like a fine toothpick, too!
geocash
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

What a fine old cattle knife and those shields are a real fancy piece of work! ::tu:: Wish Robesons had been more popular in our part of the world, we don't see them very often. I've only ended up with 2 I found locally. :(
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Robo

Post by Robo »

Thanks, Fellas! The handles/shields were made off site, I'll post a link to that discussion.

Also, I've been reading a bunch of the older Robeson Forum posts and found this from Charlie who was helping to ID another Robeson:

"First thing to do is to look at the very ends of the blades tangs to see if the bronze bearings that MasterCraft knives had. If they are not present, does the knife open and close in one fluid motion or do they catch at two or three points between fully closed and fully open?"

I checked mine closely and--sure enough--I've got those bronze bearings in this Cattleman! I was surprised because I thought the outsourced handles (as much as I like them) were a sign of the efforts by Robeson to stay competitive by using cheaper materials. The mystery of the Robeson folder continues to unfold...

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=62196
Attachments
Bronze Bearings
Bronze Bearings
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Robo, that is very nice. ::tu::

Your knife, however, would be a PERMA-LUBE, not a MasterCraft, given the location of the bronze inserts. That post of mine you sited does not totally apply to your knife, essentially regarding the "stops" between closed and open.

Not all PERMA-LUBE knives had a bronze shield and not all had an etched master blade.

Another AAPK member here bought a Robeson knife a few years ago that turned out to also have the bronze bearings on the ends of the backsprings.

Just my opinion, but the value of your knife just doubled, at least.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Robo

Post by Robo »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Robo, that is very nice. ::tu::

Your knife, however, would be a PERMA-LUBE, not a MasterCraft, given the location of the bronze inserts. That post of mine you sited does not totally apply to your knife, essentially regarding the "stops" between closed and open.

Not all PERMA-LUBE knives had a bronze shield and not all had an etched master blade.

Another AAPK member here bought a Robeson knife a few years ago that turned out to also have the bronze bearings on the ends of the backsprings.

Just my opinion, but the value of your knife just doubled, at least.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie! I love learning the small distinctions. I just wish I could get my hands on a copy of "Knives Can Talk" you wouldn't have a lead, would you?
searched all the usual places...nuthin'.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Set up a daily search of Ebay and check Amazon every couple of days.

There are other bibliophile sites, but I don't know what they are anymore.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”