Help in Dating Carving Set

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Potzrus

Help in Dating Carving Set

Post by Potzrus »

::shrug:: I need some help in dating this carving set. Any help would be most appreciated.

The knife is 14" long and has some discoloration on the blade that I need to clean up. Advice? I've included an image of the box, the set and the Shuredge mark.

Note: if you click on the image, the image comes up larger

K
Attachments
Robeson carving set box.jpg
Robeson carving set.jpg
Robeson Shuredge mark.jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help in Dating Carving Set

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Katherine; Robeson Household Cutlery is not an area in which I claim any expertise, although I use it almost exclusively every day.

I can, however, provide a clue.

I have owned multiple boxes like that one, although they were for pocketknives, not kitchen cutlery sets.

Some of the boxes are marked, "THE ROBESON CUTLERY CO. ROCHESTER, N.Y.", as is yours.

Others were marked "ROBESON-ROCHESTER CORPORATION ROCHESTER, N.Y. or something similar.

The date Robeson Cutlery Co and Rochester Stamping Works were merged, as stated by Tom Kalcevic in Knives Can Talk!, was 1922.

One can surmise that your cutlery set predates that.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Potzrus

Post by Potzrus »

Thanks Charlie - I was thinking along those lines. I've been gently cleaning the fork and it appears the bezel seems to be either silver or silver plated.

The handle appears to be ebonized bone.

I appreciate the help!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I suspect the handles are genuine stag.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”