Need help Identifying my Robesons

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Need help Identifying my Robesons

Post by rustyoldknife »

Hello, I mainly collect scouts but I have 2 Robeson's that I need help identifying. The 1st one has no model number and the tang stamp dates itself to 1916-1939. I just don't believe it based on condition. I think the scales are Delrin. The knife is bright and tight with little to no age spots. Only one blade looks to ever been sharpened. The overall feel of the knife says new or within the late 30 years stuck in someone junk drawer. Please enlighten me, am I wrong?

My 2nd Robeson is a model 622187 dating to 1910-1921. The overall condition is tight and in good condition. So the model number tells me Bone, 2 blade and Brass liners and Nickle-Silver bolsters, what does 187 tell me.

Thanks
Attachments
ShuredgeUSA-4164.JPG
ShuredgeUSA-4165.JPG
ShuredgeUSA-4166.JPG
ShuredgeUSA-4177.JPG
ShuredgeUSA-4179.JPG
Robeson622187-4167.JPG
Robeson622187-4168.JPG
Robeson622187-4169.JPG
Robeson622187-4172.JPG
Robeson622187-4173.JPG
David
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help Identifying my Robesons

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The last three digits are the pattern number. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ng-system/ I’m no Robeson expert but there are a couple here so one of them will likely be able to help. Meanwhile there’s some Robeson information in the Research section here on AAPK which can be accessed by clicking on Research in the dark header above, next to where it says Sell. (Between “Sell” and “Discuss”.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Nice knives. ::tu::

The stockman knife does not have Delrin handles, they are bone.

Dating of knives by tang stamp is a dubious task, at best. Unless someone produces factory documentation stating such a change, as is the case with some Case Cutlery Co. stamps, it's all semi-educated guesswork. The dates you quoted for that stamp, ROBESON / ShurEdge / U.S.A., was posited by Tom Kalcevic of Upstate New York and author of two definitive books on Robeson. He had access to some still living factory employees, some factory records and the wife of Emerson Case, president of Robeson from about 1948 to 1965. And even with all that, his dates are only estimates.

Your three blade stockman, based on its tang stamp and the bone and my personal semi-educated guess, dates to just before or during the very early part of WWII.

Your two blade 187 is a four inch long double-ended Jack, more commonly called a "Moose".

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Charlie and Ken., Thank You very much for your reply's.

I sure would have lost that bet on the authenticity of the Stockman.
Considering its condition it was either locked away in someones collection for many years or lost in the back of a junk drawer.

As far as the Double ended Jack or "Moose" It still has solid snaps at both half and full and while the bone says it was an everyday carry, it has aged well!

Again, Thanks for the education
David
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have a stockman similar to yours with similar bone and probably the same size.

This one doesn't have a pattern number, either.

And it has the same tang stamp.

Charlie
Attachments
ThreeBlade5B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You’re welcome David. Charlie is the man especially when it comes to Robeson. That’s why he’s paid twice as much as me! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Charlie, Thank you for sharing. They do look alike but your blades look unused. ::tu::
David
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

David, you're welcomed. ::tu::

They are both nice knives.

I have no explanation for the lack of a pattern number. That's not unusual for Robeson, but I wonder what the reason was in this case. WWII?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”