Robeson 12250 Jumbo Jack

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Doc B

Re: Robeson 12250 Jumbo Jack

Post by Doc B »

JohnR wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 pm
Doc B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:54 pm Very nice, John! What;s the closed length, on a Jumbo Jack? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Thank you, jumbo's run 3 7/8" to 4 1/4" or so, what really sets them apart is their mass, usually wide, thick, heavily built.
That spear is killer! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Now that is beautiful!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beautiful old Robeson! Well done.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

JohnR wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 pm After going over a year without finding a Jumbo Jack found my second one this month, a Robeson 12250, nice unmolested condition with an etch, I think it dates 1910 to 1920.
Awesome find. A beaut for sure!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

John , finding a Robeson in that condition in any pattern would be a great find. The simple beauty of the ebony handles and the unique blade etch just send your knife over the top. I bet she is a nice handful. Enjoy that knife. Some of us here will be a little ::mdm:: with envy. Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nice find John. Those big jacks are my favorite. I have a bunch of 99's. ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

bladebuddy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:11 am John , finding a Robeson in that condition in any pattern would be a great find. The simple beauty of the ebony handles and the unique blade etch just send your knife over the top. I bet she is a nice handful. Enjoy that knife. Some of us here will be a little ::mdm:: with envy. Steve B.

Thank you all ::tu:: ::tu::

Steve, totally agree, the large amount of ebony with a large shield is such a simple classy look, most of the Jumbo's I've seen have been ebony or dark cocobolo, I have seen one in jigged bone.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have seen that etch before, but on a straight razor and I’ve seen that three leaf clover logo on an old knife box.

These big jacks from Robeson are most often etched BULL DOG and I have seen one etched, KEEN EDGE.

There is a similar knife, though somewhat smaller with a beaver/file etch.

Later ones have smooth black composition handles without a change in pattern numbers.

I think the OP knife is quite old and absolutely beautiful.

If I owned one like that, I would eventually die still owning it.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”