Unusual Robeson Scout knife - Opinions Please

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Dadumpsterdiver

Unusual Robeson Scout knife - Opinions Please

Post by Dadumpsterdiver »

Evening-

I found this Robeson Scout on the well-known auction site recently. Well, all signs point to Robeson. The knife has a sheepsfoot blade as it's main blade. Has the patent on the recognize it anywhere can / bottle opener. All other tang stamps have been obliterated, save for some remnants on the bottom. I know that many knife manufacturers did this on knives that were seconds, but I'm trying to figure out why this was a second. Or was the fact that it has a sheepsfoot blade as the master? ::shrug:: ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6050.jpg
IMG_6051.jpg
IMG_6052.jpg
KleenCut61

Re: Unusual Robeson Scout knife - Opinions Please

Post by KleenCut61 »

Bone color and jigging are jaw dropping i now that much ! ::tu:: The obliterated ( Lol) ::tu:: Tang is Perhaps an attempt to Lessen the lift on the can opener and master , Can opener especially can (lol) Be Difficult to open on most Vintage camp knives. Interesting Knife :D K.C. .02
Dadumpsterdiver

Post by Dadumpsterdiver »

KleenCut61 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 am Bone color and jigging are jaw dropping i now that much ! ::tu:: The obliterated ( Lol) ::tu:: Tang is Perhaps an attempt to Lessen the lift on the can opener and master , Can opener especially can (lol) Be Difficult to open on most Vintage camp knives. Interesting Knife :D K.C. .02

Yes, the scales are beautiful, but I don't think that the ground off tang stamps are for functionality, but that the knife is a factory second. I guess my main question is how unusual is it to have a sheepsfoot master on this knife? I considered the possibility that this knife has been apart and a new master added, but I don't think so.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Not Exactly sure The Reasoning behind the grinded tangs , And i know very little about Robeson in general , But if an original , I am Sure someone will let you know , And period correct , Would put it in the schrade Cut Co . Era , Which Put Sheep Blades on just about everthing .. More Common Utility Type Blade During the times ,,, But like everthing else those days seemed to have past for good .. K.C.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The sheepsfoot blade does not appear to have been created by reprofiling the large spear always found in these knives.

I have never seen such a scout/utility from Robeson and there is no accounting of the number I have seen.

The patent date of April 25th, 1905 should help date the knife as patents and their extensions are limited by law. Maybe someone knows. Apply the maximum number of years a patent is in force to 1905 and that will be the latest possible date of manufacture.

The knife is definitely pre-WWII, based on multiple aspects of manufacture and appearance.

Robeson did grind off their own stamps and sell them to Fulton Cutlery Co. and those were restamped, "F. C. CO."

However, they did, generally, a much better job of it than is seen on the OP knife. I think the grinding has the appearance of having been much more recently done.

Very interesting Robeson knife and I agree, that bone is killer.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

From 1861 to 1994 (long time period!). the term for patents was 17 years. So knife probably dates from 1905 to 1922. I have a Robeson belt punch knife with the same patent so I was curious about its date
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Hope that gives a better date
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Well shame tang stamp on op knife messed up as it may have allowed a close Mfgr time frame. My knife can be narrowed down to 1916 the earliest date for my tang stamp to 1922 the last date for the patent. Hope this makes sense and I have not put everyone to sleep 😴

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”