Robeson 633594 dating question

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Alpine Project

Robeson 633594 dating question

Post by Alpine Project »

I need some AAPK help dating this Robeson 633594. According to the tang stamp (ref. robesonsrme.com, AAKP Robeson research), it was manufactured between 1917 & 1939, but its condition makes me question that. The pictures show some of the features that may help date it: the "Premium Stock" etch on the master blade, the tang stamp, the blade configuration, the double brass liners and scales (I am about 98% sure it's bone, but that needs verification from my AAPK friends).

Any additional information is greatly appreciated. I bought the knife at an antique shop, and it could be that it spent 80+ years in someone's dresser drawer, and I got a hell of a deal and find.
Robeson 633594 1.jpg
Robeson 633594 2.jpg
Robeson 633594 3.jpg
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Robeson 633594 dating question

Post by Gone2Three »

That is definitely one nice, very clean Robeson knife! ::tu::
Far from an expert but from the shrinkage near the bolsters it could be composite scales... but who knows ::shrug::
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I only have a few Robeson folding knives but i have not seen this tang marking before.
After Robeson closed Queen made some knives branded "Robeson". Could this be a more recent knife than you think and made by Queen ?
I hope a Robeson collector will post the correct ID.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

It is a Robeson knife made in the Robeson factory in Perry, New York.

The handles are a pressure molded black composition supplied to the Robeson company by, I believe, Rogers Bone.

Probably dates to the 1950's. Such a knife from 1917 to 1939 would not have those handles.

For some reason, known only to them, Robeson either created that stamp for a series of knives in the 50's, most specifically a square bolstered large three blade stockman with Art Deco engraved or stamped aluminum handles and its counterpart with black composition handle inserts, held on by tiny rivets, or they revived an old stamp, neither I nor Tom Kalcevic have never actually seen on an old knife.

That etch is generally pre-WWII. Not sure I've ever seen it on a post-war knife. Could be wrong on that, but definitely not used after 1948.

I'm just "reading" the knife here, based on what I've learned and seen in the last thirty-three years of collecting Robeson knives.

Anyone that disagrees, feel free to opine.

I have never actually seen the OP knife before and I find it quite desirable.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:44 am a square bolstered large three blade stockman with Art Deco engraved or stamped aluminum handles

Charlie Noyes
Here's one.
Attachments
DSCN9167.JPG
DSCN9170.JPG
Joe
Alpine Project

Post by Alpine Project »

Thanks everyone for the information - especially RobesonRme. I suspected that the scales were not bone, and didn't seem to be 8o+ years old. Still, it was a great find and deal as well as a really well made knife. Anyone with more information, please chime in. Again, thanks!

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”