My latest find

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
OSCAR

My latest find

Post by OSCAR »

Came across this old Robeson swing guard with bone handles. Haven’t dated it yet but it looks pretty old. A definite keeper.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest find

Post by doglegg »

Congrats OSCAR. ::tu:: ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

doglegg wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 pm Congrats OSCAR. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Doglegg.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OSCAR wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:29 am Came across this old Robeson swing guard with bone handles. Haven’t dated it yet but it looks pretty old. A definite keeper.
Very cool ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Nice find Oscar, definitely a keeper.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

luckydog64 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm Nice find Oscar, definitely a keeper.
Thanks Luckydog64 ::ds::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a Sweetie! ::tu:: Are you sure that it is bone?
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Oscar ::tu:: ::tu:: Good find!!
Bill
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

It’s a 1948 to 1965 knife.

I suspect the handles are yellow celluloid.

Does it have a pattern number that you can read? They are often obscured by the folding guard.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:08 am It’s a 1948 to 1965 knife.

I suspect the handles are yellow celluloid.

Does it have a pattern number that you can read? They are often obscured by the folding guard.

Charlie
Hey Charlie. I checked. Either that pattern number isn’t present or my old eyes can’t see it. The tang stamp is there but it’s pretty hard to see. I need to try and research it some.
RobesonsRme.com

It looks like an 812872 and the tang stamp, ROBESON / SHUREDGE (Block) / U.S.A., places it circa 1948 - 1965, although I'm not sure they continued this pattern all the way to their demise in 1965.

Your knife looks to have a flat grind blade and mine a concave grind. That isn't unusual. I had several of this pattern at one time with different handle materials and blade grinds, but the pattern shape number remained the same on all, 872.

Charlie
Attachments
22-812872.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm It looks like an 812872 and the tang stamp, ROBESON / SHUREDGE (Block) / U.S.A., places it circa 1948 - 1965, although I'm not sure they continued this pattern all the way to their demise in 1965.

Your knife looks to have a flat grind blade and mine a concave grind. That isn't unusual. I had several of this pattern at one time with different handle materials and blade grinds, but the pattern shape number remained the same on all, 872.

Charlie
Cool knife Charlie ::tu::
David
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:38 pm
RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm It looks like an 812872 and the tang stamp, ROBESON / SHUREDGE (Block) / U.S.A., places it circa 1948 - 1965, although I'm not sure they continued this pattern all the way to their demise in 1965.

Charlie
Cool knife Charlie ::tu::
I’m hoping that the handles of mine are bone. I don’t knowingly get celluloid as the can outgas and corrode. Mine shows no sign of corrosion so it probably isn’t celluloid. Perhaps it could be Delrin ? In any case, it’s a great knife.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is a fine looking knife OSCAR. Glad you got it. One can't rely on non-corrosion indicating non-celluloid. Some, perhaps many, celluloid covers never off gas. Others off gas only after many decades, e.g. 80 to 100 years.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Charlie
Charlie, except for the difference in the blade grind, they could be twins.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm

Charlie

The OP knife sure looks like celluloid to me.
David
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Charlie

I’m ok with that as long as it doesn’t outgas. I had a rare knife that did so I sent it off to be re- handled. Sent it to Muskrat Man on AAPK. He did a superb job. The Robeson hasn’t yet and it’s fairly old. Hopefully it won’t. Thanks
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 am
edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:49 pm

I’m ok with that as long as it doesn’t outgas. I had a rare knife that did so I sent it off to be re- handled. Sent it to Muskrat Man on AAPK. He did a superb job. The Robeson hasn’t yet and it’s fairly old. Hopefully it won’t. Thanks

I love old celluloid. I have over a hundred of them that haven't outgassed.
Hopefully this one never will. Beautiful knife ::tu:: ::tu::
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Mine hasn't out gassed either.

Very nice yellow handled knives you guys have. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN9803.JPG
DSCN9806.JPG
DSCN9810.JPG
DSCN9815.JPG
DSCN9824.JPG
Joe
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

FRJ wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:45 am Mine hasn't out gassed either.

Very nice yellow handled knives you guys have. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Beautiful knife ‘ But then, I’m partial to it. Oscar
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, OSCAR. ::tu::
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

As far as the OP knife handles being bone, I sincerely doubt it.

Robeson did use some smooth bone, but on very, very few knives and not in the time period knife was made.

Do not get oil on the handles. Keep separate from your other knives and store in a cool, dry environment.

Check it often and strip off the handles at the first sign of deterioration.

Otherwise, enjoy your new acquisition.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:34 pm As far as the OP knife handles being bone, I sincerely doubt it.

Robeson did use some smooth bone, but on very, very few knives and not in the time period knife was made.

Do not get oil on the handles. Keep separate from your other knives and store in a cool, dry environment.

Check it often and strip off the handles at the first sign of deterioration.

Otherwise, enjoy your new acquisition.

Charlie
Thanks again Charlie——-Oscar

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”