What can you tell me about this man sized toothpick?

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Rimfirekyle

What can you tell me about this man sized toothpick?

Post by Rimfirekyle »

I have this Robeson toothpick I was lucky enough to win for $0. I'm so glad I did because it's a gem. I cleaned 2 messes of squirrels with it the other day. Still sharp! What steel is "tool steel" ? What can you tell me about it? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_20210924_113301_120.jpg
cody6268

Re: What can you tell me about this man sized toothpick?

Post by cody6268 »

If that is a Queen made Robeson, the "Tool Steel" is most likely D2. A lot of people complain about D2 being so hard to sharpen (which it sort of is, but I touch mine up on ceramic rods) but I find it performs very well, even better than S30V or S35VN in my use. D2 is a very tough steel, and as I understand, usually used to produce the dies for knives in regular carbon and stainless steels. D2 WILL NOT chip under any circumstances; and it holds its edge longer than supposedly more wear-resistant steels with less toughness. Especially a good D2 like Queen or Benchmade.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:24 pm If that is a Queen made Robeson, the "Tool Steel" is most likely D2. A lot of people complain about D2 being so hard to sharpen (which it sort of is, but I touch mine up on ceramic rods) but I find it performs very well, even better than S30V or S35VN in my use. D2 is a very tough steel, and as I understand, usually used to produce the dies for knives in regular carbon and stainless steels. D2 WILL NOT chip under any circumstances; and it holds its edge longer than supposedly more wear-resistant steels with less toughness. Especially a good D2 like Queen or Benchmade.
I love D2 steel. I have several modern knives with D2 and it is a workhorse. I don't understand the aversion to sharpening some people have with traditional knives. Like the recent GEC barlows in 440c stainless. That steel would be laughable in a modern folder. But a modern stainless like m390 or 20cv would have been amazing. But people would have undoubtedly complained it was too hard.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:24 pm If that is a Queen made Robeson, the "Tool Steel" is most likely D2. A lot of people complain about D2 being so hard to sharpen (which it sort of is, but I touch mine up on ceramic rods) but I find it performs very well, even better than S30V or S35VN in my use. D2 is a very tough steel, and as I understand, usually used to produce the dies for knives in regular carbon and stainless steels. D2 WILL NOT chip under any circumstances; and it holds its edge longer than supposedly more wear-resistant steels with less toughness. Especially a good D2 like Queen or Benchmade.
But! I hope it is D2 and takes a nice patina with some use.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

But! I hope it is D2 and takes a nice patina with some use.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rimfirekyle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 pm
I love D2 steel. I have several modern knives with D2 and it is a workhorse. I don't understand the aversion to sharpening some people have with traditional knives. Like the recent GEC barlows in 440c stainless. That steel would be laughable in a modern folder. But a modern stainless like m390 or 20cv would have been amazing. But people would have undoubtedly complained it was too hard.
Don’t sell 440C short. It’s still the steel of choice for many custom makers - I’ll take it any time! There’s nothing “laughable” about it.

https://www.jayfisher.com/Blades.htm#440C

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 pm
Don’t sell 440C short. It’s still the steel of choice for many custom makers - I’ll take it any time!

Ken
It's one of my go-to steels as it approaches high-end performance without spending $100 or more on sharpening devices/gear. Along with 154CM and VG-10; it's got the right balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening. I think a lot of knife companies, I swear (half-jokingly) use such high end steels to sell high end sharpening systems.

I can usually get a working edge on abused old 440C Bucks using a super-cheap set of Harbor Freight diamond stones and the existing synthetic stones I own (Carborundum, Norton "India" and presumably Aluminum Oxide or similar) and or the inexpensive Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener (basically a carrier with coarse and fine diamond stones, a ceramic rod, and a strop). I got a 105 screaming sharp with little knowledge.

Most Chinese knives that are "440C" are actually 8Cr13MOV which is considerably worse than a good 440C in my use.

And the Italians seem to like it a lot, given how many Fox and others seem to still use the steel.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

Don’t sell 440C short. It’s still the steel of choice for many custom makers - I’ll take it any time! There’s nothing “laughable” about it.

Ken
My experience with 440c has been with cheaper knives, so that's undoubtedly had an effect on my opinion.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm
Don’t sell 440C short. It’s still the steel of choice for many custom makers - I’ll take it any time!

Ken
It's one of my go-to steels as it approaches high-end performance without spending $100 or more on sharpening devices/gear. Along with 154CM and VG-10; it's got the right balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening. I think a lot of knife companies, I swear (half-jokingly) use such high end steels to sell high end sharpening systems.

I can usually get a working edge on abused old 440C Bucks using a super-cheap set of Harbor Freight diamond stones and the existing synthetic stones I own (Carborundum, Norton "India" and presumably Aluminum Oxide or similar) and or the inexpensive Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener (basically a carrier with coarse and fine diamond stones, a ceramic rod, and a strop). I got a 105 screaming sharp with little knowledge.

Most Chinese knives that are "440C" are actually 8Cr13MOV which is considerably worse than a good 440C in my use.

And the Italians seem to like it a lot, given how many Fox and others seem to still use the steel.
Great info! Thank you!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rimfirekyle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Ken
My experience with 440c has been with cheaper knives, so that's undoubtedly had an effect on my opinion.
Entirely possible, even likely. The type of steel is just one part of the equation. How it is heat treated/tempered is the key to how it performs. 440C in the hands of a good knife maker is hard to beat. For more on 440C: https://www.jayfisher.com/440C-Love-Hate.htm Scroll down past the pictures to see more info about 440C.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”