Is This Knife A Legit Robeson? Any Opinions Greatly Appreciated!

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is This Knife A Legit Robeson? Any Opinions Greatly Appreciated!

Post by herbva »

I am a total sucker for large folding knives and recently fished this one off "the bay". The seller did not market it as a Robeson, or even mention a brand name, so I am happy with the knife even if it isn't a real Robeson. The knife measures exactly 4". As you can see in the pictures, the only visible tang stamp is on the mark side of the pen blade, and it looks to me to be the Robeson stamp used from 1896-1899. I have looked for any hint of a stamp on the primary blade, and don't see any marks that I can say conclusively are the remnants of a tang stamp. And, I don't see any hint of either blade being a replacement. The knife did have a poorly done patch next to the pile side rocker pin, which I have redone, and I have "zapped" the cracks on that side. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated. Charlie, I'm hoping that you will chime in! :D
Attachments
DSCN9755.JPG
DSCN9756.JPG
DSCN9757.JPG
DSCN9759.JPG
DSCN9760.JPG
DSCN9761.JPG
DSCN9762.JPG
DSCN9763.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
BWT

Re: Is This Knife A Legit Robeson? Any Opinions Greatly Appreciated!

Post by BWT »

Can’t help you out Herb, except to say ::tu:: ::tu:: I like it!
Bill
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

It looks like a real Robeson to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have no info for you Herb, ::shrug:: but it sure is a cool good looking knife! ::tu:: Really like the butterscotch color! 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks good to me, but Charlie Noyes (RobesonsRme.com) is the Robeson man. ::nod:: Hopefully he will see this and enlighten us all with his thoughts on it, or you could send him a PM.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

The knife looks legit to me. The stamp dates the knife from 1894-1922 from the info I have. I can't see the liners but I believe the pattern # could be 622037. That would be for a 4" Jumbo Jack with bone handles, two blades, brass liners and nickel silver bolsters. Charlie may come along and correct me on this later. Nice find though. Rick.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:46 pm Looks good to me, but Charlie Noyes (RobesonsRme.com) is the Robeson man. ::nod:: Hopefully he will see this and enlighten us all with his thoughts on it, or you could send him a PM.
Ken. I sent him a PM on Monday (3 days ago) and its still in my outbox. I hope he's OK. ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

herbva wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:54 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:46 pm Looks good to me, but Charlie Noyes (RobesonsRme.com) is the Robeson man. ::nod:: Hopefully he will see this and enlighten us all with his thoughts on it, or you could send him a PM.
Ken. I sent him a PM on Monday (3 days ago) and its still in my outbox. I hope he's OK. ::teary_eyes::
I surely hope so also. Give him some time - not everybody logs in here daily. Then there’s the scenario of actually noticing you have a PM waiting……………

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Hopefully Charlie will get back to you, Herb. Awesome find! 😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I am fine. Didn’t see this post and didn’t get the PM because my inbox was too full.

Even after trimming it down to five, it wouldn’t load the three that were on hold.

Looks Robesonesque to me.

Lack of a tang stamp on the master is a bit bothersome, but the bone is Robeson and the pattern familiar.

Pretty sure it isn’t an 037, though. That was a 4” equal-end cigar pattern.

Trying to date a Robeson knife by any stamp other than that on the master blade is simply not possible. Secondary stamps mean nothing, as far as I have been able to ascertain.

I have a four blade pearl with that stamp on all three secondary blades and I guarantee it doesn’t date to the nineteenth century. It might well date to the 1920’s, but frankly, right now, I don’t recall exactly what is on its master blade. I’ll have to pull it out of storage and have a look.

All that is to say I think your knife is fine, but I have no idea why its master blade is not marked and any idea I might postulate here would be pure speculation.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thank you very much Mr. Noyes. Everything you said makes perfect sense. I have encountered quite a few knives of different brands with secondary blade tang stamps that predate the primary blade stamp. In other words, as I have read and/or heard many times, it was not uncommon for knife manufacturers to use up left over stocks of secondary blades on newer knives. I'll just have to assume that the stamp on the primary blade was a lighter stamp and wore off before a heavier or deeper stamp on the secondary blade. Thanks again and best regards.

Herb
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I magnified the photo of the tangs as much as I could. I see nothing. I don’t think it ever had a stamp.

Lots of folks call such knives, regardless of maker, “lunch box knives”, meaning they were cobbled together by an employee and taken from the plant surreptitiously.

That would, taken altogether, make for a lot of dishonest cutlers.

I find it funny that we routinely refer to knives being “cobbled” together, when that tern refers purely to the making of shoes.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”