Robeson Suredge 622319 Pattern Variation

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Robeson Suredge 622319 Pattern Variation

Post by Lama »

I found this 2 7/8" Dog Leg Jack as part of an estate lot earlier this year. It's stamped with the 622319, which to my understanding is a 3" pen knife pattern. The closest size and pattern match I can find is 722183 Peal Dog Leg Jack. This one appears to have Delrin covers, nickel silver bolsters, with brass scales and liner. It is in as found condition. I'm wondering if anyone has seen another Dog Leg Jack with this pattern number.
Attachments
IMG_0239.jpeg
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0241.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0245.jpeg
IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0248.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg
IMG_0250.jpeg
Suredan

Re: Robeson Suredge 622319 Pattern Variation

Post by Suredan »

I am no expert so I cannot comment on the variation question. However, I would call that knife a peanut pattern. Someone please explain the difference if I am incorrect. Thanks!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Cannot prove my opinion, but knowing Robeson as I think I do, that blade is not original to the knife.

The only way I see that not being the case is a cutler simply putting the wrong blade in it. That would have been sloppy work and by 1960, when that Delrin was initiated, their quality had declined, but that would have still been an egregious error.

Dog legs go up, peanuts go down.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Thanks for your thoughts on this knife and the handy reminder that dog legs go up and peanuts go down. It's a really clean job if someone replaced the blade.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

As I said, could have been put in in error. The guy was simply pulling blades out of a wooden box. No guarantee they were all the same.

I think I have a 622183 in Strawberry Delrin here somewhere, but, apparently, haven't stored a photo of it on this PC.

Here's the 722183 in pearl you mentioned.

I think the 319 blade is a bit larger than that in the 183. And the 183 has a bit of Turkish Clip to it.
Attachments
722183B.jpg
722183B.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Thanks for the photo. It’s a beauty. I think that’s the one I referenced… from your website. A great resource, just like this forum. I took in what you said about it possibly being a mistake and can only imagine how many of these a line worker would have assembled in a shift. And how easy it would be to grab the wrong blade. All in all, it’s an interesting knife, certainly unique. This kind of finds are what make knife collecting fun for me.
victorpatrick

Post by victorpatrick »

It sounds like you have come across an interesting vintage pocket knife with a Dog Leg Jack pattern. The pattern number "622319" indicates a specific design and configuration for the knife. While I don't have access to specific historical records, I can offer some general insights into pocket knife patterns and how pattern numbers might relate to the knife's characteristics.

Pocket knife pattern numbers are often used by manufacturers to identify specific designs and configurations of knives. These pattern numbers help both manufacturers and collectors distinguish between different styles, sizes, and variations of knives. The pattern number "622319" likely corresponds to a particular design and size within the manufacturer's catalog. pge outage map

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”